Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Newbie Q: sump pump

I am consider making offer on a house that has a sump pump (the house
has no basement, just fairly small crawl space; there's a little
creek about 20-30 yards behind a house; also a lake about ¼ mile
away.)

I know nothing about sump pumps, so would appreciate any tips/advise.
Specifically:

1. What are the normal maintenance procedures; annual
operating/maintenance costs?
2. I'd be very afraid of the sump pump becoming an "owner
nightmare." What are the things that could go wrong? Worst case
scenario?
3. If, at some point, a new sump pump needs to be put it, how much
would that cost?
4. Could the fact that the house needs a sump pump be an indication of
bigger moisture-related problems e.g., mold?
5. Anything else I should be aware of?

The house is a ranch-style, 4 bedrooms, ca. 1,900 sq ft, located in
Littleton, CO (Denver metro), if that matters.

TIA

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

writes:

I am consider making offer on a house that has a sump pump (the house
has no basement, just fairly small crawl space; there's a little
creek about 20-30 yards behind a house; also a lake about ¼ mile
away.)

I know nothing about sump pumps, so would appreciate any tips/advise.
Specifically:

1. What are the normal maintenance procedures; annual
operating/maintenance costs?

No maintenance required other than making sure it works.

2. I'd be very afraid of the sump pump becoming an "owner
nightmare." What are the things that could go wrong? Worst case
scenario?

We've got sump pumps all over the place here in the midwest. They're
not that big a deal. I grew up in a place that had 2 large active
sumps that required pumping several times a day. I've had 2 houses
in Chicagoland that have small sumps that are hardly ever active.

Worst case, the pump fails during a heavy rainstorm and the sump
overflows and floods the area around it. You say it's a crawlspace,
so that doesn't sound like it'd be all that bad. If there's living
space on the same level, you're well advised to have a battery backed
redundant pump and, in the event of extended outages, possibly a
generator.

Sump pumps are very simple. The only things that can go wrong a

Pump failure. Easy and pretyt simple to replace. They do
wear out.

Float switch failure. Pumps have vairous ways of activating.
Some have a float switch. If the float floods, that thing
won't ever turn it on.

The check valve (mounted separately from the pump that keeps
water from comimg back down/into the pump) fails closed, pump
activates, and the pipe coupling bursts and sprays water
around the place. This happened once at the home I grew up in
wiht the very active large sumps. Check valves are cheap and
dead simple to replace. I've seen this happen only once in
the home I grew up in. I was like... I dunno, 10 years old
and I replaced it.

3. If, at some point, a new sump pump needs to be put it, how much
would that cost?

A new pump is less than $150 at home depot. They're quite easy to
replace as well.

4. Could the fact that the house needs a sump pump be an indication of
bigger moisture-related problems e.g., mold?

Probably not any indication of mold.

However, it may be an indicator that grading or the area water table
is such that periodically you need to pump that baby out. You're
better off with a seldom-activated sump pump than you are without a
sump that leaves you with a wet basement/crawl when it rains hard.

Ask the owner and neighbors how active their sump pumps are. Many
places around here have, for instance, have sumps that rarely fill,
but the pumps are there in the event of an extraordinary rains.

5. Anything else I should be aware of?

Radon perhaps. When radon is detected in a home, the sump pits get
sealed, and an active vent put on them that vents to the outside.
Simple radon test will eliminate that, and even if you have radon, the
remediation is pretty straightforward.

If the sump is active and on a level with stuff you care about,
consider a redudant battery backed pump to join your main pump in the
pit with it. Basement Watchdog makes a good one. They're pretty
simple to install, esp if PVC pipe is involved. PVC is fun to work
with actually. Like an erector set that actually does something
useful.

I'd also check for evidence of water stains or flooding around the
sump to see if there might have been a backup of some sort, and I'd
quiz the neighbors about their sump experiences if you want additional
peace of mind.

But, no a sump pump isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

You should have this place inspected by a competent home inspector. To
need a sump pump in a crawl space is not typical and I'd want to make
sure where the water is coming from, how it;s getting there, etc. If
the place is properly graded, you would have to have a very high water
table to need a sump pump in a crawl space. And you want to be sure
the pump wasn;t added after a lot of moisture problems already did
damage, ie rot, mold, etc.

It's possible the sump pump is not even usually needed, just there for
the once in 20 year exceptional rain, but I'd make sure to find out
what's going on, before you buy.

As already pointed out, sump pumps are cheap to replace and operate and
require no maintenance.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Oh, sorry I didn't make this clear in my original post:

I didn't say that the sump pump was located _IN_ the crawl space. In
fact, I don't know where it's located. I have just noticed on the
listing that the house has a sump pump (something that has skipped my
attention up until now), but that's all I know for now. I am going to
see the house tomorrow morning.

My remark about the crawl space was as an aside, I just meant to add
that the house does not have a basement, but only crawl space.

As far as making sure that the pump works, is that something the owner
has to be checking every day? Do you then need to get down to where the
pump is located?

thanks again

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 12 Jan 2006 13:23:16 -0800, someone wrote:

I didn't say that the sump pump was located _IN_ the crawl space. In
fact, I don't know where it's located. I have just noticed on the
listing that the house has a sump pump (something that has skipped my
attention up until now), but that's all I know for now. I am going to
see the house tomorrow morning.

A little too quick on the draw then.

First see if there really IS a sump pump, and where it is.

Ask the realtor what the story is.

THEN come back here.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Don Phillipson

wrote in message
oups.com...

As far as making sure that the pump works, is that something the owner
has to be checking every day? Do you then need to get down to where the
pump is located?

Frequency of checking the sump pump is serviceable
is governed by frequency of need. (Having unknowingly
built on an underground spring, my neighbour's sump
pump is running 250 to 300 days a year.)

It is no trouble to check. Just remove the sump
cover (desirable to stop children playing in the water)
and if there is any water there jiggle the float switch.
If the pump is OK it will run briefly.

If you are nervous, have a spare pump ready to
instal whenever the old one may break down. The
last I bought cost $25 and installed in one minute.
(Connect pump output valve to hose and plug in
its electric plug.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

"Don Phillipson" writes:

It is no trouble to check. Just remove the sump
cover (desirable to stop children playing in the water)
and if there is any water there jiggle the float switch.
If the pump is OK it will run briefly.

I have an interesting/sad/morbidly amusing sump related story from my
childhood....

We had hamsters that had a cage in the basement. They had babies, and
there were maybe 7 or 8 of various sizes in there at the time. The
crafty little *******s escaped their cage one day, and I didn't find
out for maybe 36 hours.

The thing I learned from a vet regarding hamsters though--they can
smell water, and seek it out when thirsty.

Well, that's the day I fished a number of drowned hamsters out of the
sumps. *sigh* Poor buggers. At least the cat didn't pay them a
visit. I felt terrible.

So, rodent owners--consider sealing the pit if you'll be keeping your
rodent pets on the same level as the sump.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Several things wrong with new flat - no central heating, low hot water pressure even with water pump, noisey pump kiich UK diy 69 July 13th 05 07:36 PM
Basement Water Despite Sump Pump DaveR Home Repair 12 April 4th 05 03:47 PM
Broken Sump Pump? toller Home Repair 12 April 4th 05 03:04 PM
New Sump Pump question DCM Fan Home Repair 1 April 6th 04 01:27 AM
Sump pump question. Pradeep Krishna Home Repair 3 September 2nd 03 07:34 PM