Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

gus

Default Mysterious wet-spot in middle of wood floor

A wet spot appears in the middle of my wood floor whenever it rains.
I've recently replaced the roof but the spot continues.

Yesterday, my chimney guy went under the crawlspace and said that the
spot is mold that "activates" whenever it rains due to the humidity
and I need to rip out the entire hardwood and subfloor. He wasn't
trying to sell me this service as he doesn't do this.

Is it possible that the mold would "activate" and look wet due to
humidity? The chimney guy said that there are no "trails" leading to
the wet spot and that there is nothing wetting the floor from the
underside. This is an old 1870's house that I just purchased. He said
that the floor must have been saturated a long time ago and the mold
started at that time. He said that the mold is in small areas and
looks white and fluffy kinda like the freezer burn you see on ice
cream that stays in the freezer too long.

Any help would be appreciated as I prepare to remove all of the the
floor.

Thanks,
Gus
gus

I've posted several questions on this board and have never received a
useful answer to any of them. Responses are always snarky or poor
attempts at humor.

Is there a better/more useful board for homeowners looking for serious
answers to serious questions?

Thanks,
Gus

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." 73115 dot 1041 at compuserve dot com wrote in message . ..
(gus) wrote:

A wet spot appears in the middle of my wood floor whenever it rains.

You don't happen to have a significant other who gets romanticly inclined when
the weather gets rainy by any chance?