Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Generator 220v Twistlock - (2) 110v outlets

Old January 19th 07, 01:48 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Generator 220v Twistlock - (2) 110v outlets

I am planning to install a power inlet box on the side of my house to
accept an L14-30 connection from my generator's twist lock receptacle
L14-30R. Here is the particular outdoor enclosure that I plan to use:
http://www.gen-tran.com/eshop/10Expa...ductCode=14302

From there I would run a small piece of conduit from that input box to

a new electrical box on the opposite side of the wall in the house. I
plan to wire a separate duplex outlet to each leg of the 220 with all
the neutrals connected to the common neutral. This set of outlets
would obviously be in no way connected to the rest of the house's
wiring system and I would use a different color of outlets. Would this
be up to code?

The whole concept here is to have a convenient way of bringing the
generator power in to the house without having to leave any doors or
windows open to allow an extension cord in. These 4 outlets would be
in a convenient location in the house where I can plug in my critical
electrical items.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Old January 19th 07, 04:19 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

satellite_chris wrote:
I am planning to install a power inlet box on the side of my house to
accept an L14-30 connection from my generator's twist lock receptacle
L14-30R. Here is the particular outdoor enclosure that I plan to use:
http://www.gen-tran.com/eshop/10Expa...ductCode=14302

From there I would run a small piece of conduit from that input box to

a new electrical box on the opposite side of the wall in the house. I
plan to wire a separate duplex outlet to each leg of the 220 with all
the neutrals connected to the common neutral. This set of outlets
would obviously be in no way connected to the rest of the house's
wiring system and I would use a different color of outlets. Would this
be up to code?

The whole concept here is to have a convenient way of bringing the
generator power in to the house without having to leave any doors or
windows open to allow an extension cord in. These 4 outlets would be
in a convenient location in the house where I can plug in my critical
electrical items.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

I'm not an electrician and don't know whether you idea would be up to
code or not. One question I would have is what you are going to do with
the ground wire.

What you are planning sounds like a heck of a lot of work and it won't
be all that useful when you get done. I wonder if there's some way that
you could (legally) connect your generator directly to your service
entrance box via some sort of inexpensive, manual transfer switch?

Old January 19th 07, 02:41 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote:

satellite_chris wrote:

I am planning to install a power inlet box on the side of my house to
accept an L14-30 connection from my generator's twist lock receptacle
L14-30R. Here is the particular outdoor enclosure that I plan to use:
http://www.gen-tran.com/eshop/10Expa...ductCode=14302

From there I would run a small piece of conduit from that input box to

[...]

The gennie absolutely must be grounded (to earth) and the
Neutral bonded to Ground. Rather than sticking a pipe in the
gound, consider running an equipment ground to the grounding
point used by the house service entrance.

But your idea to run a conduit into the house for dedicated
receptacles sounds good, since it won't in any way be connected
to the incoming power line.

"inexpensive, manual transfer switch?" They are neither
inexpensive nor simple. Done properly means a lot of
tricky work.

For more opinions on this setup, post over to: alt.home.repair

Jim
Old January 19th 07, 05:06 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

satellite_chris wrote:
I am planning to install a power inlet box on the side of my house to
accept an L14-30 connection from my generator's twist lock receptacle
L14-30R. Here is the particular outdoor enclosure that I plan to use:
http://www.gen-tran.com/eshop/10Expa...ductCode=14302

From there I would run a small piece of conduit from that input box to

a new electrical box on the opposite side of the wall in the house. I
plan to wire a separate duplex outlet to each leg of the 220 with all
the neutrals connected to the common neutral. This set of outlets
would obviously be in no way connected to the rest of the house's
wiring system and I would use a different color of outlets. Would this
be up to code?

The whole concept here is to have a convenient way of bringing the
generator power in to the house without having to leave any doors or
windows open to allow an extension cord in. These 4 outlets would be
in a convenient location in the house where I can plug in my critical
electrical items.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

There's a picture of a typical transfer switch set up at:
http://www.justgenerators.co.uk/pages/powertransfer.htm

Unfortunately, it's for the UK, but it give you the idea.

Harbor Freight has a 200-Amp manual transfer switch for $349.99 at:

Keep in mind, though, that I'm not saying that this one, for example,
would be suitable for your application.

The best places to post your question would probably be alt.home.repair
and alt.energy.homepower.

Another way to get some information would be to do a search on Google
groups on transfer switches:
http://tinyurl.com/24f3vp

Old January 20th 07, 12:09 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

On 18 Jan 2007 17:48:05 -0800, satellite_chris wrote:
I am planning to install a power inlet box on the side of my house to
accept an L14-30 connection from my generator's twist lock receptacle

From there I would run a small piece of conduit from that input box to
a new electrical box on the opposite side of the wall in the house. I
plan to wire a separate duplex outlet to each leg of the 220 with all
the neutrals connected to the common neutral. This set of outlets
would obviously be in no way connected to the rest of the house's
wiring system and I would use a different color of outlets. Would this

Since the L14-30 is a 30amp system, if you use 20amp outlets on each
leg, you may draw 50% more power thru an outlet than it is designed to
handle. That isn't cool. You really need to bring the 30amp@220v into
a breaker panel and run multiple 15a or 20a circuits from that panel.

be up to code?

Probably not.

sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Old January 20th 07, 12:42 AM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Good idea on posting to alt.home.repair also.

So that outdoor inlet that I linked to is $53. I saw some L14-30
flanged inlets on ebay for $12 plus $4 s&h
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=110079121868). The
trouble I am having is finding a outdoor 3R or better rated box that
would accept a flanged inlet. Does anyone have any suggestions here.
If I can find such a box for even $20, it would still be a savings over
the $53 Gen-Tran.

Also, are my wiring assumptions correct? Common neutral and each
positive leg to each duplex outlet?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Speedy Jim wrote:
wrote:

satellite_chris wrote:

I am planning to install a power inlet box on the side of my house to
accept an L14-30 connection from my generator's twist lock receptacle
L14-30R. Here is the particular outdoor enclosure that I plan to use:
http://www.gen-tran.com/eshop/10Expa...ductCode=14302

From there I would run a small piece of conduit from that input box to

Old January 20th 07, 01:42 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , sylvan butler wrote:

Since the L14-30 is a 30amp system, if you use 20amp outlets on each
leg, you may draw 50% more power thru an outlet than it is designed to
handle.

How do you figure that?

That isn't cool. You really need to bring the 30amp@220v into
a breaker panel and run multiple 15a or 20a circuits from that panel.

be up to code?

Probably not.

Why not? What article is it in violation of?

--
Regards,

Old January 20th 07, 08:18 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 13:42:27 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
In article , sylvan butler wrote:

Since the L14-30 is a 30amp system, if you use 20amp outlets on each
leg, you may draw 50% more power thru an outlet than it is designed to
handle.

How do you figure that?

What is the amperage rating on an L14-30? 30 amps.

What is the amerage rating on a standard "duplex" outlet? 15 or 20 amps.

be up to code?

Probably not.

Why not? What article is it in violation of?

I'm not going to waste my time trying to find the reference. But if you
think you can safely wire a 20amp outlet into a 30amp circuit, please go
right ahead.

Old January 20th 07, 09:52 PM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:
wrote:

satellite_chris wrote:

I am planning to install a power inlet box on the side of my house to
accept an L14-30 connection from my generator's twist lock receptacle
L14-30R. Here is the particular outdoor enclosure that I plan to use:
http://www.gen-tran.com/eshop/10Expa...ductCode=14302

From there I would run a small piece of conduit from that input box to
[...]

You may be behind the curve here. There is an interlock kit available
from at least two major service equipment manufacturers that interlocks
the main breaker with a two pole breaker that controls power from the
generator. The kit cost around fifty dollars.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Old January 20th 07, 10:36 PM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Tom Horne, Electrician wrote:

SNIP

Jim
You may be behind the curve here. There is an interlock kit available
from at least two major service equipment manufacturers that interlocks
the main breaker with a two pole breaker that controls power from the
generator. The kit cost around fifty dollars.

No, I'm well aware of them. The "kit" may be $50,
which gets you some mechanical parts, but that doesn't
address the complexity of the wiring that needs to be done
and it presumes that OP has the "correct" Main breaker in place.

They are a neat idea though and a good solution to the
whole house transfer switch problem if one were building
from scratch.

Jim