Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default painting a map onto a ceiling

We've got a small (12" diameter, 10" high) cylinder-shaped
study/library in our house that we'd like to paint an Old World
Italy/Mediterranean map on the ceiling of (if not already clear, she's
Italian, which also gives some insight into why I never have much luck
arguing with her on these crazy ideas . Ideally the map would be
given a textured and aged (faux) appearance.

I was wondering if anyone could offer ideas or experience on how this
might be done? Perhaps save some neckaches by painting onto one or
more stretches of canvas then adhering these to the ceiling, then
painting/texturing over the canvas to give a seamless and aged look?
Or would it be better to paint directly onto the ceiling, e.g. base
color, then texture, then paint the map last?

**She's got quite a few artist tools that might be helpful -- lots of
unstretched canvas and an image/photo projector that could project a
map onto the ceiling to use as a guide for painting.

Lol... I guess it might be worthwhile mentioning that I'm only 6" tall.

Yep... make that 12 feet by 10 feet!

Alan Sung

It might be easier to generate the image on a computer and then take it
to a local sign shop or billboard company. They have large format
inkjet printers and then you can apply the large sheets as if they were
wall paper.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA

D. Gerasimatos

Where are you? I can put you in touch with a muralist who does this sort
of thing (for a fee, of course).

Dimitri

Bathroom Ceiling Prep for Painting Vince Home Repair 3 May 27th 05 07:55 PM
Painting popcorn ceiling Bob Home Repair 24 January 24th 05 12:57 AM
painting next to suspended ceiling grid hollywood_steve Home Repair 2 February 13th 04 10:49 AM
painting up to ceiling chris UK diy 16 December 16th 03 09:25 AM
Painting of ceiling... Marcus Fox UK diy 2 November 7th 03 07:15 PM