Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Can Fantom/Thunder vacuum be resurrected?

Old January 9th 06, 02:09 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Can Fantom/Thunder vacuum be resurrected?

Hi,

My 7 year old Fantom/Thunder vacuum just stopped working. The on-off switch
was not working (struck on on) for the past 1.5 years and we were just
plugging/unplugging it. Could this be repaired as DIY job?

TIA for any help
Old January 10th 06, 03:01 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

Yes, it can easily be repaired. You can take the vacuum apart and
replace the switch with another original. I don't like to spend money
or waste time. I pried the old switch out and wired in a rocker switch
from something else in place of the original. The wires from the old
switch had enough slack to allow that. Then I hot melt glued the switch
in place. I could have used epoxy instead. These are great vacuums, but
the switches tend to go bad.

Old January 10th 06, 11:14 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I might have not made myself very clear. The
switch stopped working 1.5-2 years back. But the vacuum just quit last
Sunday. I am assuming that the switch is broken and struck on 'off'. I will
take a stab at it.