Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Annie

Default Long-Distance Service?

I have been reading a lot on this board about long-distance service and
doing my own research by going to companies' websites. I have decided that
I might give OneSuite a try. I just wanted to try one more time before
jumping off the cliff. Has anyone here tried OneSuite and if you have what
did you think?
Annie
nr

I've been using OneSuite for a few years and it usually works fine.
Occasionally I can't get a connection, but very rarely. Customer
'service' is ok, but you've got to 'top off' your account every six
months (I think) to keep the account active. I'm sure you know to use
a local access number, if possible. I haven't found a cheaper long
distance service, though I keep looking.

NotMe

"nr"

| I've been using OneSuite for a few years and it usually works fine.
| Occasionally I can't get a connection, but very rarely. Customer
| 'service' is ok, but you've got to 'top off' your account every six
| months (I think) to keep the account active. I'm sure you know to use
| a local access number, if possible. I haven't found a cheaper long
| distance service, though I keep looking.

following is a Suite Treat link that will get both of us 20 Min of air time.

https://www.onesuite.com/01BF57226/suitetreat

My entire family has been using onesuite for years. The thing I like best
is I can put my grand kids phone number in the system and they can call us
at any time on our nickel (their mom and dad are going back to school so
money is tight for them). Keeps grandma happy and if grandma ain't happy
ain't nobody happy.

John A. Weeks III

In article 6F_Ze.4567$qC4.3911@trnddc02,
Annie wrote:

I have been reading a lot on this board about long-distance service and
doing my own research by going to companies' websites. I have decided that
I might give OneSuite a try. I just wanted to try one more time before
jumping off the cliff. Has anyone here tried OneSuite and if you have what
did you think?
Annie

Is that one of those pre-paid scams? Are you a sales person or
MLM rep for them? Why do pre-paid when you get a regular long
distance plan from someone like PowerNet Global, and only pay
for what you actually use? Any why pay monthly charges and up
front fees when other companies don't charge them?

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
NotMe

"John A. Weeks III"

| I have been reading a lot on this board about long-distance service and
| doing my own research by going to companies' websites. I have decided
that
| I might give OneSuite a try. I just wanted to try one more time before
| jumping off the cliff. Has anyone here tried OneSuite and if you have
what
| did you think?
| Annie
|
| Is that one of those pre-paid scams? Are you a sales person or
| MLM rep for them? Why do pre-paid when you get a regular long
| distance plan from someone like PowerNet Global, and only pay
| for what you actually use? Any why pay monthly charges and up
| front fees when other companies don't charge them?

No MLM unless you count the 20 min spiff which amounts to about 60 cents to
both parties if a reference code is used. (see previous post for the link)

No monthly charges. Aside from the metered rate there is a $0.55 set up
charge for using a pay phone and that only applies to the initial
connection. Once connected you can make as may calls as you like for the
one set up charge so long as you don't break the initial connection.

I don't know their business plan but from the end user's POV $0.029/ min is
hard to match much less beat. If for example you still have air time on the
account and have not added time in 6 months the system will go inactive but
can be reactivated with a phone call. Ergo not really necessary to put in
more money.

Interesting aside we have cell phones with a goodly number based in the 504
exchange (new Orleans) and those were unable to make or receive calls as the
MTSOs were under water. Ditto for phone company calling cards and even
operateor assisted calls charge to any 504 phone. The ONLY thing that *did*
work consistantly was the onesuite system via their 800 numbers.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

John A. Weeks III wrote:
Is that one of those pre-paid scams? Are you a sales person or
MLM rep for them? Why do pre-paid when you get a regular long
distance plan from someone like PowerNet Global, and only pay
for what you actually use? Any why pay monthly charges and up
front fees when other companies don't charge them?

It's not a scam. You prepay and then you use it up at 2.5 cents per minute.
There are no monthly fees. I used Onesuite for the last couple of years and
actually canceled my long distance carrier with BellSouth. BellSouth finally
offered me unlimited local and long distance for essentially what I was paying
anyway, so I went back to them. I still have a Onesuite account and use it
when I'm away from home.

My father uses it (he's the one who got me started with them) and I also have an
aunt in NYC who uses it. All with good results. I can count on two fingers the
number of times I wasn't able to get through to the local access number the
first time I tried.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

chula

We used them for awhile. Some calls have great sound quality, some
sound like you are talking from the bottom of a metal garbage can, and
some there is such a big delay that you invariably end up talking all
over eachother and nothing makes sense.

So far, we are using Power Net Global and happy with it. We just
haven't found anything really good out there yet.

chula

SMS

John A. Weeks III wrote:

Is that one of those pre-paid scams? Are you a sales person or
MLM rep for them? Why do pre-paid when you get a regular long
distance plan from someone like PowerNet Global, and only pay
for what you actually use? Any why pay monthly charges and up
front fees when other companies don't charge them?

PowerNet is much more expensive than OneSuite, more than 2x the price
per minute. OneSuite is definitely not a scam. There are no monthly
charges. The only downside I've found with OneSuite is that I'm building
up too many minutes because I can't use up $10 worth of minutes every
six months, when each minute is only 1.9 cents. I use my cell phone,
off-peak, for most LD calling.

I like OneSuite because it is very convenient to use, with no need for a
PIN, and speed dial numbers that you can program on-line. For most of my
calls, I only have to press four keys to make a call (one key to dial
the access number, then three keys for the speed dial (one of which is
the # key at the end).

I don't do referrals for OneSuite, and OneSuite doesn't do MLM. They
give you some sort of credit for referrals, but it's not worth the
trouble, IMO.
Logan Shaw

chula wrote:
We used them for awhile. Some calls have great sound quality, some
sound like you are talking from the bottom of a metal garbage can, and
some there is such a big delay that you invariably end up talking all
over eachother and nothing makes sense.

So, in other words, they are most likely doing voice over IP, which is
how they're able to sell it so cheaply, right?

- Logan
doubter

Annie wrote:

I have been reading a lot on this board about long-distance service and
doing my own research by going to companies' websites. I have decided that
I might give OneSuite a try. I just wanted to try one more time before
jumping off the cliff. Has anyone here tried OneSuite and if you have what
did you think?
Annie

Is that one of those pre-paid scams? Are you a sales person or
MLM rep for them? Why do pre-paid when you get a regular long
distance plan from someone like PowerNet Global, and only pay
for what you actually use? Any why pay monthly charges and up
front fees when other companies don't charge them?

One reason not to use PowerNet is that web site is absolutely useless.
Since they don't cite their rates, there is no way to comparison shop.
They may be a good choice, but I'm not going to use any company that makes
you call or send an email to get the cost of a call. Of course this gives
them a chance to make a hard sell. No thanks, there are too many places
that are afraid to cite there rates.

BTW, OneSuite is a prepaid service, but has no add on fees of any type: no
"monthly charges" nor "up front fees.". If you aren't going to make $10
worth of calls in 6 months I would agree that OneSuite is not a good
choice. If you make $30 to $50 of calls in a month, it makes little
difference if they are paid for this month or next.

It is interesting that you accuse the OP of being an MLM rep for a company
that isn't a MLM company, nor does it use agents, then YOU cite a company
that has an AGENT LOGIN on its home page. Who's the shill in this
conversation?

Logan Shaw

doubter wrote:
BTW, OneSuite is a prepaid service, but has no add on fees of any type: no
"monthly charges" nor "up front fees.". If you aren't going to make $10
worth of calls in 6 months I would agree that OneSuite is not a good
choice. If you make $30 to $50 of calls in a month, it makes little
difference if they are paid for this month or next.

If you really make that many calls, it might be worth getting one of
those unlimited long distance plans. They're typically only $50/month
including local service.

- Logan
David L

Powernet Global has some excellent products and prices depending on
what state one is in. Some people don't want to dial an access number
even if it saves them a bunch of money. Some Telco operations have a
much better agent program than others. Some of the agent programs are
fair and equitable to each party, where some are not. A good agent, no
matter what kind of service you want, can be an asset, believe it or
not. Every money making business has some kind of promotional plan.
Where Onesuite may be word of mouth and use of access numbers.
Generally, I've found the cheapest services, like Big Zoo(GONE)
Onesuite, Pincity to have the most call problems, but then I'll take
the occasional glitch to ATT prices or the iffy call quality of early
or poorly implemented VOIP, which has been getting better. So much
better, all the big Telcos are getting involved. Mostly to avoid the
heavy taxation involved with traditional telephone service. Getting
into data transport circumvents lots of taxes.

A big family or business, who calls LD allot, would be served well by
the flat monthly fee unlimited LD plans, but for the infrequent LD
user, that can be a big fixed cost, wether it gets used or not.

I used Onesuite for a couple of years in California and got a lot of
call quality problems, so I dropped them.
It appears now they have lots of local access numbers, so that 800
number won't get jammed up.
Currently use Pincity, but they run out of capacity for many local
access numbers at peak times
Ready to try Onesuite again.

-
Dave

Karen in MN

"Annie" wrote in message
I have been reading a lot on this board about long-distance service and
doing my own research by going to companies' websites. I have decided that
I might give OneSuite a try. I just wanted to try one more time before
jumping off the cliff. Has anyone here tried OneSuite and if you have what
did you think?
Annie

I tried OneSuite after BigZoo closed. I used it for a month, hated it. The
connection was always terrible.

NotMe

"Karen in MN"

| I have been reading a lot on this board about long-distance service and
| doing my own research by going to companies' websites. I have decided
that
| I might give OneSuite a try. I just wanted to try one more time before
| jumping off the cliff. Has anyone here tried OneSuite and if you have
what
| did you think?
| Annie
|
| I tried OneSuite after BigZoo closed. I used it for a month, hated it.
The
| connection was always terrible.

We use onesuite from all over the country. In those cases where a given
location had a problem we sent onesuite a trouble report with the date,
approximate time, access number used and both the calling and called number.
Typically what ever the problem was went away in a day or so.

Leigh Menconi

"Logan Shaw" wrote in message
doubter wrote:
BTW, OneSuite is a prepaid service, but has no add on fees of any type:
no
"monthly charges" nor "up front fees.". If you aren't going to make $10
worth of calls in 6 months I would agree that OneSuite is not a good
choice. If you make $30 to $50 of calls in a month, it makes little
difference if they are paid for this month or next.

If you really make that many calls, it might be worth getting one of
those unlimited long distance plans. They're typically only $50/month
including local service.

- Logan

I got a call last week offering a package deal with long distance from out
local phone services and calcuated that I would have to spend over half an
hour a day on long distance to make it worth switching to a package deal.
At 2.9c/min (there's not a local access number in our area, just the 800#),
I'd have to talk 759 minutes to breakeven.

Since the only time I use Onesuite is when my husband has the cellphone with
him (or is already on it long distance), our long distance bills are
negligible, maybe $1.00 a month.

Leigh

George Grapman

Logan Shaw wrote:
doubter wrote:
BTW, OneSuite is a prepaid service, but has no add on fees of any
type: no
"monthly charges" nor "up front fees.". If you aren't going to make $10
worth of calls in 6 months I would agree that OneSuite is not a good
choice. If you make $30 to $50 of calls in a month, it makes little
difference if they are paid for this month or next.

If you really make that many calls, it might be worth getting one of
those unlimited long distance plans. They're typically only $50/month
including local service.

- Logan

I have mentioned it before but I have IDT for $35 a month ($51 after
all the taxes) Unlimited toll and LD calls, Caller ID, 3 way and all
the other services.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell
doubter

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:48:26 GMT, Logan Shaw
wrote:

doubter wrote:
BTW, OneSuite is a prepaid service, but has no add on fees of any type: no
"monthly charges" nor "up front fees.". If you aren't going to make $10
worth of calls in 6 months I would agree that OneSuite is not a good
choice. If you make $30 to $50 of calls in a month, it makes little
difference if they are paid for this month or next.

If you really make that many calls, it might be worth getting one of
those unlimited long distance plans. They're typically only $50/month
including local service.

- Logan

I haven't found a flat rate plan for international calls.

I like OneSuite.
Incredibly low long distance phone rates. As low as USA-Canada 1.9CPM!
Works as prepaid phone card. PIN not needed for calls from home or cell
phone. Compare the rates at https://www.OneSuite.com/ No monthly fee or
minimum. Use Promotion/SuiteTreat Code: FREEoffer23 for FREE time.
Altho from USA payphones there is a surcharge, there is NONE from
Canadian payphones.

NotMe

wrote in message
oups.com...
| I like OneSuite.
| Incredibly low long distance phone rates. As low as USA-Canada 1.9CPM!

1.9 CPM or 2.9CPM?

Technology works

It all depends where you call. There is a company opening shortly that puts
all the service together. What do you pay for your local phone company?
Maybe $25/month plus features? For $29.95 per month you can trash your
local company and get unlimited long distance and features to anywhere in
Canada the US and 20 other countries. All you need is high speed Internet.
You can still use all your phones and keep your number. To me that's the
cheapest long distance. When you deduct what you are paying your local
company, whatever is left (in the example above) would be $4.95 for
unlimited calling. You can't get cheaper than that. The link is below:
It opens in early October.

www.igonet.net/freedom4u
"Annie" wrote in message
I have been reading a lot on this board about long-distance service and
doing my own research by going to companies' websites. I have decided that
I might give OneSuite a try. I just wanted to try one more time before
jumping off the cliff. Has anyone here tried OneSuite and if you have what
did you think?
Annie

Steve Pope

NotMe wrote:

No monthly charges. Aside from the metered rate there is a
$0.55 set up charge for using a pay phone and that only applies
to the initial connection. Once connected you can make as
may calls as you like for the one set up charge so long as you
don't break the initial connection.

I'm not sure such a scheme complies with regulations.
Although some phone cards work in this fashion.

Steve
John A. Weeks III

In article ,
"Technology works" wrote:

It all depends where you call. There is a company opening shortly that puts
all the service together. What do you pay for your local phone company?
Maybe $25/month plus features? For $29.95 per month you can trash your
local company and get unlimited long distance and features to anywhere in
Canada the US and 20 other countries. All you need is high speed Internet.
You can still use all your phones and keep your number. To me that's the
cheapest long distance.

I think you are talking about Vonage. They have a plan now for
$14.95 a month. The number of minutes is limited to something
like 500 or 1500, but that is far more than what I use.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

John A. Weeks III wrote:
It all depends where you call. There is a company opening shortly that puts
all the service together. What do you pay for your local phone company?
Maybe $25/month plus features? For $29.95 per month you can trash your
local company and get unlimited long distance and features to anywhere in
Canada the US and 20 other countries. All you need is high speed Internet.
You can still use all your phones and keep your number. To me that's the
cheapest long distance.

I think you are talking about Vonage. They have a plan now for
$14.95 a month. The number of minutes is limited to something
like 500 or 1500, but that is far more than what I use.

You have to remember you tend to get what you pay for. I considered Vonage (and
similar services) but decided against it due to the reliability problems. If I
lose my internet connection: no phone. If the power dies, no phone. If the
modem dies, no phone. No thanks.

BellSouth isn't anywhere near the cheapest, but I pay $39.95 for unlimited local
and long distance, call waiting, call forwarding, etc. And the phone service
has always worked... even after Hurricane Hugo, when the power was out here for
10 days.

I still use Onesuite when I'm away from the house.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

TKM

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
In article ,
"Technology works" wrote:

It all depends where you call. There is a company opening shortly that
puts
all the service together. What do you pay for your local phone company?
Maybe $25/month plus features? For $29.95 per month you can trash your
local company and get unlimited long distance and features to anywhere in
Canada the US and 20 other countries. All you need is high speed
Internet.
You can still use all your phones and keep your number. To me that's the
cheapest long distance.

I think you are talking about Vonage. They have a plan now for
$14.95 a month. The number of minutes is limited to something
like 500 or 1500, but that is far more than what I use.

-john-

What about audio quality of VOIP? I've tried a couple of discount
long-distrance services and the sound quality was very poor.

TKM

Technology works

"Technology works" wrote:

It all depends where you call. There is a company opening shortly that
puts
all the service together. What do you pay for your local phone company?
Maybe $25/month plus features? For $29.95 per month you can trash your
local company and get unlimited long distance and features to anywhere in
Canada the US and 20 other countries. All you need is high speed
Internet.
You can still use all your phones and keep your number. To me that's the
cheapest long distance.

I think you are talking about Vonage. They have a plan now for
$14.95 a month. The number of minutes is limited to something
like 500 or 1500, but that is far more than what I use.

-john-

The company I'm talking about is actually called Igonet. They are only new
and opening in early October. They are cheaper than Vonage and the calls
are unlimited - no limits. For me, it worked out because I spend more than
$29.95 between my local and long distance, plus you get every extra
imaginable like call waiting etc... So I figure even if I don't call that
much - I still save money. The VOIP service is very clear - just as good as
regular service. Yes, the only catch is no power - no phone. But that has
rarely been an issue where I am and after all, most people have a cell phone
if something like that happens.
www.igonet.net/freedom4u
Richard

George Grapman

Steve Pope wrote:
NotMe wrote:

No monthly charges. Aside from the metered rate there is a
$0.55 set up charge for using a pay phone and that only applies
to the initial connection. Once connected you can make as
may calls as you like for the one set up charge so long as you
don't break the initial connection.

I'm not sure such a scheme complies with regulations.
Although some phone cards work in this fashion.

Steve

There is an FCC mandated 49 cent charge for calls from pay phones to
800 numbers that is supposed to be remitted to the owner of the pay
phone. Many cards charge a higher amount and pocket the difference.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell
David L

I know Verizon for instance and many other responsible Cellcos have
batteries and propane powered backup generators for their cell towers.
I don't know exactly how long they can generate power during an outage,
but it would take quite a large propane tank, or lots of expensive
batteries to last for 2 weeks. Propane is a good fuel choice for long
term storage. IIRC, thought is was something like 24 or 72 hours tops
for the tower equipment propane generator.

I'm real curious thow he Cell companies are ensuring extended backup
power, with the new attention to communications during disasters? VZW
from anecdotal tales, seems to hold up very well during power outages.

Anyone using Vonage on a basic speed DSL plan? Would the increased
speed of a cable modem or faster DSL plan make the voice quality of
Vonage any better?
I can't stand poor voice quality. It seems in this age of high
compression codecs quality is getting sacrificed for quantity.
I'd rather pay a slight premium and get the full range and details of
the person's voice to whom I'm speaking, during personal calls. It's
hard to beat a good old landline for voice quality.

-
Dave

I like OneSuite.
Incredibly low long distance phone rates. As low as USA-Canada 1.9CPM!

1.9 CPM or 2.9CPM?

AS LOW AS 1.9CPM
AS HIGH as I think several dollars per minure thru Imarsat or Iridium.

To Canada using local access # it is 1.9CPM

Technology works

wrote:

doubter wrote:
BTW, OneSuite is a prepaid service, but has no add on fees of any type:
no
"monthly charges" nor "up front fees.". If you aren't going to make $10
worth of calls in 6 months I would agree that OneSuite is not a good
choice. If you make $30 to $50 of calls in a month, it makes little
difference if they are paid for this month or next.

If you really make that many calls, it might be worth getting one of
those unlimited long distance plans. They're typically only $50/month
including local service.

- Logan

I haven't found a flat rate plan for international calls.

Igonet gives you a flat rate to 20 + countries around the world. They are
opening around the middle of October. If you have high speed cable, you can
even get rid of your local company. For local calling and unlimited calling
to 20 countries is only $29.95. The other countries are priced quite
inexpensively.
www.igonet.net/freedom4u

doubter

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 13:49:52 -0400, "Technology works"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

doubter wrote:
[...]

www.igonet.net/xxxxxxxx

How about a legit company link without a "referral link." I'm not
interested in MLM companies. ESPECIALLY when they are not identified as
such in a self serving post. (Why is it all MLM pushers hide either what
their company is selling or the fact that it is an MLM outfit?)

doubter wrote:

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 13:49:52 -0400, "Technology works"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

doubter wrote:
[...]

For the same reason that proselytizers don't mention tithing until
they have you convinced about the "one true faith?"
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

doubter wrote:

How about a legit company link without a "referral link."

http://www.pioneertelephone.com/index.asp

No minimum fee, no plan, just basic LD @ .03/minute. Though they seem to have
removed the marketing material from their web site in an attempt to cut down on
sign up calls right now. Seems that Katrina restoration calls have overloaded
their customer service capability.

doubter

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 17:48:05 -0600, "Clark W. Griswold, Jr."
wrote:

doubter wrote:

How about a legit company link without a "referral link."

http://www.pioneertelephone.com/index.asp

No minimum fee, no plan, just basic LD @ .03/minute. Though they seem to have
removed the marketing material from their web site in an attempt to cut down on
sign up calls right now. Seems that Katrina restoration calls have overloaded
their customer service capability.

They offer flat rate international calling? (That's what this part of the
thread was about.)

Bob Ward

wrote:

doubter wrote:

How about a legit company link without a "referral link."

http://www.pioneertelephone.com/index.asp

No minimum fee, no plan, just basic LD @ .03/minute. Though they seem to have
removed the marketing material from their web site in an attempt to cut down on
sign up calls right now. Seems that Katrina restoration calls have overloaded
their customer service capability.

They offer flat rate international calling? (That's what this part of the
thread was about.)

Broadvoice VOIP does...