Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Q: In-sink-erator recommendation?

I am looking for a recommendation for an in-sink-erator. The one I
currently have is a Kenmore/Sears Model 175.60542:
3/4 HP, 8.1 Amp. This particular model may have been discontinued, and
the closest math is probably
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
Can someone recommend a reliable brand, model? Quality/reliability is
of utmost importance to me.
What features or specs should I look for? HP, Amp ratings? Longest
warranty?

Is it an easy DIY job to replace an erator? Any fancy tools I will need
besides an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver?

BTW, the problem with my existing erator is that it starts leaking when
it's turned on - it leaks from somewhere around the top part of the
assembly near where the erator connects to the bottom of the sink. Once
it's turned off, the leak will stop after a couple of minutes, even
if the water tap is on.
I know that it's a hard Q to answer w/o being able to examine the
leak, but is that kind of leak even fixable (a washer to replace,
screws to tighten), or should I just buy a new erator? I don't know
how old this erator is, as we moved in to the house 5 mths ago. So I
don't know whether this model or Kenmore erators in general are junk,
or maybe mine is just dying of old age.

TIA for your advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote:
[...]

I've been using In-sink-erator disposals for YEARS........at my folks
house, my own houses & rental properties. I started with the model
333 but now I've switched to the 555. I had one fail rather soon but
it was under warranty & they even offered to come out & replace for
free. I had already bought a new one & done the R&R myself. I just
took it back for a refund.

The thing I like best about the In-sink-erator's is that they all use
the same three - ramp locking ring. Once you do the first install of
an In-sink-erator, the subsequent replacements are a breeze, since the
new disposal just twist locks onto the ring.

When I do an In-sink-erator initial install, I do a complete "out of
sink" assembly so I can see the postion of the disposal output port.

I note the desired location of the output port relavtive to the
existing plumbing & where the ramps should be. I install the sink
flange with plumber's putty so that the ramps are clocked correctly.
Be careful not to rotate the since flange while the plumbers putty is
still soft, you can tear it internally & create a leak path.

IMO there are three most likely places that can leak; the sink flange
to sink interface, the disposal to the mounting ring / sink flange,
the disposal output port to drain line. Also you could have an
internal disposal leak

SInce the leak stops after the disposal is turned off but doesn't leak
with the tap is still on......... I would guess the the vibration from
the disposal works a gasketed joint that's not quite secure.

Depending on your inclination;

you could just bite the bullet & go with an In-sink-erator install

OR

if you want to try & save some bucks (& potentially waste some time)
I would remove the existing install, examine the gasketed surfaces for
signs of leakage, clean up the gasket surfaces & reassemble.......this
may fix the problem

If you have the In-sink-erator on hand & discover problems with the
Kenmore install that cannot be fixed, you can install the
In-sink-erator. If the R&R works just return the In-sink-erator

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

BobK207 wrote:
I've been using In-sink-erator disposals for YEARS........at my folks
house, my own houses & rental properties. I started with the model
333 but now I've switched to the 555.

Me too. The 555 (now Evolution Essential™) is the best value of their
line.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

OP:

I honestly recommend a garbage can. This of course does not go over
well with the wife.
OTOH, if people won't keep the insoluble stuff out of the pipes then I
suppose it's better than clogging 'em with whole carrots.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

I've just realized that "In-Sink-Erator" is itself a brand. My
question was about kitchen sink disposals recommendations in general,
not this particular brand.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 21:40:28 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

BobK207 wrote:
I've been using In-sink-erator disposals for YEARS........at my folks
house, my own houses & rental properties. I started with the model
333 but now I've switched to the 555.

Me too. The 555 (now Evolution Essential™) is the best value of their
line.

Yep, I have been using a 555 SS for about 10 years now. The old
National I had would jam if you looked at it wrong. The 555 just keeps
grinding away.
Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
krw krw is offline

In article . com,
says...
I am looking for a recommendation for an in-sink-erator. The one I
currently have is a Kenmore/Sears Model 175.60542:
3/4 HP, 8.1 Amp. This particular model may have been discontinued, and
the closest math is probably
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
Can someone recommend a reliable brand, model? Quality/reliability is
of utmost importance to me.
What features or specs should I look for? HP, Amp ratings? Longest
warranty?

Auto reverse. BTW, Kenmores are ISE (In Sink Erator). The
difference is the lower end Kenmores will have auto-reversing and
the low end of the ISE not. The Kenmores even use the ISE lock
ring. Buy another.

Is it an easy DIY job to replace an erator? Any fancy tools I will need
besides an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver?

Bog screwdriver to use as a lever to loosen the lock ring. Measure
the outlet distance from the sink and find one that matches.
Replacing them is a piece of cake (and I *hate* plumbing).

BTW, the problem with my existing erator is that it starts leaking when
it's turned on - it leaks from somewhere around the top part of the
assembly near where the erator connects to the bottom of the sink. Once
it's turned off, the leak will stop after a couple of minutes, even
if the water tap is on.

Make sure it's not the basket seal to the sink leaking. If it is,
fix that and forget replacing the disposal. Does the sink leak if
it's stoppered and full of water?

I know that it's a hard Q to answer w/o being able to examine the
leak, but is that kind of leak even fixable (a washer to replace,
screws to tighten), or should I just buy a new erator? I don't know
how old this erator is, as we moved in to the house 5 mths ago. So I
don't know whether this model or Kenmore erators in general are junk,
or maybe mine is just dying of old age.

Again, Kenmores *ARE* ISEs. There is no better and IMO Kenmores
are better and cheaper than those with the ISE logo.

TIA for your advice.

--
Keith

Urgent! undermount stainless sink advice need!!! John UK diy 9 April 18th 06 10:14 PM
Urgent! undermount stainless sink advice need!!! John Home Ownership 9 April 18th 06 10:14 PM
Extra Long Sink Clips [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 13th 06 02:58 PM
Moenstone Sink Mike Home Repair 9 March 6th 05 06:01 AM
Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 04:16 AM