Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Fuse Electrical Panel Cover

Hello,
I wonder anybody knows where to find cover for an old fuse 100 amp
electrical panel box? It can be 40 something old, things work find but
the cover is missing.

Obviously, the best is to know the brand and model. But I was unable to
tell as there was no label or mark noticeable anywhere. The dimension
is 9 3/4 x 19 1/2 (inches). Here's a pictu
http://www.flickr.com/photos/icezee/191827167/

Please let me know if you recognized the brand/model, or ever better,
know where I can buy a cover for it.

Much appreciated!

John

Posted to misc.consumers.house

That fuse box is dangerous in two ways. One because there is no cover. And
two because the wrong fuses could have been installed and they would not
protect the wiring like they should.

I would get an electrician to replace it with a new circuit breaker panel.
The electrician will install the proper amperage breakers for the wiring.

If it is the case that someone in the past installed higher amperage fuses
than should have been installed, then when the electrician installs the new
breaker panel and the proper amperage breakers (lower amperage), you may
find that some of your outlets suddenly trip the breaker (as they should).
In this case you would want to install a few new circuits and outlets. And
for this reason it would be good to have the electrician install a breaker
panel with *plenty* of extra breaker slots.

Also it may not cost much more to upgrade to a 200 amp panel. Might be a
good idea for the future.

I have a 40 slot 200 amp panel myself. So I have plenty of extra slots for
future needs and plenty of amperage for any toys I may get in the future.

wrote in message
Hello,
I wonder anybody knows where to find cover for an old fuse 100 amp
electrical panel box? It can be 40 something old, things work find but
the cover is missing.

Obviously, the best is to know the brand and model. But I was unable to
tell as there was no label or mark noticeable anywhere. The dimension
is 9 3/4 x 19 1/2 (inches). Here's a pictu
http://www.flickr.com/photos/icezee/191827167/

Please let me know if you recognized the brand/model, or ever better,
know where I can buy a cover for it.

Much appreciated!

John

Posted to misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:10:17 -0700, someone wrote:

Also it may not cost much more to upgrade to a 200 amp panel. Might be a
good idea for the future.

I have a 40 slot 200 amp panel myself. So I have plenty of extra slots for
future needs and plenty of amperage for any toys I may get in the future.

There is more to that then just changing the box. He probably has a
100 amp service coming into the house to go with that box. He'd need
to change out the service drop also.

BTW dude, my 200A panel is full to the point where we have several
'half breakers' installed.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Hi John, on the cartridge pull outs do you see the letter G with a
lightning bolt in a circle?
If so this was made by General Switch, Brooklyn, NY.