Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Speaking of sinks

I always wanted a cast iron sink in my kitchen, like the old heavy
black skillet ones (we cook in )not only would it be heavy and strong
for heavy pot and pan, you could oil it once a year to bring back the
glow I also wonder maybe this is impossible, because of the weight, the
kitchen counter will collapse.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Spacegirl Lost" wrote in message
oups.com...
I always wanted a cast iron sink in my kitchen, like the old heavy
black skillet ones (we cook in )not only would it be heavy and strong
for heavy pot and pan, you could oil it once a year to bring back the
glow I also wonder maybe this is impossible, because of the weight, the
kitchen counter will collapse.

Possible, but not practical. Sinks take days to dry out completely, so you
would always have rust blooming at the edges, at the faucet holes, around
the drain fittings. Traditional sinks (ie, 'farmer'' style) ARE cast iron,
just with a porcelain coating on the wet side. Basically a small bathtub.
Weight is not an issue- just frame the cabinet properly, and use proper
substrate for the counter top. They shifted to stainless steel for kitchen
sinks for cost and durability- porcelain stains, and if a dropped pot hits
too hard on a corner, chips. Not sure what the current trendy style is, but
for several years recently, high-end houses and kitchen redo's did feature
oversize cast iron porcelain-coated sinks, usually with one extra-deep
oversize side for stock pots, and a smaller shallow side for food prep. The
people with too much money were getting granite or soapstone sinks, which
old farmers and people who works in laboratories must have snickered at-
those are a PITA to keep clean.

aem sends...