Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Bill

Default Emergency money saving tips!

Many people are in a *very* tight fix financially with these high gasoline
prices. Here are some ways to cut expenses. Some of these things are not
pretty, but if you want to survive, might just need to do some of these
things.

How to lower your standard of living 101...

1. What are your most important priorities?
Examples:
-Water.
-Food.
-Shelter.
(Along with the things you need to obtain these like: Job, transportation
to job, etc.)

2. What are your *least* important priorities?
Examples:
-Going to movies. Don't go.
-Unnecessary driving . Make a list, buy a months worth of what you need -
make one trip. Carpool to work. Ride bike, walk.
-Eating at restaurants including fast food. Eat at home instead.
-Buying name brand products. Buy in bulk or generic.
-Cable or satellite TV. Have it disconnected.
-Phone or cell phone. Have it disconnected.
-Trash collection. Discontinue service, take your trash to dump or transfer
station yourself.
-Bath/shower. Several people use same bath water, or take shower every
other day, or not on weekends (an electric water heater can equal 30% of
your electric bill).
-Heating or cooling whole house. Get window A/C and cool just one room -
Electric space heater and heat just one room. Close off unused rooms.

3. What can you do to reduce your monthly expenses?
-Refinance mortgage at lower interest rate.
-Get higher deductible on insurance which will lower rates. Shop around for
best rates.
-Get 2nd mortgage on home - pay off credit cards and cancel them (saves on
interest charges).
-Get roommate to share expenses.
-Install "Energy Star" double/triple pane gas filled windows.
-Install heavy curtains.
-Add more insulation to your home, especially attic.
-Get new "Energy Star" appliances which save on electricity and/or hot
water like: air conditioning, heating, refrigerator, dishwasher, and
washing machine.
-Get used high MPG car. List here...
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byMPG.htm
-Other energy saving tips... http://www.energystar.gov
-Group on this subject: misc.consumers.frugal-living

More...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ng&btnG=Search

You really need to take these suggestions a step further.
Movies? I can go 15 minutes in one direction and pay almost $10 per
person, or I can go 10 in the opposite and pay $2 per person, guess
where I go. I haven't rented a movie since I found out that the Library
rents them for free for 7 days.
Driving? buy an electric scooter, I love the bike thing.
I much agree with the resturant comment, I feed my family for as little
as .30 per serving.
Generic brands: if you don't like it you wont' eat or use it, this will
require experimenting.
Cable TV: Read a book, but borrow the book from a nieghbor, (gas
money)
Phone: don't disconnect, emergencies happen, just learn to use it.
Trash: it would cost me more in gas to take my trash to the dump,
however, you may be able to share with a nieghbor.
Shower: spend $3 on a shut off for the shower head, You turn it on to
get wet, off to soap up, on to rinse off and you will use less then a
1/3rd of normal use.
Electric H/W Get a insulating blanket,, and a timer. saves a bundle.
Window A/C: To each his own. I wouldn't

More to come

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bill" wrote in message

-Phone or cell phone. Have it disconnected.

Careful here. Minimal phone is OK but what if the house is on fire or your
mate has a heart attack? I'd like to be connected with basic phone service.
There is frugal and there is stupid.

Also, if you are cutting cost because you are out of work, the prospective
employer needs to call you too.

-Trash collection. Discontinue service, take your trash to dump or
transfer
station yourself.

Maybe. We can put a bag of trash out for a dollar. A trip to the dump at
today's gas prices is probably $2. Of course either of these is cheaper
than the $300 for "subscription service" weekly pickup. This all varies
with each town, of course.

Electric space heater and heat just one room. Close off unused rooms.

I can heat my house with oil for less than the cost of electric to heat one
room. This will vary according to location. Check it out. Keep all rooms
above freezing as hte damage will be more than the potential fuel savings.

Gordon Burditt

Many people are in a *very* tight fix financially with these high gasoline
prices. Here are some ways to cut expenses. Some of these things are not
pretty, but if you want to survive, might just need to do some of these
things.

-Trash collection. Discontinue service, take your trash to dump or transfer
station yourself.

In many cities, you *CANNOT* discontinue trash collection. Not
even if your property is now an empty lot. Or always has been an
empty lot. In Texas in the late 1970's, my area was annexed by the
city of Houston (has Houston annexed all of Mexico yet?). Some
nearby neighborhoods ended up with duplicate trash collection
services, which they could not avoid paying for for SEVERAL YEARS.
And worse, there were two collections on Tuesday from different
companies, which they were paying for.

-Install "Energy Star" double/triple pane gas filled windows.

This tends to cost a lot up front, and it may take years to recoup
your cost.

-Add more insulation to your home, especially attic.

This tends to cost a lot up front, and it may take years to recoup
your cost.

-Get new "Energy Star" appliances which save on electricity and/or hot
water like: air conditioning, heating, refrigerator, dishwasher, and
washing machine.

This tends to cost a lot up front, and it may take years to recoup
your cost. Of course, if you have to buy a new one anyway because
the old one is under water, this is a good idea.

Gordon L. Burditt
Stormin Mormon

I know folks who would assasinate anyone who disconnected the cable.
However, I'll tweak your list.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

-Bath. A shower uses much less water. If you want to test this at home, take
a shower with the plug closed in the tub. You can shower in only a couple
inches of water. Several people use same bath water, or take shower every
other day, or not on weekends (an electric water heater can equal 30% of
your electric bill).
-Heating or cooling whole house. Get window A/C and cool just one room. Or,
use an electric space heater and heat just one room. Close off unused rooms.
For those comfortable with such, kerosene heaters can save you money.

3. What can you do to reduce your monthly expenses?
-Refinance mortgage at lower interest rate.
-Get higher deductible on insurance which will lower rates. Shop around for
best rates.
-Get 2nd mortgage on home - pay off credit cards and cancel them (saves on
interest charges).
-Get roommate to share expenses.
-Install "Energy Star" double/triple pane gas filled windows.
-Install heavy curtains.
-Add more insulation to your home, especially attic.
-Get new "Energy Star" appliances which save on electricity and/or hot
water like: air conditioning, heating, refrigerator, dishwasher, and
washing machine.
-Get used high MPG car. List here...
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byMPG.htm
-Other energy saving tips... http://www.energystar.gov
-Group on this subject: misc.consumers.frugal-living

Duane Bozarth

Gordon Burditt wrote:

-Add more insulation to your home, especially attic.

This tends to cost a lot up front, and it may take years to recoup
your cost.

This actually tends to not be particularly expensive and is one of the
most cost-effective measures available for a very large number of
homes...
World Traveler

"Gordon Burditt" wrote in message

[snip]

-Install "Energy Star" double/triple pane gas filled windows.

This tends to cost a lot up front, and it may take years to recoup
your cost.

[snip]

Depends on your location. In the deep South or anyplace without a true
winter season, double or triple pane windows are unnecessary -- in fact, a
waste of money. Double pane windows are good insulation across a
temperature differential. In the north you may have a 50 - 60 degree
differential, for days on end. In the South, even in the peak summer season
the most differential you'll probably EVER see is about 15 degrees, and then
for only a portion of the day. What you really need is a window which
blocks radiation, which can be single pane, and a house design with a large
overhang to keep the windows in shade. Regards --.

KLS

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 07:40:44 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

Many people are in a *very* tight fix financially with these high gasoline
prices. Here are some ways to cut expenses. Some of these things are not
pretty, but if you want to survive, might just need to do some of these
things.

How to lower your standard of living 101...

[cut]
2. What are your *least* important priorities?
Examples:

[cut]
-Phone or cell phone. Have it disconnected.

And how would you reach 911 emergency services if you have no
telephone service?

I have the cheapest landline I can get, solely for the ability to dial
911 in case of emergency.
The Etobian

wrote:

Many people are in a *very* tight fix financially with these high gasoline
prices. Here are some ways to cut expenses. Some of these things are not
pretty, but if you want to survive, might just need to do some of these
things.

How to lower your standard of living 101...

[cut]
2. What are your *least* important priorities?
Examples:

[cut]
-Phone or cell phone. Have it disconnected.

And how would you reach 911 emergency services if you have no
telephone service?

I have the cheapest landline I can get, solely for the ability to dial
911 in case of emergency.

Aren't all phone lines, even those with no paid service, supposed to
be usable for 911?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Andy Simms" wrote in message

The payback period for improved insulation in most houses is years, not
months.

Used to be a short time, but as newer homes are insulted well from the
beginning, adding more is not very effective. If you have a 100 year old
home that still has not been insulated, sure, it will be a huge savings.

hey.. any disconnected Cell phone NEEDS to provide 911 service.. only
thing is make sure they can find u easily.. my phone does allow my
location to be disclosed using triangulation or some technique..

http://www.cherokeecounty-911.com/ce...%20&%20911.htm

wow, golden advice..
for hot places... blocking out the radiation seems to work wonders...
never thought about that from that angle.. its radiation and not
CONDUCTION which is an issue for the south..

Lil' Dave

"World Traveler" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Don't know where you got the 15 degree thing. A few days ago it was 105F
midafternoon, 69F at dawn next day. Indian autumns here may have the 15
degree range, and only if it rains all day.

UV and infrared blocking is easily done on 3 pane gas-filled windows.
There's even stick on films for those already installed without. Trees, a
minimum distance away from the house for disaster felling concerns, can
provide natural shading in a.m./p.m for east/west windows..

A house with an extensive overhang is asking to be pulled off in heavy wind
conditions. A full wraparound porch, or half wrap that faces the south, is
smarter. 12" overhang / soffit is enough.

Bill

Money wise, the way I look at "high cost" energy saving things is over the
long term... Best to do it now rather than wait.

-The cost for making the upgrade or modification will be much higher years
from now.
-The cost of energy will be much higher years from now.
-If I do it now, I can start saving on reduced energy costs beginning this
year, so the total savings over the period of my life will be greater.
(Assuming I will live in the same house for the rest of my life.)
-Once the upgrade is paid for, I will have a lower monthly cost of living.

So if I can swing it financially, I will tend to do things *now* rather
than wait, like installing Energy Star windows, adding more insulation,
buying a more efficient A/C unit, or buying a new Energy Star appliance.

I am flat broke for a few years paying for these things, but then due to
the savings, I am able to pay for them sooner.

Also I really like it when my neighbors tell me their heating cost is $400
a month and I know my heating cost is only $50 a month!

World Traveler

"Lil' Dave" wrote in message
nk.net...

[snip]

UV and infrared blocking is easily done on 3 pane gas-filled windows.
There's even stick on films for those already installed without. Trees, a
minimum distance away from the house for disaster felling concerns, can
provide natural shading in a.m./p.m for east/west windows..

[snip]

If you don't have a cold-wx problem you don't need to spend the money on
3-pane windows. You need the radiation protection, not the insulation
value, and your comments are consistent with that position. Regards --

Tony Sivori

[follow up set to misc.consumers]
willshak wrote:
If the OP had followed his own advice and disconnected his phone and
cable, how could he have posted his energy saving list here?

Public access point, for instance a library?

Or maybe he did what I did.

Last year I canceled my land line phone ($40 per month with caller ID and
unlisted number), my dial up Internet ($20 per month, through my phone
company), and my cable TV ($45 per month with no premium channels).

Now I have my cell phone only and I added cable Internet access for $45
per month which compared to my earlier expenses saves $60 per month and
gives me the broadband that I'd been wanting for years.

--
Tony Sivori

Dumbo

Bill wrote:
Many people are in a *very* tight fix financially with these high gasoline
prices. Here are some ways to cut expenses. Some of these things are not
pretty, but if you want to survive, might just need to do some of these
things.

How to lower your standard of living 101...

You forgot poland? sorry I mean you forgot the most important advice:

"buy gasoline only if you need it"

Hey, comes from the highest authority, our commander in th. ehm chief...

Jeff

A great way to save on your phone bill is VOIP
I was spending $70-100 a month (local & long distance) for a land line, but
with vonage its $25 and that includes all long distance.

Jeff

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Even better is VOIP sunrocket.com have been using them for 6 months
now.. average outage is 1-2 hours a month.... it is 200 flat for a year
i.e 16.66 $ per month.. ALL INCLUSIVE... plus u get a free cordless
with an addl handset.. plus each month 3$ free international calling..
and prettygood rates international.

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Bob Ward

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 12:23:22 -0400, "Jeff"
wrote:

A great way to save on your phone bill is VOIP
I was spending $70-100 a month (local & long distance) for a land line, but
with vonage its $25 and that includes all long distance.

Jeff

www.broadvoice.com is $19.95 per month with Unlimited World (including
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, China, Denmark, France,
Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Spain,
Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, UK, U.S. and Vatican City.

For $24.95 per month you can add Argentina, Brazil, Czech Republic,
Finland, Greece, Israel, Japanm, Luxomburg, Malasia, New Zeeland,
Poland, Portugal, San Marino, and South Korea,