Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Josh

Default Installing Ceiling Fan with Red wire on electrical box.

PS: i post this today but don't know where did it go. please bear with
me if i posted it twice to one of the groups. josh green

*********
greetings.

i know this might be so simple to you but for me, any help is
really-really appreciated.

OK. this is the scenario:

my objective is to successfully install and make work the ceiling fan.

the ceiling fan that i bought doesn't have any lights and no remote
control. so, i bought a remote control.

the electrical box in the ceiling has four wire colors which a red,
white, black and copper.

my new remote control has ("IN" to electrical box in the ceiling)
green, blue, white, black. the "OUT" (going to the ceiling fan) has
only two colors which are white and black.

my new celing fan has (to be connected to the OUT of the remote
control) four colors - white, black, green and blue.

Initially, i nutwire the red wire in electrical box (since there are
no other red wire). connect the copper to the green, connect the black
(of electrical box) to black of IN-remote and white (of electrical
box) to white of IN-remote.

Then, connect the white OUT-remote to white of the ceiling fan, black
of OUT-remote to black of ceiling fan.

since there is no light, i didn't use the blue wire of ceiling fan and
the blue wire of remote control.

it is not working. i remove the remote the do the same. Still, it did
not work.

can somebody share some knowledge of what i did wrong and tell me on
how to do it right?

thanks very much.
Josh
Wade Lippman

You should have two wall switches; one on the red and one on the black.

Perhaps you are simply using the wrong switch. Either try to find the
switch on the black wire, or attach the red feed to the black fan wire.

Richard Kaiser

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:45:29 -0700, Josh wrote:
the ceiling fan that i bought doesn't have any lights and no remote
control. so, i bought a remote control.

later...

the electrical box in the ceiling has four wire colors which a red,
white, black and copper.

A good clue is how was this wired before? If you know please describe it.

I am assuming these four wires are in one or two cables. If there are two
cables then the four like wires are connected or all except the white is
connected. If this is not so then describe how it is connected.

You most likely have one of three setups (ignoring a wiring job done by
someone dangerous with tools):

1. Switched red, hot black.
The four wires a
bare copper or green insulated copper is the ground wire.
white is the common or return
black is always hot
red is switched

If there is another cable it may only connect to the white, black and
copper wires.

In this setup you could connect a lamp between the red and black
wires that is controlled by the light switch. A remote control
would connect to the black and white wires.

2. Three way switch,
This requires at least two cables. The two black wires are connected
together and the two red wires are connected together. The white wire
from each cable is intended for a light. In this setup there will be
two three-way switches that control the lamp socket (in rare cases
there may be one or more four way switches adding, um, complexity).

In this setup you do not have an always-on wire that will supply
continuous power for a remote control Connect the fan between the
two white wires and return the remote.

3. Shared common

This will almost certainly have an additional cable or cables. It
is unusual in a light fixture. In this setup there is 120 Volts
between the black and white wires, 120 volts between the red and
white wires, and 240 volts between the red and black wires.

my new remote control has ("IN" to electrical box in the ceiling) green,
blue, white, black. the "OUT" (going to the ceiling fan) has only two
colors which are white and black.

Your fan should have a bare copper or a green wire that will connect
to the green wire. If the box or just the cross strap is metal then
that also connects to the green wire.

my new celing fan has (to be connected to the OUT of the remote control)
four colors - white, black, green and blue.

Your fan will have four wires to connect. Green to Green and the box is
easy. White to white is even easier. Since you only have fan then you
only have one additional wire to connect. The remote control has a
circuit for a light that you will not use, the fan may also have a
wire for light that you will not use. 'Best to connect the wires
for the light to make adding one easier later.

Initially, i nutwire the red wire in electrical box (since there are no
other red wire). connect the copper to the green, connect the black (of
electrical box) to black of IN-remote and white (of electrical box) to
white of IN-remote.

One red wire is consistant with being switched.

Then, connect the white OUT-remote to white of the ceiling fan, black of
OUT-remote to black of ceiling fan.

since there is no light, i didn't use the blue wire of ceiling fan and
the blue wire of remote control.

Beyond my guess above, you will have to read the instructions on how
to connect the fan to the control.

it is not working. i remove the remote the do the same. Still, it did
not work.

can somebody share some knowledge of what i did wrong and tell me on how
to do it right?

Could the switch be off? Is the breaker off?

If the red is switched then connect it directly to the fan and forget
the remote. If the black is always hot then use it as the power for the
remote.

Do you have a volt meter or tester light? That will tell you where there
is power. Just be slow and careful about where you reach and touch when
the power is on. Make sure wire ends do not touch the box or each other.

thanks very much.
Josh

We need a little more information to solve it online, but I may have
given you enough clues to figure it out.

Richard Kaiser
Homeowner and Electronics Engineer
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Josh wrote:
PS: i post this today but don't know where did it go. please bear with
me if i posted it twice to one of the groups. josh green

[[.. munch ..]]

it is not working. i remove the remote the do the same. Still, it did
not work.

can somebody share some knowledge of what i did wrong and tell me on
how to do it right?

hire an electrician to do it for you.

You *obviously* don't understand what you're working with,
and, therefore, you should =not= be doing it yourself.
Josh

to Wade, Richard, Robert

thank you very much for the time you spent in replying to my query.

Actually, it is now working with the same set-up that I wrote over the
message board. The only difference was by attaching the blades (LOL).
(*sigh) I assumed by connecting just the wires you can test if the
motor will work. Well... it did not work. I decided to attach the
blades and lo and behold it is working!

But that doesn't mean I did not learn on what you guys has just
posted. It confirmed on what I knew and added more based on your
suggestions and insights. Again, thank you very much.

josh green

Art Begun

Usually the remote controls are only used when people don't have the
proper wiring for a fan plus fan light. In your case you do. So the
in (connection to electrical box) would have 2 wires plus ground and
the out (to fan) 3 wires plus ground. You say the reverse which is
strange.

Post'n

(Josh) wrote in message . com...
[...]

This is a tuff one...is there juice at the fan
Get juice to the wirez and it will work.

I don't read news groups so apply direct.
Josh

yes CMF. I took out the screws that hold the black plastic thing.
Before, I just took them out and did not do anything. That was my
assumption and it was wrong.

you're absolutely correct Art. The bad thing is... I'm lazy. So i
decided to spice up the connection by adding more complication (the
remote) hehehehe...

Thanks HR. I really appreciate your good thoughts and for defending my
ignorance.

UPDATE: right now, I have to take it out (the ceiling fan) since it's
NOT giving me enough air flow though it's already in High mode. I have
to change the ceiling fan itself and get the bigger one. Thanks for
all the posts that you provided, I know, I can do this correct for the
second time around.

josh green
Robert L. Bass

UPDATE: right now, I have to take it out (the ceiling fan) since it's
NOT giving me enough air flow though it's already in High mode. I have
to change the ceiling fan itself and get the bigger one. Thanks for
all the posts that you provided, I know, I can do this correct for the
second time around.

If it's a three-blade fan you can switch to a four-blade model of the same
radius. This will keep the fan scaled to the room for appearance while
increasing the airflow as much as adding a few inches to the blade length.

If you want remote control, consider ordering a fan that comes with it.
Home automation is indeed an entertaining hobby, but it's not necessary to
reinvent the wheel to enjoy it. :^)

FTR, I've been very happy with fans purchased from Home Depot.

Regards,
Robert

Bass Home Electronics, Inc
2291 Pine View Circle