Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Me2

Default Help with well pump problem ... the pump or the pressure switch?

I have a house where the water pump would cycle on and off every 5
seconds or so during moderate water use. Today, the water delivery
shut down completely. The holding tank and pressure switch is in the
crawl space under my house so I checked the voltage on the breaker
side of the switch (240vac). I checked the voltage on the pump side of
the switch (240Vac). I then proceded to the well opening and
verified 240Vac there. So it appears that the pressure switch is
sending power to the pump, however, the pump is dead? I don't think
it is a dry well... water seemed plentifull before hand and i was
never drawing up sediment. Also, I gave ample tie for the well to
recover if that was the case. I'm not too familair with water
pump/well systems but this seems to be pointing to a bad pump, which
is probably 19 years old.

ALso, how do you adjust a pressure switch, I don't see and adjustments
on mine?

Thanks
Gary Slusser

"Me2" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I think you're right and the cause would be the short cycling and age, it
kills pump motors. But you could have an open in the cable too. So checking
the ohms and for any shorts from the top of the well to/through the motor is
in order but to do that (ohms) you need to know what motor you have so you
know what they should be. If you have a control box I think you would have
mentioned that so we 'know' you have a 2 wire pump which means no capacitor
etc. above ground. You'll probably have to pull and replace the pump or have
it done depending on the depth of the pump and the type of drop pipe you
have. If galvanized you may need a derrick pump truck but if PE tubing you
can pull it yourself down to about 150' if yer fulla muscle or you have to
use a pump pulling machine that sits on the well casing. If PVC or
galvanized you have to take the 20' pieces apart and not drop the remaining
stuff down the well while doing that. I have a machine.

Gary
Quality Water Associates
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Bulletin Board www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2

Water Pump / Pressure Tank Problem !!!!!! James Nipper Home Ownership 6 June 28th 04 02:13 AM
Pressure Problem Nenad Home Ownership 1 October 6th 03 01:46 AM
shower pump in loft problem advice required Gary Holt UK diy 3 October 2nd 03 01:57 PM
Swimming Pool Pump Tom Bahama Home Repair 11 September 6th 03 08:35 AM