Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Giles Harney

Default replaced thermostat, EM/Aux always on.

(apologies if this is posted twice, I cancelled orig post)

I have a Bryant model 517E heat pump with a 10KW heating unit.

I have recently replaced my Bryant BDP CO. P271-457 thermostat with a
Honeywell CT3611 Programmable thermostat. I was careful to label the wires
using the letters above the screw terminals on the old thermostat. I then
matched wires to the terminals on the new thermostat. With the new
thermostat I have noticed that the aux/em heat coils are always ON when the
thermostat calls for Heat. The outdoor compressor is also on (which I know
is normal). No matter what mode the thermostat is in, Heat / Auto, Heat / On
or EM HT / On, when the thermostat calls for heat the heating coils are
always turned on.

I called Honeywell and they asked me to find out what the functions of the-
Y, G, R, O, W1, E and C terminals do then I will call them back to make sure
it is matched correctly to the new thermostat. Does anybody here know?

I also noticed on the low voltage terminal board that both the E and W1 wire
go to the same terminal, W1. In looking at the schematic in the installation
instructions, this does not appear to be correct. Should it be this way?

Thanks!
-Giles