Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Air conditioning repair - Dual capacitor

I am a new home-owner. My AC started blowing hot air 2-3 days back. I
earlier thought it was a thermostats issue (which it still could be),
later I saw that in the unit outside the fan is not running. I called
in someone from Service Magic. He told me the high voltage dual
capacitor and connector need to be replaced. He quoted me 280$ as
parts and 400 total labour. I did some looking up on the internet and
it says that capacitors are not too expensive.

The contractor also told me that he will leave the part in there and
if I am comfortable I could pay him. I notice two things

1. Even after the change the hot air and cold air alternate. I don't
have cold air coming in constantly.
2. Is the quote a reasonable quote?

My AC unit is the following
http://www.furnacecompare.com/air-co...AKA-037JA.html

It has a capacity of 35,400 BTU

Looking for some advice and tips on how to address this.

Thanks
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , Ritu wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you still have a problem. From what you said it sounds way too
high a price. Maybe their service is not magic.
Of course I do not know the unit specificly.

greg