Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

ameijers

Default painting exterior brick? someone please talk me out of it!

"selfgen" wrote in message
m...
we recently purchased a home built in the mid-80s. My wife does not
particularly care for the light tan exterior brick used on the house.
She wants to paint the entire brick exterior of the house to a much
darker color. Obviously, my priorities are elsewhere- there's plenty
more impotant(this was a typo but i'll leave it alone because it looks
freudian ) projects needed on this fixer-upper. Is painting brick
exterior a sound idea? Will we find ourselves repainting every 3-5
years. How difficult is such a job? It appears the paint we choose
should have to match the roof shingles, huh? they are a reddish color
that goes well with the current brick color, but painting the brick
could change that i would think? Anyone else have an overzealous wife
who wants to change every single thing about a newly acquired home?
The three previous owners were okay with the brick..BUT NOOOOOO......!
If anyone can tell me whether or not we should attempt this, please
reply. thanks

Paint it once, you gotta keep painting it forever, ain't no going back. The
only way I would ever consider painting brick if it was badly deteriorated,
and I was trying to get a few more years out of it. (ie, the cheap soft
brick they used to use on the alley side of commercial buildings.)
SWMBO or not, it is a BAD idea. Tell her it will reduce the resale price of
the house when she decides it is time to move.

aem sends....

Mike72903

While it is true that it might put off some potential buyers it might appeal to
others. We painted our brick 10 years ago and love the look. I always liked
other houses that had the brick work painted. Painting brick is more permanent
that painting wood siding. There won't be any peeling or blistering and the
only reason to repaint would be to change the color. Or if the paint has been
on so long it has worn through. Our previous has house had it's brick painted
many years before we moved in. We lived there 8 years and never repainted nor
the owner after us. Finally a new owner did but that was to change the color.
If you do paint it, you will want to get a sprayer from a rental place because
doing it by hand is a real bitch. Hard to get paint down on the masonary
between bricks with a brush or roller. Good Luck with your decision.
JD

I'm not sure if it's possible, but since you're looking for a darker color,
I would into the staining rather than painting.

selfgen wrote in message
[...]

tommy in youngsville, LA

On 23 Jul 2003 20:22:52 -0700, someone wrote:

we recently purchased a home built in the mid-80s. My wife does not
particularly care for the light tan exterior brick used on the house.

Then she should not have agreed to buy the house???

Oh well, too late now.

But how come it was not an issue before the closing, but it is now??

-v.