Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Bathroom fan - how long to leave on?

Old February 28th 06, 06:06 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Bathroom fan - how long to leave on?

How long do you leave the fan on after you take a shower? And is it
better to open the bathroom door afterward and let the steam escape
into the rest of the house, or leavethe door closed and let the fan
remove it?

--

The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery,
a metaphor for a proof,

....Paul Valery
Old February 28th 06, 06:24 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

You leave the fan on until the room's humidity has returned
to normal, obviously.

If you can't tell just by feeling the air, then turn the fan
off a few minutes after the mirror finishes unfogging.

Unless you've got a smoke detector right outside the bathroom
door, it's fine to open the door. This will allow the room
to defog faster (both because some of the steam leaves
through the door, and because opening the door will increase
the air flow through the fan), which means less wear and tear
on the fan and on the paint or wallpaper (which don't
particularly like being wet).

Opening the door is a problem when there's a smoke detector
near it because steam escaping from the bathroom can set off
the smoke detector.

If you want to be particularly obsessive about this, note
that there are fans which have moisture sensors and shut off
automatically when they're no longer needed.
Old February 28th 06, 07:20 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

Steve writes:

How long do you leave the fan on after you take a shower?

About 5 minutes for my small bathroom is all the fan needs to make
things normal again. Then again, the fan never fogs up when it's on,
so it does a pretty good job. I've had other bathrooms where things
didn't work so well.

And is it better to open the bathroom door afterward and let the
steam escape into the rest of the house, or leavethe door closed and
let the fan remove it?

It depends. If your door is cut short enough to actually be letting
air into the room, you could do either and all would be well.

Letting it open while running the fan wouldn't be bad in any case
though, because typically (at least around here) you're running a
humidifier in the house in the winter anyway, an it will just
contribute to the comfort of the house.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Old March 1st 06, 12:33 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

I just heard on a home show that you should leave the fan on for 20
minutes after finishing in the shower. Leave the door open, unless
your home is tiny with a humidty problem already.

Old March 1st 06, 04:00 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

I agree with the other posters in that 5-15 minutes should be fine and if
you can see evidence that the humidity has cleared, that would be your
indicator.

What made me post is that I have always believed that having the door closed
is better if it has a gap at the bottom (which mine has). This way the
airflow is such that it is sweeping the air throughout the room moreso, from
bottom to top. Having the door open means that a great percentage of air is
coming in at the top of the room, leaving the bottom of the room with less
air exchange. I close my door and run the fan for about 3-5 minutes (the
time it takes me to dress) and all is fine. I don't walk away from it
because I will forget....

Tomes (a notorious sievehead on turning things off)

Old March 1st 06, 12:03 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

Tomes wrote:
I close my door and run the fan for about 3-5 minutes (the
time it takes me to dress) and all is fine. I don't walk away from it
because I will forget....

I used to have that problem until I installed timers in my bathrooms. Now I
just set the fans to run 10-15 minutes and walk away. The timers took the
places of the original on-off switches.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old March 1st 06, 04:18 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

I used to open the door after a shower, and let the steam out. But
then I noticed that the screws holding the headboard to the bed had
become rusted somehow, maybe from that steam?

--

The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

....James Cabell
Old March 1st 06, 04:48 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

This depends on many factors: size of bathrooom, how long the shower
was running, how cold it is outside (window condensation), what area
the humid air will flow to if the door is left open, etc. Keep in
mind that while that fan is running, it's sucking conditioned air out
of the house, wasting energy. In the winter, most homes could use the
extra moisture instead of venting it out, provided it flows out of the
bathroom fast enough. Forced air will be better in this regard than
other systems, like baseboard heat. In my house, the master bath is
large and has two doors into different rooms. I never use the fan
after showering.

Old March 1st 06, 10:43 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 03:00:20 GMT, someone wrote:

.... I close my door and run the fan for about 3-5 minutes (the
time it takes me to dress) and all is fine. I don't walk away from it
because I will forget....

That's why I have a timer on mine. Cheap and simple twist knob that
replaces the on/off switch. We DO walk away from ours, and let it
shut off by itself.

Old March 2nd 06, 06:05 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

"Jonathan Kamens" wrote in message
"Tomes" writes:
What made me post is that I have always believed that having the door
closed
is better if it has a gap at the bottom (which mine has). This way the
airflow is such that it is sweeping the air throughout the room moreso,
from
bottom to top. Having the door open means that a great percentage of air
is
coming in at the top of the room, leaving the bottom of the room with less
air exchange.

I dn't think this is a problem, because the humid air is hotter and
rises naturally, and because humidity diffuses quickly in air in any
case.

LOL - the point of the above text was addressing how to best remove the air,
not whether the air was good to have around.
Tomes

Bathroom paint problem emma UK diy 4 February 6th 06 11:32 PM
Damp basement fix (long) JustMe UK diy 10 January 6th 06 11:18 AM
bathroom lighting electrics question Ray Holden UK diy 1 February 19th 04 10:25 AM
How long to leave reconstructed piers before fixing joists? RichardS UK diy 2 October 21st 03 10:25 PM
Drier in Bathroom Fredrick Skoog UK diy 6 September 27th 03 08:40 PM