Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Ima Googler

Default How do you keep your fence rows clear?

We are installing a chain link fence and I'm wondering whats the best
method to prevent weeds from growing along the fence row. I realize
we could use the weed trimmer each time we mow, but there has to be an
easier way.

Is there anything to keep the weeds down so that we can just use the
mower as close as we can get? I've done some research and some people
have suggested vinegar, boiling water and things like that.

How about the salt people use in the winter for icy patches? I know it
kills vegetation almost permanently. Could I put that down in a strip
under my fence?

Thanks!

Mark

Try this (or similar). May have to cut and paste into browser address
window if clicking on it doesn't work.

http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm/event...798f7a84f4ab4e

oups.com...

On 30 May 2005 16:43:28 -0700, someone wrote:

We are installing a chain link fence and I'm wondering whats the best
method to prevent weeds from growing along the fence row.

"Roundup"???

David W.

"Ima Googler" wrote in
oups.com:

We are installing a chain link fence and I'm wondering whats the best
method to prevent weeds from growing along the fence row. I realize
we could use the weed trimmer each time we mow, but there has to be an
easier way.

Is there anything to keep the weeds down so that we can just use the
mower as close as we can get? I've done some research and some people
have suggested vinegar, boiling water and things like that.

How about the salt people use in the winter for icy patches? I know it
kills vegetation almost permanently. Could I put that down in a strip
under my fence?

When I lived in rural Texas, that's what the locals used old motor oil for.
Harry K

v wrote:
On 30 May 2005 16:43:28 -0700, someone wrote:

We are installing a chain link fence and I'm wondering whats the best
method to prevent weeds from growing along the fence row.

"Roundup"???

I did that last year. Used plywood panels to restrict the spray to a
narrow band. Nice. Not nice now. All the grass is right back this
sping and doing that job is -not- fun. Are the various versions of
things like 'grass-be-gone' any better or are they also annual affairs?

Harry K

On 31 May 2005 18:16:48 -0700, someone wrote:

I did that last year. Used plywood panels to restrict the spray to a
narrow band. Nice. Not nice now. All the grass is right back....

This is exactly what "weed whackers" were invented for.

What's the big deal, ya whack the fence line every time you mow, its
part of the job.

lenny fackler

v wrote:
On 31 May 2005 18:16:48 -0700, someone wrote:

I did that last year. Used plywood panels to restrict the spray to a
narrow band. Nice. Not nice now. All the grass is right back....

This is exactly what "weed whackers" were invented for.

What's the big deal, ya whack the fence line every time you mow, its
part of the job.

I'm lazy. I only use the weed whacker every 2 or 3 weeks. It takes
that long before the fence line starts to look bad to me.

Harry K

v wrote:
On 31 May 2005 18:16:48 -0700, someone wrote:

I did that last year. Used plywood panels to restrict the spray to a
narrow band. Nice. Not nice now. All the grass is right back....

This is exactly what "weed whackers" were invented for.

What's the big deal, ya whack the fence line every time you mow, its
part of the job.

I'll let you do it. Maybe you can demonstrate how to whack a wire
fabric fence that is tight to the ground. Trim line doesn't last long
running constantly against wire.

Harry K

lenny fackler

Harry K wrote:
v wrote:
On 31 May 2005 18:16:48 -0700, someone wrote:

I did that last year. Used plywood panels to restrict the spray to a
narrow band. Nice. Not nice now. All the grass is right back....

This is exactly what "weed whackers" were invented for.

What's the big deal, ya whack the fence line every time you mow, its
part of the job.

I'll let you do it. Maybe you can demonstrate how to whack a wire
fabric fence that is tight to the ground. Trim line doesn't last long
running constantly against wire.

Harry K

Use a little finesse. Run at low speed right up against the fence.
Weed whack gently.

Andy Hill

"Ima Googler" wrote:
We are installing a chain link fence and I'm wondering whats the best
method to prevent weeds from growing along the fence row. I realize
we could use the weed trimmer each time we mow, but there has to be an
easier way.

Is there anything to keep the weeds down so that we can just use the
mower as close as we can get? I've done some research and some people
have suggested vinegar, boiling water and things like that.

How about the salt people use in the winter for icy patches? I know it
kills vegetation almost permanently. Could I put that down in a strip
under my fence?

I've seen Comerica setups where there is a narrow strip of concrete along the
fenceline. Fairly spendy, I'm sure, but you can mow right up to the edge.

Boiling water, etc. will kill on contact, but they'll grow back in a few weeks.
Roundup will kill for a bit longer, but usually has to be reapplied every year
or so. A soil sterilant (like Triox) will be a bit more persistent, but you're
still looking at every couple of years.

Really nasty stuff (salt, motor oil) will last a bit longer, but they tend to
"creep", giving you patchy areas away from the fence.

Ima Googler

I wouldn't mind putting something down once a year or so... I just
don't want to be doing it once a month! LOL This is a really LONG
fence, so the less work the better.

So, if I used the rock salt, if it rained I guess it would cause it to
spread out into the yard? That wouldn't be a good thing!

Andy Hill

"Ima Googler" wrote:
I wouldn't mind putting something down once a year or so... I just
don't want to be doing it once a month! LOL This is a really LONG
fence, so the less work the better.

So, if I used the rock salt, if it rained I guess it would cause it to
spread out into the yard? That wouldn't be a good thing!

Yeah, rock salt tends to migrate with water. Murphy's Law says it will migrate
to your prize roses :-)

Personally, I'd give Roundup (or a generic equivalent) a try first -- it doesn't
have any soil activity, so won't migrate to nearby vegetation. If the grass
comes back too fast for your liking, then give the Triox a try (but be warned it
*will* migrate a bit, so be careful around anything you *do* want to keep).

Ima Googler

Thanks! I think I'll try that new extended roundup first. I suspect
it would be cheaper if I bought it concentrated and then mixed in one
of those sprayers. I've never used this stuff before, but I'm assuming
they have good directions on the bottle.

doubter

On 5 Jun 2005 17:35:58 -0700, "Ima Googler" wrote:

Thanks! I think I'll try that new extended roundup first. I suspect
it would be cheaper if I bought it concentrated and then mixed in one
of those sprayers. I've never used this stuff before, but I'm assuming
they have good directions on the bottle.

Not much required in the way of instructions. Yes it is cheaper to buy the
concentrate and mix it yourself. It is sold in various concentrations so
read the label for the proper dilution.

Do NOT cut the weeds before spraying. RU is absorbed into the plant so the
more foliage the plant has the better it is for applying the RU. I have
found it helps to put a drop or two of Dawn dish detergent in the sprayer
with the diluted RU. This breaks the surface tension and allows the spray
to cling better to the weeds. Lastly don't water the area where you spray
nor spray when rain is expected.