Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Vertical vs. Horizontal Blinds

Vertical vs. Horizontal Blinds

I need to buy blinds for my living room. I have never done it so I am
looking for an advice.

I live in a high-rise apartment building in New York. The window frame
is made
of metal so the blinds will have to be mounted to the ceiling.
Horizontally, the window stretches across the whole width of the room
(except for a few inches on both sides to account for the metal frame).

- The Left side has a window sill, there's room heater/air continioner
under the sill
- The Right side has a sliding glass balcony door and the ajacent tall
window, so that right half stretches from floor to the ceiling all the
way vertically

I have an option of installing 2 vertical blinds where the left blind
will be shorter (stops where the still/heater is) and the right blind
would be larger and would cover the sliding balcony door and the
adjacent window.

Or, I can install 2 horizontal blinds.

What would be the best choice for my situation? What kind of blinds
would you recommend? Do you recommend the cellular honeycomb shades?

Many thanks in advance.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Banty

In article om,
says...

Vertical vs. Horizontal Blinds

I need to buy blinds for my living room. I have never done it so I am
looking for an advice.

I live in a high-rise apartment building in New York. The window frame
is made
of metal so the blinds will have to be mounted to the ceiling.
Horizontally, the window stretches across the whole width of the room
(except for a few inches on both sides to account for the metal frame).

Depending on how much header is above your windows, though, you can just
outside-mount the shades.

- The Left side has a window sill, there's room heater/air continioner
under the sill
- The Right side has a sliding glass balcony door and the ajacent tall
window, so that right half stretches from floor to the ceiling all the
way vertically

I have an option of installing 2 vertical blinds where the left blind
will be shorter (stops where the still/heater is) and the right blind
would be larger and would cover the sliding balcony door and the
adjacent window.

Or, I can install 2 horizontal blinds.

What would be the best choice for my situation? What kind of blinds
would you recommend? Do you recommend the cellular honeycomb shades?

Many thanks in advance.

I guess one horizontal and one vertical would look funny, probably...

If it weren't for the sliding door, I'd urge you to go with vertical honeycomb
shades, and have them mounted so that they can be opened down from the top as
well as up from the bottom. That way, you can get more light in sometimes but
still have privacy keeping the lower half down, and it looks way cool for an
urban style.

Banty