Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bucky

Default fruit flies coming out of bathroom sink drain

I have fruit flies coming out of the bathroom sink drain. They do not
come out of any other drains in the house. Should I call a plumber or
pest control for this problem? Anyone resolve a similar problem to this
before? Thanks.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ameijers

"Bucky" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have fruit flies coming out of the bathroom sink drain. They do not
come out of any other drains in the house. Should I call a plumber or
pest control for this problem? Anyone resolve a similar problem to this
before? Thanks.

Fruit flies only nest or swarm where there is something to eat. Make sure
there isn't anything edible in the vanity under the sink, and dose the drain
with drain cleaner. Catch the flying ones with a vacum cleaner. Do you have
small kids in the house? I suspect an errant banana.

aem sends...

Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:52:19 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:

[cut] I suspect an errant banana.

Reminds me of that old saying: Time flies like an arrow, and fruit
flies like a banana.
Posted to misc.consumers.house
D Smith

"ameijers" writes:

"Bucky" wrote in message
roups.com...
I have fruit flies coming out of the bathroom sink drain. They do not
come out of any other drains in the house. Should I call a plumber or
pest control for this problem? Anyone resolve a similar problem to this
before? Thanks.

Fruit flies only nest or swarm where there is something to eat. Make sure
there isn't anything edible in the vanity under the sink, and dose the drain
with drain cleaner. Catch the flying ones with a vacum cleaner. Do you have
small kids in the house? I suspect an errant banana.

Also check to see what is trapped in the overflow of the sink. The trap
should be filled with water below the sink, and preventing anything from
working its way up from below - so the source should be "inside" the sink.
The overflow leads through the inside of the sink to the drain, and you
should see holes below where the plug sits that are the outlet of the
overflow.

Put the plug in, fill the sink, and see how well the overflow drains.
Trying to clear it out isn't fun. I've filled the sink, covered the
overflow with a rag (held in place by one hand), then taken a plunger to
the main drain while keepig the overflow blocked. You have to get the
plunger going quickly after you pull the plug, and you haven't got long
before the water is gone. I've thought about putting something into the
drain below the outlet for the overflow to block it up, then adding water
and using the plunger, but I haven't convonced myself I want the job of
removing that blockage later (if it's in well enough to withstand the
plunger action...) You can also add some drain cleaner through the
overflow, but it isn't easy to get it to move down to where the clog is
without washing it all the way out.

In my experience, sinks with pop-up plugs (connected to a lever in the
faucets) are the worst at accumulating crud in the overflow passages.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
Bucky wrote:

I have fruit flies coming out of the bathroom sink drain. They do not
come out of any other drains in the house. Should I call a plumber or
pest control for this problem? Anyone resolve a similar problem to this
before? Thanks.

They're probably in the overflow, and that means there's stuff in there
they're eating. Yuck.

I'd consider this a strong sign you should replace the sink.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bucky

ameijers wrote:
Fruit flies only nest or swarm where there is something to eat. Make sure
there isn't anything edible in the vanity under the sink, and dose the drain
with drain cleaner. Catch the flying ones with a vacum cleaner. Do you have
small kids in the house? I suspect an errant banana.

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I'm not sure what kind of flies they
are. But they are not house flies, they're about half the size of house
flies. There shouldn't be any food in the sink because it's in the
master bath, and I don't have any kids. I supposed the previous owner's
kids could have put food in it.

Also, the drainage in that sink is a little slow. Could that have an
affect as well?

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
Bucky wrote:

Also, the drainage in that sink is a little slow.

Slow drain, and flies...

What does that suggest to *you*?
Posted to misc.consumers.house
ameijers

"Bucky" wrote in message
oups.com...
ameijers wrote:
Fruit flies only nest or swarm where there is something to eat. Make

sure
there isn't anything edible in the vanity under the sink, and dose the

drain
with drain cleaner. Catch the flying ones with a vacum cleaner. Do you

have
small kids in the house? I suspect an errant banana.

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I'm not sure what kind of flies they
are. But they are not house flies, they're about half the size of house
flies. There shouldn't be any food in the sink because it's in the
master bath, and I don't have any kids. I supposed the previous owner's
kids could have put food in it.

Also, the drainage in that sink is a little slow. Could that have an
affect as well?

Yepper. You have some kind of organic clog in there. Did you just buy the
place? The previous owner may have dumped innapropriate stuff in there, like
some exotic skin lotion crap or something. Step one, I'd pull off the trap
and clean that, and use a bottle brush to clean as far as possible into the
wall. Wrap it in an old towel when you pull it out. Follow up with one of
the foaming 2-part drain cleaners, and as other posters have noted, funnel
some down the overflow. Flush the cleanser with cold after the designated
waiting period, and I like to follow that with lots of hot, assuming the
drain is flowing. I finally got around to doing all the above to the bath
sink in the place I bought, and it made a world of difference. I didn't have
any flying things, though.

If the trap cleaning and binary cleanser doesn't do it, I'd call a plumber
to get it snaked. If it is a hard clog deep in the wall, it won't be pretty.

aem sends...