Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Laura

Default Bryant/Carrier vs. Trane

1. Which unit would you purchase?

I am having a new AC/Gas Furnace installed. I have quotes on
Carrier, Bryant and Trane (2 Ton, 13 Seer, 60BTU). Bryant came in the
least expensive, and I've been told Bryant is made by Carrier and is
just as good as a Carrier unit. Trane was $70 more than Carrier.
Since I have never heard of Bryant, I'm a little hesitant to go with
that brand.

2. Would you purchase an extended warranty?

We plan to remain in our at least 7 more years. Most quotes came
with 10 year warranty on compressor, 5 years parts and 1 year labor.
Would you pay an extra $500 for a Trane warranty good for 10years
parts and labor?

Thanks for your recommendations!

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Otto Mation (Caroline Freisen)

On 29 Jun 2006 04:06:43 -0700, "Laura" wrote:

2. Would you purchase an extended warranty?

Have you considered a home owners warranty instead? In most cases
they will cover your air conditioning/heating, ductwork, and tons of
other things in your home. There is often a deductible and you have
to use their contractors -- like an HMO for you home -- but you can
end up getting a lot more bang for your buck. But check out prices
and compare. The package I have even covers my sprinkler system.

CF
Posted to misc.consumers.house

I had Bryant everything in the last 2 houses and it was fine. IMO the
quality of the installation is more important than the brand though.

I would get the furnace that doesn't require a flue - 97% or whatever.
One less thing to worry about is your flue going to pot.

Personally I would not buy the warranty. Such equipment should easily
last 10 years without problems.