Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Jim Haynes

Default Old air conditioner refrigerant?

A friend has a house with an old air conditioner that works OK except that
it is low on refrigerant. The refrigerant is C-7, which we think is
a.k.a. Carreen-7. He can't find anybody who has ever heard of that
stuff, or at least who knows what they replace it with, or if there
is any suitable replacement. Any hints?

--

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

TURTLE

"Jim Haynes" wrote in message
nk.net...
A friend has a house with an old air conditioner that works OK except that
it is low on refrigerant. The refrigerant is C-7, which we think is
a.k.a. Carreen-7. He can't find anybody who has ever heard of that
stuff, or at least who knows what they replace it with, or if there
is any suitable replacement. Any hints?

--

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

This is Turtle.

I have never heard of a freon called C-7 but I have seen compressor oil that has
details of the compressors on it and C-7 can be the oil used in the compressor
for i know there is C-1 C-2 C-3 C-4 are different oils used in hvac or
refrigeration systems.

There has only been R-12 and R-22 used in HVAC systems after 1940. The last R-12
used was in Curtis Mathus Red Wood frame / non metal frame window units and the
went to R-22 in 1951. Now all the others switched to R-22 about or before 1950.

I think you got the oil type used in the compressor and not the freon used in
it.

You need to give all the data off the tag including the model and serial number
and maybe the brand too. Then i may be able to tell you something. You might
also tell what type system it is like central , window, or chill water system.
What it is means a lot when deciding on the guess of the freon that goes in it.

TURTLE

---

Jim Haynes

Thanks. I've passed the info on to the man who needs it, who is a long
way from here. So he will have to do the label reading. He's told me the
unit is a Bryant, central a/c, but that's as much as I know. And then
digging in the library I did discover the refrigerant named Carreen-7
and thought that might be it.
--

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net