Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Mark

Default material similar to plastic chair mats to cover all carpet in my living room

I want to cover all carpet in the apartment with something like "chair
mat". material.

Reason for that is that carpets accumulate a lot of dust and dust is
bad for asthma. The vacuuming does not help too much because it blows
the dust around the apartment, and this is exactly what makes asthma
real bad.

Anyway, option to replace a floor with wood or even linoleum does not
work because landlord does not allow alterations.

Plastic "chair mat" seems to be almost the right solution.
But the problem is that one plastic mat is very expensive. And I need a
lot.

Another problem, it will be real ugly.
Where can I find big sheets made from the same material?
How can I find a manufacturer of the material and buy it from them?
Can the regular consumer buy from the manufacturer?

Thanks.

subject: material similar to plastic chair mats to cover all carpet in
my living room

Userb3

"Mark" wrote in news:1124200818.432045.26240
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Reason for that is that carpets accumulate a lot of dust and dust is
bad for asthma. The vacuuming does not help too much because it blows
the dust around the apartment, and this is exactly what makes asthma
real bad.

A good air filter woud be a better investment.

--

http://www.gopchoice.org/
Jonathan Kamens

It seems to me that there may be less expensive solutions than
covering your entire floor with rigid, durable plastic.

You could run an air purifier in the apartment. I don't mean
something bogus like the Ionic Breeze that doesn't actually do
anything, I'm talking a real, HEPA air purifier that'll make a
difference in the quality of the air in your apartment.
Consumer Reports has reviewed air purifiers, so there is data
available on which ones do a better and worse job of cleaning
air.

As for the vacuum kicking up dust, you need to get a good
HEPA vacuum to solve that problem. I believe Consumer
Reports has reviewed those as well. There's also a ton of
information about HEPA air purifiers and vacuum cleaners on
the Web.
Mark

thanks,
Do you also happen to have similar "asthma problem" and have tried it?
Or it is just a logical suggestion?

Userb3

"Mark" wrote in news:1124203015.236198.75410
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

thanks,
Do you also happen to have similar "asthma problem" and have tried it?
Or it is just a logical suggestion?

Just a logical suggestion, no asthma here. But I do use a Hamilton Beach
air filter in my office, and it has cut the dust, cat hair, and
miscellaneous floating stuff down dramatically.

Good luck.

--

http://www.gopchoice.org/

WhosIt

Jonathan Kamens wrote:
It seems to me that there may be less expensive solutions than
covering your entire floor with rigid, durable plastic.

You could run an air purifier in the apartment. I don't mean
something bogus like the Ionic Breeze that doesn't actually do
anything, I'm talking a real, HEPA air purifier that'll make a
difference in the quality of the air in your apartment.
Consumer Reports has reviewed air purifiers, so there is data
available on which ones do a better and worse job of cleaning
air.

As for the vacuum kicking up dust, you need to get a good
HEPA vacuum to solve that problem. I believe Consumer
Reports has reviewed those as well. There's also a ton of
information about HEPA air purifiers and vacuum cleaners on
the Web.

One problem with a vacuum is that sparkling clean that comes out blows
in some direction which may stir up dust. Mine is like that. It has
final stage HEPA filter but the air comes out on one side. If I'm not
careful which direction I vacuum I can watch the dog hair blowing around
on the tile.
Todd H.

"Mark" writes:
Plastic "chair mat" seems to be almost the right solution.
But the problem is that one plastic mat is very expensive. And I need a
lot.

Another problem, it will be real ugly.
Where can I find big sheets made from the same material?

Yeah, asthma and carpets are bad news from folks I know who have the
disease. Most have hardwood floors throughout their places, but
obviously when renting, you don't have the luxury of choosing your
flooring necessarily. Hardwood won't be found at affordable rents
anyway.

Have you considered a similar effect achieved from laying inexpensive
roll linoleum over your carpet? It should be cheaper than the
thickness of chair mat plastic would cost to cover your entire place,
and have the same effect of keeping the nasties down in the carpet
undisturbed. It would also look more like a home and less like a
laboratory when yer done.

The ultimate solution is another place to live that is free of the
irritants that aggravate your asthma, but until then, roll lineoleum
or the like might be your best bet if you and your doctor can't get
your tolerance of the irritants under control.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Jonathan Kamens

Be careful about putting something down over the carpet that
will act as a "vapor barrier", i.e., something that prevents
moisture from escaping. Both roll linoleum and chair mat
plastic over a large surface area are likely to do this. If
the carpet is laid over a subfloor that emits moisture, e.g.,
concrete, and the moisture can't escape into the air, the
carpet will probably be damaged by the moisture, which you
don't want, especially if it's not your carpet.
Banty

In article . com, Mark says...

thanks,
Do you also happen to have similar "asthma problem" and have tried it?
Or it is just a logical suggestion?

When I rented a carpeted townhouse and had a very allergic and asthmatic
housemate moving in, with the blessing and financing of the landlady, we:

1. Vaccummed and steam cleaned all carpets
2. Removed all draperies and sent them out for cleaning
3. Replaced the filter in the heating/air conditioning system and cleaned what
ductwork we could reach
4. Washed down all the walls once

This was on advice of the housemate's physician. It worked. Impressed the heck
out of the landlady too.

He was comfortable in the house. Even though the person who had just moved out
(me, a friend) had a cat.

Banty
Banty

Mark

thanks a lot

Userb3

WhosIt wrote in news:3meekpF163rvsU1
@individual.net:

One problem with a vacuum is that sparkling clean that comes out blows
in some direction which may stir up dust. Mine is like that. It has
final stage HEPA filter but the air comes out on one side. If I'm not
careful which direction I vacuum I can watch the dog hair blowing around
on the tile.

Have you considered getting rid of the dog? No matter what sort of
filter/cover you use, if you keep bringing irritants into the apartment,
you're going to have iritants.

--

http://www.gopchoice.org/