DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Automatic Shower Timer (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/60281-automatic-shower-timer.html)

Chris W. July 27th 03 12:01 AM

Automatic Shower Timer

I've got a problem. During the schoolyear, my sister always gets to
the bathroom first, and she take showers that are often 20 minutes
long! By that time I have to be out the door to wait for my car pool.
I wanted to find a timer that would automatically turn off the hot
water after 5 minutes, but all I have been able to find are waterproof
stop watches, which my sister will pay NO attention to. I also want
someway that she would be able to use only 5 minutes in the shower,
and not use MY 5 minutes (maybe a keypad with PINs?). If anybody has
any ideas, or any websites with related products, PLEASE post a
message. I'm desperate.

Chris

BruceR July 27th 03 12:55 AM

Automatic Shower Timer

If Mom or Dad won't play referee then you could hire a plumber to
install an electrically operated valve for you. If you use a Water Cop
you would could control it with a wireless remote. Save your allowance
though. It'll cost you close to $300 plus installation.

m...

Countdown to 55 July 27th 03 12:59 AM

Automatic Shower Timer

I've got a problem. During the schoolyear, my sister always gets to
the bathroom first, and she take showers that are often 20 minutes
long! By that time I have to be out the door to wait for my car pool.
I wanted to find a timer that would automatically turn off the hot
water after 5 minutes, but all I have been able to find are waterproof
stop watches, which my sister will pay NO attention to. I also want
someway that she would be able to use only 5 minutes in the shower,
and not use MY 5 minutes (maybe a keypad with PINs?). If anybody has
any ideas, or any websites with related products, PLEASE post a
message. I'm desperate.

Chris

This reminds me of the camping trips where the facility would have hot showers
but you had to pay -- put a quarter in the slot, get 5 minutes of hot water.
If a person wanted a cold shower, that was free.

Maybe you could get hold of a few campgrounds and see where they get their
timers from.

Or, like someone said, get up a bit earlier than your sister.

Or you could try flushing the toilet continuously once her time is up. In my
old house, the toilet is a very good timer.

But how are you managing to take a shower in 5 minutes? I wouldn't even get my
hair washed in 5 minutes, never mind the rest of me. If all you need is 5
minutes, why not just wait until you get to p.e. class and let that shower
count as your shower for the day? Do you ever notice your fellow carpoolers
giving you a little more space in the car than you really think you need?

Cindy

Robert L. Bass July 28th 03 06:42 PM

Automatic Shower Timer

Here's another solution that's also cheap and easy. Each morning wait until
she starts her shower. When you hear the water running wait about two
minutes for the hot water to reach the shower and the sibling to get in.
Then shut off the hot water at the valve above the water heater. You'll
know it worked because you will hear the scream when the ice cold water
hits. Wait until she leaves, turn the hot water back on and go take your
shower. :^)

I know how you feel, because a young relative of mine used to take
really long showers when he was a teenager. No matter how large the
water heater, he used all the hot water and left the rest of the
family with arctic-cold showers. Incidentally, my relative is in the
Army now, and that's cured him of long showers.

The simplest solution is not automated at all: get up early enough to
take a shower before your sister does. For this to work, you have to
be sure you leave her enough time to take her usual leisurely shower
and not be rushed. If you really can complete your shower in 5
minutes, she should have no complaints about following you or having
enough hot water. No, it isn't fair, but it's the cheapest, simplest,
and most collegial solution to the problem.

C. Brunner

Mick July 28th 03 11:58 PM

Automatic Shower Timer

and if she is like most females that I know of that age, you can tell
here anything, such as the water company installed a timer on the hot
water system to limit shows to five minutes and she will probably
believe it. Hopefully after a while she will be out before the five
minutes so as not to get the cold blast.