Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Can't reliably turn on array of 8 CF bulbs

The light fixture above my bathroom mirror holds eight light bulbs in
an array. When the house was built nine years ago, I used normal
incandescent bulbs.

I replaced these bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs, and now I have
an odd problem. When I flick the light switch, sometimes the bulbs
will all flash for a instant and then all turn off. If I turn the
light switch off and back on again, the bulbs might stay on, or they
might flash again. Typically, I need to turn the light switch off-and-
on again about 3-4 times before the bulbs will stay on.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening, and what I can do
about it? It's driving me crazy.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
Timur Tabi wrote:

The light fixture above my bathroom mirror holds eight light bulbs in
an array. When the house was built nine years ago, I used normal
incandescent bulbs.

I replaced these bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs, and now I have
an odd problem. When I flick the light switch, sometimes the bulbs
will all flash for a instant and then all turn off. If I turn the
light switch off and back on again, the bulbs might stay on, or they
might flash again. Typically, I need to turn the light switch off-and-
on again about 3-4 times before the bulbs will stay on.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening, and what I can do
about it? It's driving me crazy.

FWIW CFLs are not recommended for use in humid environments
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jul 21, 1:40*am, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:

FWIW CFLs are not recommended for use in humid environments

Well, the CF bulb in the shower has worked reliably for years. It's
just the ones over the mirror that don't. They're a different brand
and style, but I was hoping someone here would be able to explain the
odd behavior I'm seeing.

Something similar also happens in my garage, except instead of
flashing, the light just doesn't turn on.

I never had any problems with my incandescent bulbs.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote:

FWIW CFLs are not recommended for use in humid environments

Well, the CF bulb in the shower has worked reliably for years. It's
just the ones over the mirror that don't. They're a different brand
and style, but I was hoping someone here would be able to explain the
odd behavior I'm seeing.

Something similar also happens in my garage, except instead of
flashing, the light just doesn't turn on.

I never had any problems with my incandescent bulbs.

You might check the sockets for corrosion, check the voltage in the
sockets, and try swapping out half the bulbs with incandescents.

All fluorescents pull a lot of current briefly when turning on. If your
wiring has bad connections, small wire, or any other problem causing
resistace, the eight hitting at once could be causing a significant
voltage drop, which could interfere with the starting circuit.

Checking the voltage with one bulb out when the switch is flipped
might let you see the drop, if you're using an analog meter.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

If you want to reduce the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere,
go plant trees.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jul 23, 10:52*am, (GregS) wrote:
In article , (Gary Heston) wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Also try 7 CFL and one incandecent. Switch may be bad.

greg

What GregS said. The switching transient from 7 CFLs is causing them
to get confused. One incandescent in the string will "stabilize" the
voltage/current enough to allow them to light reliably.

(And it goes without saying that a dimmer should not be used on this
circuit, right?)
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , DanH wrote:
On Jul 23, 10:52=A0am, (GregS) wrote:
In article , ghes...@hiw=

aay.net (Gary Heston) wrote:
In article =

s.com,
Timur Tabi wrote:
On Jul 21, 1:40=A0am, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:

FWIW CFLs are not recommended for use in humid environments

Well, the CF bulb in the shower has worked reliably for years. =A0It's
just the ones over the mirror that don't. =A0They're a different brand
[...]

I tried 3 FEITS on kitchen dimmer. Had big problem, and I think
the biggest problem is FEIT brand. I have never before tried more than
one dimmable CFL on a dimmer. They must be dimmable of course.

Stay away from FEIT's.

greg
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jul 23, 10:52*am, (GregS) wrote:

Also try 7 CFL and one incandecent. Switch may be bad.

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, it didn't help.

I'll try disassembling the light fixture and cleaning/upgrading the
wires.

Any hints/tips for removing a 5x5 ball grid array chip? N_Cook Electronics Repair 6 April 20th 10 03:18 AM
Messages and replies not reliably posting when using Google Groups Robatoy Woodworking 8 March 13th 07 11:51 PM
diode array ? LS Electronics Repair 2 March 21st 06 07:11 AM
wierdness in Excalibur ad...stainless steel not reliably straight? Chris Friesen Woodworking 6 October 26th 05 11:28 PM
Optical Linear Array Chip Identification - Old Scanner Jurie Vorster Electronics 2 May 15th 04 01:28 AM