Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default preparing an offer on house that has easement for septic tank in neighbors yard

Hello everybody,

My wife and I were prepared to make an offer on a house today
before our realtor showed us the sellers disclosings that "easement for
septic tank in west neighbors yard". NOW, our realtor advised me to
hold off a day while she went and tried to find out more information on
it (if it was recorded, and how it was recorded). She mentioned to me
that if it was a true easement, my neighbor could not sue me. Now,
this is my first house, and I am somewhat new to septic systems( but
learning fast!!) and just figured I would ask my question in a forum
like this to see if I could get any suggestions. If anyone is willing
to help me out I would appreciate it. The house was built in 1948 and
sits on a half acre. The strange thing is, the house is in Evansville
Indiana (population 150,000) and is located within city limits, I would
have thought they would have sewer lines run by now (she is also
checking to see if sewer is availble). So would this be a deal breaker
to many people? We love the house and the price as is, but my realtor
suggested "worse case scenario" offer full price and make them put new
septic system in our own yard. Any thoughts?

thanks!!

Andy Stocker

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

writes:
[...]

Indiana's dirty little secret is the disturbing popularity of flushing
their **** into their back yards. I talked with a relocatee form
Indianapolis who talked about it and really is curious what's going to
happen when half the city's septic systems gtart giving out at around
the same time.

Your situation is really interesting in that your **** would be
rotting in your neighbor's back yard. Good times.

Your realtor is wise to give pause to check everything. I'd be
getting a real estate attorney involved to and make sure your offer
contract gives you a few days for attorney's review.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Heathcliff

Wow, that's an interesting situation. Information is definitely your
friend here. The first question is, does the house indeed have septic
or is it hooked up to a city sewer. I would not assume anything. If
it does have septic, you need to know where is the tank, and where is
the leach field. An easement, if properly drawn up and recorded, can
give you the right to continue this arrangement, but it could be kinda
awkward. You might want to have evaluations done by (a) lawyer and (b)
plumber. Write back to tell us who charges more!

One note of advice: if putting in a new septic system, it might be
better to have them knock the cost off the selling price and have it
put in yourself, if you can make the financials work. That way the
work is done to your liking and specifications, not theirs. You have
the greatest incentive to ensure it is done well. Speaking of which,
is there a well also? -- H

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 13 Feb 2006 07:58:51 -0800, someone wrote:

.... She mentioned to me
that if it was a true easement, my neighbor could not sue me.

Sue you for what? Why would they be suing you in the first place?
Did you go and sneak that septic system in there while they weren't
looking?

And as the saying goes, "Anybody can sue anybody for anything - the
question is, CAN THEY WIN?"

Nothing stops anybody from suing you for anything. There are many
many things that can effect whether they could win.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

If you're buying a house and don't know if it's on sewer or septic you
really need to stop. I'd run this by an attorney who does work in real
estate, and ask them exactly what everything means cause your agent,
well-meaning as they may be, don't know anything you can bank on. You
may be encroaching on your neighbors yard. You may have an actual
easement that lets you use their yard. You may not even be on septic
for all you know, pardon my tone.

Indianapolis has a LOT of septic. That's why the river is unsafe.
Sixteen years with a Democrat for a governor, still the same. Two
years with a Republican for a governor, he'll build a road over it.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Harry K

wrote:
[...]

That is the oddest thing I ever heard of. In addition to gathering the
information others suggested here are some further thoughts.

A house built in 1948 quite possibly is on its second septic tank/drain
field system and due for a third.

If you proceed with the sale, BE SURE the easement covers a total dig
up of the neighbor's yard to replace the field.

If you do proceed (without a new system in your backyard) get a HEFTY
reduction in price.

Harry K

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Ok, WOW! Thanks for the replies. Here is what we learned today

1) It is on city water, but not sewer....hmmm??

2) The neighbors did a survey in 2005 (we noticed they were renovating
when we checked out our house) so they should be aware of it.

3) The sewer lines are 2 blocks away, and it is not possible to tap in.

4) There is accurate recording of the easement, and it is a true
easement, whatever that means, going to find out tommorow.

5) The realtor that is selling the house contaced our realtor today and
told her everything that she already found out from the water
department and records, he even told her that "whatever it takes to
sell this house" (strange I know) it has been on the market for 1 year
Feb. 28th...

I will call a plumber and real estate lawyer today and find out more,
thanks again!

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Don Phillipson

writes:

My wife and I were prepared to make an offer on a house today
before our realtor showed us the sellers disclosings that "easement for
septic tank in west neighbors yard". NOW, our realtor advised me to
hold off a day while she went and tried to find out more information on
it (if it was recorded, and how it was recorded). She mentioned to me
that if it was a true easement, my neighbor could not sue me. Now,
this is my first house, and I am somewhat new to septic systems( but
learning fast!!) and just figured I would ask my question in a forum

Unless you have total legal confidence in your realtor, you
also need a real estate lawyer adept in local conditions.
Septic tanks can last for ever in good conditions (stable
soil, not too much rain, tank large enough for actual users).
The realtor can examine service records (when the tank was
last pumped empty, by a company competent to advise on the
tank's condition etc.) and advise.

The permanence of this easement is the important factor. It
should include the tile bed (leach field) as well as the
tank. The history of this construction is probably that the
tank was installed on a one-acre lot, later divided in two to
build a second house next door.

"Todd H." wrote in message ...

Your situation is really interesting in that your **** would be
rotting in your neighbor's back yard.

This hints at incomplete knowledge of how septic tanks work.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to misc.consumers.house

I'd also consider the following:

Why was the septic system placed on the neighbors property to begin
with? It sounds like there is no suitable location on the property
you are considering buying and I would want to know why. If there is
no suitable location on your own property or connection to city sewer
available, I'd be fairly reluctant to buy this property. When the
current system goes kaput, I'd want the option of getting away from
having another one put in the same location.

And if you do want to proceed, as others have suggested, I'd make sure
the easement is legally recorded and airtight, by consulting with a
knowledgable attorney. The sellers should have all the info on this
available too, as it's not rocket science that this will come up as a
major issue in a sale.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 13 Feb 2006 19:30:43 -0800, someone wrote:

If you do proceed (without a new system in your backyard) get a HEFTY
reduction in price.

Big talk. Easy to do from behind your keyboard. The price it is at
NOW may (or may not) be a fair market price WITH the septic on the
neighbor's land. What if the price is ALREADY thousands of dollars
below that of similar houses with their septic systems on their own
land? Then to get even more off, you'd be "double counting" the
septic easment discount.

The "market" may not even recognize any discount here. WTF is it to
you if you have a right to have your septic tank on your neighbor's
land???? More likely to reduce the sale price of the neighbor's place
than yours, who'd want to buy a place with the other guy's septic on
it? But really, what is wrong, how does it inconvenience you in any
way, if you can foist your leach field off on your neighbor? The
title search will verify the easement. What's the problem actually?

While this is not common, I have heard of it before.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 07:55:44 -0500, someone wrote:

....The history of this construction is probably that the
tank was installed on a one-acre lot, later divided in two to
build a second house next door.

Maybe, maybe not. Sure all land was divided up from something else
some time (and it also sometimes gets put back together too).

Anecdotal examples:

When I bought land for my house, I bought 2 adjacent lots as a package
deal. The Seller said that they had found they couldn't build on the
2nd lot as (due to a seasonal watercourse) the only place they could
get an approved septic system in, was over on the first lot. BUT the
Town didn't allow that any more. So the 2nd lot was sort of 'thrown
in' to the deal. This is land that had been divided into 'paper lots'
way way back when regulations were lax and long before any building
took place.

HOWEVER - later on, I bought several more lots in the same Town, all
contiguous. And one of them also had that "no place for the septic"
thing, for the same reason. (It was therefore assessed very low as a
non-buildable lot.) So what did I do? Well, I just moved the lot
line. I had enought total frontage and acreage to do this. More than
one way to skin the cat, as long as both lots are under the same
ownership BEFORE they are built on. Afterwards, and it gets harder to
be 'creative'

Particularly if the "servient estate" (the one having the easement put
upon it) has a mortgage on it already, and/or it can't afford to give
up any size, it can be easier to 'just' put an easement on it, than to
change the boundaries.

It's odd but not unheard of. Before regs got stiffer, it supposedly
used to be done in my Town.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

v wrote:
[...]

What's the problem? How about when it comes time for replacement and
the next door neighbor who by then may hate you for whatever reason,
decides to make life as difficult as possible for you. Who knows how
big the easement is, what landscaping, fencing, etc the neighbor has
nearby the area, or how accessable it is. If he decides he wants to
give you a hard time with regard to access for equipment, where they
can pile dirt, etc, a job that could cost 15K in your own backyard
could cost $50K in not only construction costs, but legal costs as the
neighbor tries to limit what you can do. And I could see many
neighbors trying to severly limit what you do as you dig up a stinking
mess in their back yard. As an example, in your own back yard, if the
contractor wants to remove dirt and put it in a pile, you can just say,
OK, put it there. In the neighbors yard, the dirt might have to be
moved out by wheelbarrow to be piled somewhere else.

And I think the point of making sure the price reflects this, as Harry
suggested, is a good idea. Unless this property is favorably priced,
there are plenty of other homes to buy. I'd want to know why the
septic system is on someone else's property. And if there were no way
to put one on the house's own property or option to connect to city
sewer, I'd move on to the next house.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Una

wrote:
1) It is on city water, but not sewer....hmmm??

That's good. You really don't want a domestic water well and
a septic system together on such a small lot. In fact, on a
0.5 acre lot it may be illegal to install a septic system at
all. So your only options are the easement on the neighbor's
property, or hook up (possibly at considerable expense) to the
city sewer.

2) The neighbors did a survey in 2005 (we noticed they were renovating
when we checked out our house) so they should be aware of it.

Not necessarily.

3) The sewer lines are 2 blocks away, and it is not possible to tap in.

Sure it's possible. But not practical.

4) There is accurate recording of the easement, and it is a true
easement, whatever that means, going to find out tommorow.

For you, I would say it is irrelevant. This is *not* a smart
situation for a first-time home owner. I bet you don't know
how many gallons the septic tank holds. And you don't need
to consult a plumber, you need to consult a *septic company*.
You also need to find out what company installed the tank and
field, and get design records from them, so you can judge how
long the tank and field are likely to continue to function.
Hire a *different* septic company to do a thorough evaluation.

5) The realtor that is selling the house contaced our realtor today and
told her everything that she already found out from the water
department and records, he even told her that "whatever it takes to
sell this house" (strange I know) it has been on the market for 1 year
Feb. 28th...

Ah. Does the listing agent's contract with the sellers end
on the 28th? "Whatever it takes to sell this house" is not
strange at all; the agent makes zero money unless the house
sells during the contract.

The house has been on the market for a year. Did you just
start looking? Have you considered waiting to see what new
properties come on the market, that you will have a chance
at before they sell? Good buys usually sell fast.

Una

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Well guys, thanks for your input and suggestions!! I felt like I
owed it to you to tell you how this story ended. We decided to make an
offer on the house, contingent on the fact that it passed thorough
septic inspection or we could walk. Well, last week when the septic
guy came out he found that the whole west end of the house (all but one
bathroom) had a major problem. There is a creek that is about 300 feet
away from the back of the house, and behind a tree about 200 feet from
the house lay some 3" rubber tubing that came from underground. Sure
enough, when we flushed toilet paper down the toilet it came out onto
the ground, and the tubing was layed across the neighbors property at
that!! Well, obviously it didn't pass inspection as our septic guy
gave the seller an estimate of 20k to put a mound system in(the only
way it could feasibly be done) and of course they declined, but they
wanted to have there own septic inspection, because they thought we had
"buyers remorse". So yesterday, my wife and I along with the realtor
went to take some more pictures, when we noticed that a trench had been
dug along the neighbors property line all the way to the creek, but the
raw sewage line was still left out. At this point it became clear to
us that the neighbor was the one that either disconnected it, or
something else. So this guy comes out and asks us if we have any
questions. He said that he was building a deck (which he is) and we he
"got to diggin" he run into the tank and decided that he had to
re-route "our contract houses" septic line. And then he went on to say
that him and his neighbors have been running the overflow into the
creek for years, and that the health department said it was ok, haha.
He said he could have put a septic system in, but it would cost too
much money so he just ran it out into the creek! Meanwhile, I had this
whole thing of him telling this on video tape, in case we need it, but
I should get my earnest money back by friday, but of course I am out my
inspection money. The seller is a young girl that was relocated by GE
to Michigan and she is flying back today to find out "what the hel*" is
going on, I think the neighbor duped her along time ago with this
septic easement crap that really is just undergound tubing that runs
the crap into a creek...but NOT my problem, thank God for me that this
guy decided to remodel his house and dug up the line to have it out for
all to see, or we probably would have not noticed it going to the
creek. A BIG LEARNING LESSON FOR US, never assume that a septic system
is even in place, and I think I am going to try to stay away from
septic in Evansville Indiana, at least within the city limits...

PS I did what some of you suggested, got free legal advice from a real
estate attorney about how to word the sales contract, and that is what
is getting me out of this...we are not gunshy about buying our first
house, but we are definately more aware of things now, thanks to all!

Andy Stocker

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

writes:

Well guys, thanks for your input and suggestions!! I felt like I
owed it to you to tell you how this story ended.

Wow. Thanks for the followup. What a wild story.

Glad you got out of that deal!

"buyers remorse". So yesterday, my wife and I along with the realtor
went to take some more pictures, when we noticed that a trench had been
dug along the neighbors property line all the way to the creek, but the
raw sewage line was still left out. At this point it became clear to
us that the neighbor was the one that either disconnected it, or
something else.

This is the part I don't fully understand. So this 3" line that's
flushing sewage down toward the creek is still out there? Had it
always been? Or just since the neighbor dug the trench? Or what's
with the trench? How are the trench and the tube related? And where
is this septic tank? On the neighbor's property?

Just curious--it's such a wild situation.

The seller is a young girl that was relocated by GE to Michigan and
she is flying back today to find out "what the hel*" is going on,

I wonder if this all may become the relocation company's
responsibility. Sometimes in these transactions, a relo company will
buy the house from the seller somewhere in mid transaction to cut the
seller out this sort of drama.

I think the neighbor duped her along time ago with this septic
easement crap that really is just undergound tubing that runs the
crap into a creek...

Dunno if that makes sense though. What motivation would the neighbor
have to dupe in that vein?

but NOT my problem, thank God for me that this guy decided to
remodel his house and dug up the line to have it out for all to see,
or we probably would have not noticed it going to the creek.

Ah... got it.

A BIG LEARNING LESSON FOR US, never assume that a septic system is
even in place, and I think I am going to try to stay away from
septic in Evansville Indiana, at least within the city limits...

PS I did what some of you suggested, got free legal advice from a
real estate attorney about how to word the sales contract, and that
is what is getting me out of this...we are not gunshy about buying
our first house, but we are definately more aware of things now,
thanks to all!

Very cool. Glad it worked out and you avoided getting stuck with that
**** *snicker*

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 2 Mar 2006 04:59:46 -0800, someone wrote:

it were me, the last thing I would do is call the local code
enforcement officer or health department and tell them what is going on
here.

Would that be the last thing or the first thing to do?

Well anyway, this is one of the few times I agree with "trader", but
yeah you really ought to report it and include at least some still
pics. This is outrageous. What would most **** me off is that if
that I would STRONGLY suspect the guy was lying to me when he claimed
it was OK with the Town/City.

Wonder what he would have said if you had told him, OK then you would
come back with the City/Town inspector, "just to make sure" it was
okay, being as you were a first time home buyer and all that....

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 02 Mar 2006 12:10:29 -0600, someone wrote:

Very cool. Glad it worked out and you avoided getting stuck with that
**** *snicker*

Yeah really. I have said before that the mere fact of a septic on an
adjacent lot is not unheard of and can be legitimate. Here, the BIG
problem was not so much an adjacent lot being invlved, but that there
WAS NO SEPTIC system, just dumping in the creek. (I have seen that
also.)

If there was a good septic system and a properly worded easement, that
alone is not necessarily a deal breaker. Under THAT situation, an
offer requiring the Seller to put in a new system would likely be
viewed as unreasonable (since there would be a properly functioning
system) and maybe even impossible, or else why was it put over on the
neighboring lot anyway....

Here, the Seller is just full of (sh)it.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

v wrote:
On 2 Mar 2006 04:59:46 -0800, someone wrote:

it were me, the last thing I would do is call the local code
enforcement officer or health department and tell them what is going on
here.

Would that be the last thing or the first thing to do?

LOL. I meant last in the sense of it being the final step when he's
done with this mess, not in the sense of it being something I would not
do. But I see how it could be taken the other way.

BTW, I think we would also agree that he shouldn't call the code boys
until he gets his deposit back. Given this fiasco, you would hope that
would be quickly forthcoming.

I'd love to hear the rest of this story. It sounds like the young lady
who owns the property probably had no idea what was going on. I
wonder if she even had the place inspected before buying it? This
thing could take years and lots of lawyers to try to straighten out.
And she's not in a very good position either. Especially when they
stop her from flushing the toilet! Not a good position to be in when
trying to sell the house. If she doesn't have much equity or assets,
this could wind up being owned by the bank in short order.

Now if the buyer really likes the house and wants to fix this right,
this could become a great deal at the right price.

Well anyway, this is one of the few times I agree with "trader", but
yeah you really ought to report it and include at least some still
pics. This is outrageous. What would most **** me off is that if
that I would STRONGLY suspect the guy was lying to me when he claimed
it was OK with the Town/City.

Wonder what he would have said if you had told him, OK then you would
come back with the City/Town inspector, "just to make sure" it was
okay, being as you were a first time home buyer and all that....

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Hey everybody! Thanks again for all the comments, and suggestions.
1) We did get our money back, yeaahhh! and 2) I did call the "code"
boys out on the neighbor as well, I got so mad I felt justified in
doing so.

Now, one last question. The septic inspection, that included a 3
page report about how the system failed, and how much it would be to
put a mound system in, as well as about an hour and a half on site with
the owner of the septic company and another guy (although we really
just stood around and watched toilet paper come out onto the ground)
came with a bill for 360 bucks!! To me, this seems a bit excessive,
considering the entire house inspection alone was $250. Does this
sound reasonable to you guys, given the circumstances? (One being, they
got me out of a house deal) He told me the day he came out to the house
he had no idea what it would cost, and his wife told me on the phone a
couple of days later that they never do anything like that so she
wasn't sure how much they would charge either. I never agreed in
writing to anything, but I figure if I was an as* and tried to take
them to court I would lose anyway. I really do feel like they did a
good job, but not $360 worth of a good job. I'm thinking about either
calling them, letting my realtor call them (she offered to do so) or
sending them a check for either 200 or 250 and tell them I would like
to see a detailed breakdown of the billing, and just see what flies.
What do you guys think??

THANKS A MILLION SO FAR!

Andy

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Una

wrote:
Now, one last question. The septic inspection, that included a 3
page report about how the system failed, and how much it would be to
put a mound system in, as well as about an hour and a half on site with
the owner of the septic company and another guy (although we really
just stood around and watched toilet paper come out onto the ground)
came with a bill for 360 bucks!! To me, this seems a bit excessive,

They made two visits, one to figure out what was up, the other to
show you. And they wrote a long report. You got a lot for $360.

considering the entire house inspection alone was $250.

Irrelevant.

Una

Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote:
Hey everybody! Thanks again for all the comments, and suggestions.
1) We did get our money back, yeaahhh! and 2) I did call the "code"
boys out on the neighbor as well, I got so mad I felt justified in
doing so.

Now, one last question. The septic inspection, that included a 3
page report about how the system failed, and how much it would be to
put a mound system in, as well as about an hour and a half on site with
the owner of the septic company and another guy (although we really
just stood around and watched toilet paper come out onto the ground)
came with a bill for 360 bucks!! To me, this seems a bit excessive,
considering the entire house inspection alone was $250. Does this
sound reasonable to you guys, given the circumstances? (One being, they
got me out of a house deal)

Two guys for an hour and a half on site, plus a written 3 page report,
it doesn't seem that high to me.

He told me the day he came out to the house
he had no idea what it would cost, and his wife told me on the phone a
couple of days later that they never do anything like that so she
wasn't sure how much they would charge either.

Why would you hire anyone on that basis? If they never do any worklike
that, then what do they do and why did you hire them? I would either
have gotten a price for the inspection job upfront or else an hourly
rate.

I never agreed in
writing to anything, but I figure if I was an as* and tried to take
them to court I would lose anyway. I really do feel like they did a
good job, but not $360 worth of a good job. I'm thinking about either
calling them, letting my realtor call them (she offered to do so) or
sending them a check for either 200 or 250 and tell them I would like
to see a detailed breakdown of the billing, and just see what flies.
What do you guys think??

I think you should pay the bill. If you want to go to court, a more
interesting possibility is to sue the homeowner, claiming that she had
to know their septic system was a mere outfall pipe into a stream on
the neighbors property. And by not disclosing that upfront, she
grossly misrepresented the property and she cost you all the inspection
fees to uncover that the property couldn't even get a CO and was unfit
for sale.

THANKS A MILLION SO FAR!

Andy

Posted to misc.consumers.house
sylvan butler

On 7 Mar 2006 22:14:35 -0800, wrote:
Now, one last question. The septic inspection, that included a 3
page report about how the system failed, and how much it would be to
put a mound system in, as well as about an hour and a half on site with
the owner of the septic company and another guy (although we really

I figure to get one person on-site is $50 (if they lose money) to $75
(break-even for them) to $100 (profit from just coming out) in addition
to whatever work they do there. Two people coming out could easily be
$100 just to show up. Two people spent 1.5hrs with you? Add another
$100 for their time.

Did someone come out seperately and spend some time? Add another $75.
Was it more than 30minutes on that visit? Add $35-$50/hr.

Did they have to do any excavation?

Did they pump the septic tank?

Did they put a camera thru the lines?

Did they use any consumables (e.g. flush a dye pack) or specialized
equipment?

Did they do any research about local conditions and/or similar jobs in
the area to prepare your report? e.g. I had an engineering firm compile
a preliminary site drainage design based on research and testing they
had previously performed on a nearby property. Normally a full test
starts at $1500 but often costs far more and takes two to four weeks to
develop a design. I wanted to have an idea in a few days and wanted it
cheap. It cost me $500 with the knowledge that a portion would be
applied to a full test if/when they did such on that property. I did
specify up front what I wanted (which they did not typically do) and
what they would charge. I received probably 4-8 hours of work mostly by
a junior clerk in the firm.

Moral: You have to expect to pay for time, expertise, equipment, etc.

writing to anything, but I figure if I was an as* and tried to take
them to court I would lose anyway.

Yeah, don't do that. At least not before you talk to them, and really,
it is only $360...

What do you guys think??

I think you should carefully evaluate what you know or think they did.
From your description it sounds to me like $300 isn't too far out of
line. If that is really all they did, I'd probably talk to them along
the lines of "I was really suprised by a bill for $360. Having seen the
work you did, I was expecting something more like $200, or maybe $250.
I don't want to cause any hard feelings, but maybe you can explain what
I missed, or perhaps you would take $250 as payment in full?" I would
prefer to do this in person, or at least on the phone. Don't just send
a reduced payment marked "payment in full" unless they refuse to talk.

And remember the bottom line... Treat them like you would like to be
treated. After all, you may need them again some day and on that day
it would be great to have a friend in the business.

sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 7 Mar 2006 22:14:35 -0800, someone wrote:

... To me, this seems a bit excessive,
considering the entire house inspection alone was $250.

How many hours did the house inspection take?

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 24th 04 12:50 AM
Complete new CH or just new boiler ChrisJ UK diy 4 September 15th 04 10:05 PM
Residential water pressure design - Help Peter Neubert Home Repair 3 August 14th 04 04:09 PM
Unethical real estate agent? Tim Ebling Home Ownership 19 December 25th 03 12:04 PM