Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Spr0ket

Default Sprinkler question

I just moved into a house with a sprinkler system. This will be the
first time I've owned a sprinkler system. The controller in the
basement says it is a Toro GreenKeeper.

Here's the question. When I manually turn on the sprinklers with it
set to zone A, about half of the stations pop up. When I have it set
to zone B or C and manually turn it on, nothing happens. How do I set
it so all the stations pop up on zone A?

Another issue is that I'm not even sure how many stations I have. I
thought I had found them all, but just today I found another one. Who
knows, there could me more.

Jason

Robert Morien

In article ,
Spr0ket wrote:

I just moved into a house with a sprinkler system. This will be the
first time I've owned a sprinkler system. The controller in the
basement says it is a Toro GreenKeeper.

Here's the question. When I manually turn on the sprinklers with it
set to zone A, about half of the stations pop up. When I have it set
to zone B or C and manually turn it on, nothing happens. How do I set
it so all the stations pop up on zone A?

You don't want to do that.

Another issue is that I'm not even sure how many stations I have. I
thought I had found them all, but just today I found another one. Who
knows, there could me more.

Jason

Generally a sprinkler system is designed to operate 4-6 sprinkler heads
at a time. This number is dependent on the type of heads and the water
pressure available. If you were to turn on all of the zones at one
time, the system will not distribute the water properly due to low
water pressure.

If you do not have the manual or cannot figure out the number of zones
or the number of heads, I would contact a sprinkler contractor. I am
sure that they would stop out without charging you to give you a run
through.... it could be future business for them if you should need
service down the line.

Percival P. Cassidy

On 06/27/05 11:41 am oldal4865 tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Generally a sprinkler system is designed to operate 4-6 sprinkler heads
at a time. This number is dependent on the type of heads and the water
pressure available. If you were to turn on all of the zones at one
time, the system will not distribute the water properly due to low
water pressure.

My manual warns that the electric current needed to keep "all" of the
valves open would overload and burn out the transformer in the control box.

But one valve can control a zone with many heads. Each head doesn't have
to have its own valve.

Perce

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:58:16 -0400, someone wrote:

But one valve can control a zone with many heads. Each head doesn't have
to have its own valve.

Some of the heads may just be stuck?

As for his 2nd "issue", I dunno how anybody on usenet is gonna be able
to tell him how many heads there are, where they are, and where are
the ones he doesn't know about....

"If you do not have the manual or cannot figure out the number of zones

or the number of heads, I would contact a sprinkler contractor. I am
sure that they would stop out without charging you to give you a run
through.... it could be future business for them if you should need
service down the line. "

LOL, a sprinkler company is gonna show up to someone that calls out of
the blue and figure out how many zones an unknown system has, where
they are, which ones work, which ones dont't and give lessons for free?

Rich Greenberg

In article ,
Spr0ket wrote:
I just moved into a house with a sprinkler system. This will be the
first time I've owned a sprinkler system. The controller in the
basement says it is a Toro GreenKeeper.

Here's the question. When I manually turn on the sprinklers with it
set to zone A, about half of the stations pop up. When I have it set
to zone B or C and manually turn it on, nothing happens. How do I set
it so all the stations pop up on zone A?

Look at the controller, at the connections to various wires. There
should be one pair coming from the power source (usually a wall wart on
steriods) and one wire to each zone plus a common connection which is
the return wire for all zones.

See if you can locate the zone A, B & C connections. If there are wires
on A & B and none on C, then C is unused. Check the wire on B and the
return wire from the B valve(s) to the common. One or both may be off.

If there are wires on all 3, there may be a return that is common to B &
C which may be loose.

Try the Toro web site.

http://www.toro.com/iphrase/iphrase....eeper&render=1

would be a good place to start.

Sprinkler system question - clearing the lines of water Home Repair 1 October 14th 04 01:25 PM
While finishing garage floor (question about the acid for etching) Bill Lewis Home Ownership 11 September 18th 04 10:30 PM
While finishing garage floor (question about the acid for etching) Bill Lewis Home Repair 12 September 18th 04 10:30 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 02:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 06:22 PM