Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
rbiondi

Default Genie Garage Door Opener

My opener appears to be operating properly BUT it is tripping a 15a
circuit breaker in my main panel. It does this when it is NOT in
operation. While trying to get this breaker to stay set I disconnected
everything on the circuit until it quit tripping. Unplugging the
garage door opener is this only thing that worked. With evrything
(including the opener) plugged in the breaker trips about every 15-20
minutes. Until it trips, everything including the opener appears to
work properly. Again, when it trips the opener is not in use. If this
makes sense to anyone I sure would appreciate some tips.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Speedy Jim

rbiondi wrote:

My opener appears to be operating properly BUT it is tripping a 15a
circuit breaker in my main panel. It does this when it is NOT in
operation. While trying to get this breaker to stay set I disconnected
everything on the circuit until it quit tripping. Unplugging the
garage door opener is this only thing that worked. With evrything
(including the opener) plugged in the breaker trips about every 15-20
minutes. Until it trips, everything including the opener appears to
work properly. Again, when it trips the opener is not in use. If this
makes sense to anyone I sure would appreciate some tips.

Is the breaker a GFI type? (It would have a TEST button)
Is the opener connected to a 3-prong recept with a
3-prong plug?

The obvious answer is that "something" is wrong with
the opener but maybe you wanted to dig deeper.
Ji m
Posted to misc.consumers.house

I would start with trying a new breaker, then try plugging something
different into the outlet and see what happens, it may come down to the
opener having a short HJ The Home Improvement Success Club of America,
http://www.homeimprovementsuccess.com