Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Rich Greenberg

Default Garage Door Work question

In article ,
Tony wrote:
A little over a year ago I had some work done on my garage door opener. The
opener itself is a Craftsman 139.53615SR. It was made in 1990. It was the
unit that was in the home when we bought it, and we have no documentation
for the unit.

[...]

I ask this, in particular, because it now appears that our opener _may_ be
on its last legs. The remotes no longer work very well. One of them only
works within 6' of the opener unit and 1 of them works further away but
intermittently. I called this company and they said that although my motor
is covered by the warranty, that doesn't cover things related to the remote.
I'm not sure whether it would be worthwhile to have work done just related
to the remotes (which are very old) or if I should just replace this with a
new opener unit.

If the mechanical part is OK and only the radio part is ill, for a
(relatively) small charge you can buy a replacement receiver and several
remotes. Probably under $100.

Its unlikely you can buy replacement remotes only (which is probably all
you need), Look on the remotes and see if a frequency is marked. Then
ask for a same frequency remote. You also need to match the type,
9-switch, 12-switch, or other.

--
Rich Greenberg Work: Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com + 1 770 563 6656
N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA Play: richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321 6507