Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumer.house,misc.consumers.house
Daniel Barrett

Default Help choosing a quiet oven? Are there any?

Has anyone purchased an electric wall oven recently that is QUIET? My
family has been living a suburban nightmare trying to find one. I
will pay $100 cash to the first person who solves this problem for us
as explained below.

First we bought a Jenn-Air JJW9627DDB with convention on the top oven,
thermal on the bottom. The bottom (non-convection) oven fan emitted a
high squealing noise that drove us mad. The fan was replaced twice
with no change. Then the oven was replaced under warranty, but the
replacement had the same noise. (From the fan that cools the
electronic controls.)

We returned the Jenn-Air and bought a Thermador SC272 after listening
to it in the store, where it was acceptably quiet. But when OURS
arrived and was installed at home, it sounded like a jet engine. We
will probably return it.

So clearly, listening to an oven in the store provides NO information
about the true loudness. Neither does Consumer Reports magazine.

We are at our wits end. It is very expensive (in time and money) to
keep buying and returning ovens, waiting for delivery, paying
installers, etc.

I will pay a $100 cash "finders fee" to the first person who
recommends a 27" electric double wall oven that is quiet and currently
available for sale, that we buy and like. Alternatively, if you
recommend some way to make our oven quieter, and we try it and it
works for us, that would also win the prize.

Followups directed to misc.consumerS.house.

--
Dan Barrett

Posted to misc.consumers.house
central_scrutinizer

Ask the Gentle Giant. He knows all!

No, but seriously... I think all of the convection ovens are a bit
noisy. I prefer to go medeival and roast wild boar on the spit in my
backyard while listening to Genesis...

I recently installed QuietRock, which is a sheet rock product designed
to cut down on sound transmission. Maybe you could install that in
between the oven and the cabinetry? Maybe not...

No $100 needed for that advice... Thanks for the great GG site, Dan...

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Alan Sung

"central_scrutinizer" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ask the Gentle Giant. He knows all!

No, but seriously... I think all of the convection ovens are a bit
noisy. I prefer to go medeival and roast wild boar on the spit in my
backyard while listening to Genesis...

I recently installed QuietRock, which is a sheet rock product designed
to cut down on sound transmission. Maybe you could install that in
between the oven and the cabinetry? Maybe not...

It's not the convection fan that is noisy. What makes the most noise is the
fan to keep the digital electronics cool. From an engineer's perspective,
putting digital electronics on top of a 400-500 degree oven doesn't make
much sense.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ameijers

"Alan Sung" wrote in message
"central_scrutinizer" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ask the Gentle Giant. He knows all!

No, but seriously... I think all of the convection ovens are a bit
noisy. I prefer to go medeival and roast wild boar on the spit in my
backyard while listening to Genesis...

I recently installed QuietRock, which is a sheet rock product designed
to cut down on sound transmission. Maybe you could install that in
between the oven and the cabinetry? Maybe not...

Oven? Oh, I know- that shiny white thing in the kitchen that doesn't keep
stuff cool, or wash dishes. I use mine to store all the metal pots that
don't work in the microwave....
(seriously, I have never heard an oven make any particular noises, but I
exist well below the level on the food chain that includes convection
ovens...)

aem sends...

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:25:58 -0600, someone wrote:

Has anyone purchased an electric wall oven recently that is QUIET?

If you want quiet, then don't get a wall oven with electronic
controls.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
central_scrutinizer

It is the convection fan that is noisy. I have a convection oven, and
it's only noisy when the convection fan is on. If you use it in normal
oven mode (with the heat elements, no fan) it is quiet.

A convection oven uses a fan to circulate hot air. You can have the
broiler on at 500 degrees, and the broiler element is right under the
electronics, but if it's not in convection mode, you won't hear the
fan.

I'm not sure how Dan's oven works, but at least mine works this way.
Regular ovens don't have fans. Convection ovens have fans inside the
oven to circulate hot air.

Convection ovens do cook food better and faster.

I think QuietRock could solve the problem. They have a QuietSeal
adhesive for the panels. Just keep in mind, it's about $100 for a sheet
of this special dry wall, but it works.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 20 Mar 2006 11:57:42 -0800, someone wrote:

It is the convection fan that is noisy. I have a convection oven, and
it's only noisy when the convection fan is on. If you use it in normal
oven mode (with the heat elements, no fan) it is quiet.

Yeah, except that didn't the guy claimed it wasn't just when the
convection was in use? BTW, we have a convection oven, but never use
that feature, and I have noticed maybe a couple of times a year when
the oven has been on a long time, that SOME fan SOMEWHERE, DID go on
when the convection was NOT in use, apparently for cooling purposes.

And I think the fan (A fan) also blows sometime during the
self-cleaning cycle? But yeah, plain old mechanically controlled,
old-fashioned ovens, non-convection, didn't have fans at all, AFAIK.

(The guy should stop buying high-end stuff?)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
central_scrutinizer

OK... The one I have doesn't do that. It's a Kitchen Aid. Perhaps the
only solution is to put in some acoustical treatment, like QuietRock or
Acoustiblock. Acoustiblock may be a bit easier, since it is a thin (yet
very heavy) sheet, whereas QuietRock is like standard drywall, but
heavier, and really does block out sound. I used it on the common wall
in my condo, and I can't hear my neighbor's toddler throw a tantrum
anymore, so it should help with the oven noise...

Dan -- where is the noise coming from? Is it a vibration in the
cabinet, or is it from the external face of the oven? If it's from the
external face of the oven, I don't know what can be done... If it's
inside the cabinet, then an acoustical treament should work.