Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

_firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us

Default 2-pole GFCI breaker for Edison (shared neutral) circuit

For complicated reasons (see below), I need to run two 120V 20A outlet
circuits as an Edison circuit (shared neutral), and they have to be
protected by GFCIs. I can't just use GFCI outlets.

If this were a single 120V circuit, I could do this by using the load
lugs on a GFCI. But for an Edison circuit, I can't simply use two
GFCIs (they will trip all the time, as the neutral conductor would be
shared on the load side, and they will see the load on the other side
as a fault current).

Questions: Will a 2-pole 20A GFCI breaker work? Or are those designed
purely for balanced 240V loads, and the GFCI will trip when unbalanced
load is applied via one of the 120V outlet circuits?

Explanation of what I mean and why this is needed. An Edison circuit
is two 120V circuits, wired using a shared neutral, and fed from the
two opposite phase hot legs (I don't want to start a useless debate
whether 240V is split phase or two phase, you know what I mean). This
works because under full load, the neutral currents cancel, so the
single neutral is not overloaded (you can have 20A on both of the hot
legs of the circuit, without overloading the third neutral conductor).
Usually I don't do this, because (a) more copper is a good thing, (b)
what happens if someone rearranges the breakers, and by mistake puts
both hot legs on the same phase, and (c) what happens when the whole
house is run from a single-phase 120V generator via a large transfer
switch temporarily (hint: in cases (b) and (c) the neutral conductor
overloads, and may start a fire).

Why do I have to run an Edison circuit? Because I want to install
surface raceway outlet strips along all the walls; this particular
model is made by Wiremold. You have probably seen those: They are a
two-part sheetmetal conduit, with regularly spaced outlets. They are
rated for 20A at 120V, with two circuits alternating at 1' spacing.
This is going to make for extremely convenient outlet placement
(everywhere), but the Wiremold strips are Edison wired.

Why do I need GFCI protection on all outlets? Because this is for a
basement shop. Electrical code requires GFCI protection for 120V
"normal" outlets (the common 120V 15A or 20A type) in a basement, even
though this particular basement will always be completely dry (given
the water table and the rainwater drainage).

The other thing which makes little sense: no GFCI protection is
required for outlet circuits at higher amperage. So I don't need to
provide GFCIs for a 120V 30A circuit (to be used for a rackmount UPS
for the computers), nor for the 240V 30A and 50A circuits (for the
woordworking tools and the welder), even though I would consider
electrocution danger to be considerably higher with these large
machines. Oh well.

--
The address in the header is invalid for obvious reasons. Please
reconstruct the address from the information below (look for _).
Dan Levy

wrote in message
For complicated reasons (see below), I need to run two 120V 20A outlet
circuits as an Edison circuit (shared neutral), and they have to be
protected by GFCIs. I can't just use GFCI outlets.

Why not, you didn't say. Not enough room in the wiremold boxes? There are
square boxes with a rectangular cutout on the back, typically used to put a
box on top of drywall that has a box and a mud ring behind it. You could
bolt those tight to the front of the wiremolds; it'll look a bit ugly but
will give you the requisite space.

Don't use a 240v breaker. Electrically it would work but it ties the two
circuits' overcurrent protection together. NEC requires independent
overcurrent protection for each circuit.

The 20A circuits (except for things like hot tubs and pools) don't require
GFI (even though you could use it if you want) because the equipment that
uses it is generally very sturdily grounded. You can't plug portable
lamps, fans, and other such things with skimpy or no grounding protection
into those circuits. As far as electrocution hazards, the higher current
capacity doesn't mean squat; even a 1 amp circuit would be more than
sufficient to carry a current that would kill you.

Speedy Jim

wrote:

[...]

SNIP

BTDT
The Wiremold is an excellent choice for this app.

The 2-pole GFCI breaker will work perfectly here;
it does not require a balanced load.

There is *no* requirement that each circuit be
protected by an individual breaker.

(There *is* a requirement that both circuits trip
together (2-pole handle tie) under *some* circumstances
in the NEC. Not applicable to this discussion..)

Jim