Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Silencing footfall noise?

Hi all,

My wife and I recently moved into an apartment after living in a house,
and we have terrible problems with footfall noise from the upstairs
neighbors. It's an older apartment and there is a constand "thud"
sound when our neighbors walk around. They never seem to sleep -- they
are walking around at 1am and get up at 4am.

I was wondering if there are "temporary" ways to help with noise
transmission -- for example, using velcro dots to attach
noise-reduction tiles to the ceiling, so they could be removed when we
move out. Does this kind of thing help? Has anyone been able to
mitigate this type of noise using similar techniques?

Thanks for any replies!

John

Al Bundy

I feel your pain John. I've been in that exact position. In an older
building like that there is little you can reasonably do. I'll be
watching the posts too. The problem has a lot to do with the way people
walk. Some renters walk around like cattle or horses with metal shoes.
Others tiptoe around with respect for other's rights. You are stuck
with the former. If you tell the neighbors they may make more noise.
If you tell the landlord, that is worse than telling the neighbors.
Learn to live with it and you will be surprised how well that works
over time.

sharon

You may have answered your own question. Noise absorption tiles may
work. They are effective in commercial applications, but do your
homework first to learn what is available in the current market. Many
are not particularly attractive, but upgraded styles are available. I
am also not sure if velcro is the answer. You may consider doing a
small sample installation first because the elephants living above may
jog them loose. It would help tremendously if they had wall-to-wall
carpeting with thick padding and/or you had a sympathetic land lord,
but alas...Good luck.

On 3 Jul 2005 05:51:30 -0700, someone wrote:

You may have answered your own question. Noise absorption tiles may
work. ..

And they may not, not much help.

The principles you need to implement are MASS and SEPARATION.

Suspending another layer would help because, if some type of soft or
indirect hangers are used, this separates the new layer from the
vibrating existing structure. But the new layer needs to be
impermeable or sound will work through gaps or cracks.

Odds are that if it cheap and easy, it won't work.

help me figure out this noise Michael Dauria Home Repair 3 April 21st 05 03:02 PM
Reducing hiss by changing op-amps ? Pooh Bear Electronics Repair 49 March 31st 05 12:50 AM
Artisan saw noise Dave W Woodworking 2 January 29th 05 03:11 PM
Makita Cordless 18V Drill - Chuck Noise Quddus UK diy 5 June 28th 04 11:09 AM
How to Adjust the Tape Path Alignment on Newer VCRs Jim Electronics Repair 24 March 15th 04 10:30 PM