Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Difference between Rubbing Alcohol and Bleach for cleaning?

This is going to sound weird, but what is the difference between
Alcohol and Bleach? In terms of cleaning things. and Im not talking
about drinking Alcohol, but the rubbing kind.

I heard that if you have mold, etc, the best thing to do is mix bleach
and water and use that to clean.

But someone at my boxing gym sprays a mixture of alcohol and water on
his equipment.
He does it to prevent mold and to keep it from smelling.

Does it work similiar to bleach?

Thanks

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Alcohol is a solvent and not as reactive with materials as bleach,
which is a strong oxidizer. Both have the capability to kill many
bacteria, though I think concentrated bleach is more effective. It's
certainly more cost effective too for cleaning large area, like
basement mold, as it can be diluted a lot and still be effective.

hmmm sounds like bleach is both stronger and cheaper.

but one thing is...Im concerned if I use bleach (even if I dilute it)
it will leave residue, so when I hit someone with the gloves, or use
the pads, etc...it will sting the eyes.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

If you're talking about cleaning gym eqpt, I agree I would not use
bleach. Alcohol is OK

But would it be strong enough?
Im talking about equipment that has been sweated on and kept in a
basement when not used. In other words, a germ and mold breeding
ground.

or you could use on of the kitchen/bath cleaners
that come in anti-bacterial version. Also, lysol would work.

Might be expensive, I would use it a couple of times a week, alcohol
should be cheap.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Dave Balderstone

In article . com,
wrote:

But someone at my boxing gym sprays a mixture of alcohol and water on
his equipment.
He does it to prevent mold and to keep it from smelling.

Bleach is corrosive. Alcohol is not.