Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

John

Default Condensing Furnaces and Septic Tanks

Hi:
Hope I'm in the right forum.

I am changing my furnace over to gas and am considering the installation of
a hi-efficiency model. Can the condensate be pumped to the septic system? I
have searched the net a lot and find conflicting advice on this. It is
acidic and contains toxins.The contractor suggested it be pumped to the
sump in my basement which I would prefer no to do as the sump remains dry
as a bone throughout the winter and only is wet in the spring. The
condensate would just lay in the bottom of the sump and evaporate into the
house (I would think). I'm not sure that there would be enough volume to
raise the level enough to start the sump pump.
What condensate volumes are we talking about anyway? I am in a nothern
climate and we do get as cold as -40. We are sizing around 70kbtu.

Maybe I should just go mid - efficient as I already have a chimney.
TIA
John

--------
" 'Normal' is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving
through traffic in a car that you are still paying for, in order to get to
the job that you need so you can pay for the clothes, car, and the house
that you leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it."
Ellen Goodman
--------

http://www.greatriv.org/vs.htm
Not my site but I like it.

(\)
\_O
_____\/)_____
~~~~~~`----\----'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~ ~~~~~(\) ~~~~~~ ~~~ ~~~~~~

Bill Seurer

John wrote:

I am changing my furnace over to gas and am considering the installation of
a hi-efficiency model. Can the condensate be pumped to the septic system?

That's what is commonly done around here.

Chris Hill

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 19:06:29 -0400, "John"
wrote:

Hi:
Hope I'm in the right forum.

I am changing my furnace over to gas and am considering the installation of
a hi-efficiency model. Can the condensate be pumped to the septic system? I
have searched the net a lot and find conflicting advice on this. It is
acidic and contains toxins.The contractor suggested it be pumped to the
sump in my basement which I would prefer no to do as the sump remains dry
as a bone throughout the winter and only is wet in the spring. The
condensate would just lay in the bottom of the sump and evaporate into the
house (I would think). I'm not sure that there would be enough volume to
raise the level enough to start the sump pump.
What condensate volumes are we talking about anyway?

I'm sure the answer is "it depends". Frankly I get very little out of
our furnace and wouldn't worry about problems with either solution.