Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default protective coating for roof deck?

I have a good sized deck that also serves as aroof . The deck is
coated with some kind of polyurethane.I have a can the previous owner
left (can says 'Universal Protective Coathing: Plasto-Seal'. The
previous owner told me that you you roll it on and then cover with sand
to give it some grip.

The coating is not very durable - it was applied right when I bought
the house and 1.5 years later it's cracked and leaking. So I have a
few questions...

1. Are there specific products that are more durable than others?
(It's hot and sunny in the summer and lots of snow in the winter where
I live.)

2. Does the existing layer have to be removed somehow before I apply a
new layer? The existing layer has some minor, but visible buckling and
cracks.

3. Any tips for exactly how to apply the stuff? I'm guessing it's a
sticky mess.

4. Other suggestions? I'm not crazy about having to do this once a
year. And thought the coating is a light tan color, it gets too hot to
walk on when it's sunny.

Thanks in advice for your help!

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"1.5 years later it's cracked and leaking."

As in: "Leaking into the house"?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"fork" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Can't see your roof from here, but I suspect you need help from a
professional roofer to diagnose the problem. There are deck-rated membrane
roofs, but they depend on a proper substrate and proper roof pitch to work
and last. Don't be real surprised if the roofing company recommends a
tearoff and replacement. When a roof need repainting that often to be
leakproof, it is likely on its last legs. It almost sound like just a
hot-mop roof they painted over with the plastic stuff.

aem sends...