Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default stupid fan motors

you know the kind, no rotor winding, bronze bearings, on every kind of
fan from desk fan to window fan to A/C fan to dehumidifier fan to vent
fan, where the bearings always gum up after two years and you can't
get enough oil into them to get them back to life, so first they have
trouble starting up, then they get slower and finally burn out the
windings.

Anyway, isn't there somewhere a person can get a decent replacement
with decent bearings? even (wow!) ball bearings? or some design with
an oiling port?

or failing that, a source for dirt cheap replacements where the cost
is as low as the quality so I don't have to keep ordering replacement
motors for the dehumidifier every two years for $30?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Refrigerator fans are designed to run continuously. Remember a story where
the Air Force was having trouble with similar mil-spec fans used in missile
silos. They switched to a commercial refrigerator fan which lasted much
longer and cost much less.

"z" wrote in message
oups.com...
you know the kind, no rotor winding, bronze bearings, on every kind of
fan from desk fan to window fan to A/C fan to dehumidifier fan to vent
fan, where the bearings always gum up after two years and you can't
get enough oil into them to get them back to life, so first they have
trouble starting up, then they get slower and finally burn out the
windings.

Anyway, isn't there somewhere a person can get a decent replacement
with decent bearings? even (wow!) ball bearings? or some design with
an oiling port?

or failing that, a source for dirt cheap replacements where the cost
is as low as the quality so I don't have to keep ordering replacement
motors for the dehumidifier every two years for $30?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Anyway, isn't there somewhere a person can get a decent replacement
with decent bearings?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...tml?CatPage=73

Fan motors with ball bearings are roughly twice the price of sleeve types.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On May 8, 4:32?pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Anyway, isn't there somewhere a person can get a decent replacement
with decent bearings?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...tml?CatPage=73

Fan motors with ball bearings are roughly twice the price of sleeve types.

ball bearing motors are noiser too

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On May 8, 4:32 pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Anyway, isn't there somewhere a person can get a decent replacement
with decent bearings?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...tml?CatPage=73

Fan motors with ball bearings are roughly twice the price of sleeve types.

Ooh, that's a cool source.

Meanwhile, here's the story, updated in joke format:
My Sears dehumidifier, about 2 yr old, big expensivest low-temp model,
the compressor overheats and stops. refrigeration section is under 5
year warranty, so I take it in. it comes back with a $30 bill for
looking at it and the diagnosis that there's nothing wrong with the
compressor. Which could well be true, because when I got it back, now
the fan motor mentioned previously is open circuited. I guess maybe it
was intermittent before, so this is sort of an improvement, I guess.

I cobble a window box fan to the thing, and now the compressor at
least runs fine, although I'm not seeing any dehumidifying, probably
because it's not moving enough air. So..... I bite the bullet and call
the sears part line and order a new fan motor, $30, on my credit card.
And the next day, the very next day, 18 hours later, a letter arrives
from sears saying 'Now that your dehumidifier has been repaired by our
service department, why not buy a 2 years extended warranty covering
all parts and labor, for $30?"

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On May 8, 3:14 pm, "Jeff" wrote:
Refrigerator fans are designed to run continuously. Remember a story where
the Air Force was having trouble with similar mil-spec fans used in missile
silos. They switched to a commercial refrigerator fan which lasted much
longer and cost much less.

"z" wrote in message

oups.com...

you know the kind, no rotor winding, bronze bearings, on every kind of
fan from desk fan to window fan to A/C fan to dehumidifier fan to vent
fan, where the bearings always gum up after two years and you can't
get enough oil into them to get them back to life, so first they have
trouble starting up, then they get slower and finally burn out the
windings.

Anyway, isn't there somewhere a person can get a decent replacement
with decent bearings? even (wow!) ball bearings? or some design with
an oiling port?

or failing that, a source for dirt cheap replacements where the cost
is as low as the quality so I don't have to keep ordering replacement
motors for the dehumidifier every two years for $30?- Hide quoted text -

Now that I look at it again, the fact jumps out at me that the fan is
mounted behind the condensor coil, so that the hot air washes over it.
That can't be good for the stupid sleeve bearings.

stupid fan motors z Home Repair 6 May 9th 07 06:24 PM
Those Noisy Fan Motors [email protected] Home Repair 33 February 1st 07 11:12 PM
Ceiling fan motors? FriscoSoxFan Woodworking 2 March 4th 05 01:37 PM
Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! __________==___ ykemzyb Unisaw A100 Woodworking 9 November 9th 04 12:21 AM
Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! _____________---_ ejowp Jgklr2732 Woodturning 2 November 7th 04 03:03 PM