Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

3ID64AR

Default Framed "Basement" vs. Poured Wall Basement

I'm about to build a house and am trying to decide between a poured
wall all the way around or framing in 3/4 of the walls. I've convinced
myself that framing most of the basement would provide a more desirable
living area because I could put windows in the framed walls. I guess
the main questions I have is wondering if it would be cheaper to use
framing vs. concrete? thanks.

How do you frame a basement ? Do you have a walkout ?

I have heard that a continuous poured concrete job is To Be Envied in
terms of moisture control.

ameijers

"3ID64AR" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm about to build a house and am trying to decide between a poured
wall all the way around or framing in 3/4 of the walls. I've convinced
myself that framing most of the basement would provide a more desirable
living area because I could put windows in the framed walls. I guess
the main questions I have is wondering if it would be cheaper to use
framing vs. concrete? thanks.

It all depends. Are you talking just framing the parts not in contact with
dirt, or are you talking those new-fangled treated-wood foundation systems?
If the latter, be aware that finding a contractor familiar with them may be
hard, and local inspector may not know what to do with them. But since you
said '3/4 of the walls', I assume you are speaking of a hillside house. In
that case, have your contractor estimate it out both ways. Full concrete is
easier on the framers, since they can lay first floor deck right on it, and
you don't have to make special provisions for catching centerline beam.
Framed is easier to finish on interior and exterior. Nothing is stopping you
from having windows in the poured walls, but it does make the pour and the
windows more expensive, and you have to make your choices real early in the
process. You may wanna also look at precast concrete foundations, which are
easier to finish out on inside, or those giant lego-style foam blocks that
you pour full of concrete, which provide a warmer and cozier and easier to
finish inside and out than raw concrete. Lots of options, depending on your
area and climate, and how much research your contractor is willing to put in
the process. Many shy away from doing anything strange to them, out of fear
of complaints and callbacks (and reduced profits, of course- anything
'wierd' adds time, and time is money.)

aem sends...

3ID64AR

How do you frame a basement ? Do you have a walkout ?

I have heard that a continuous poured concrete job is To Be Envied in
terms of moisture control.

I've included a picture of what I'm talking about. This house is
almost identical of what I'm thinking of doing. I guess the corret
term is Walkout Basement?

http://www.winsorhomes.com/images/lcape_basement.jpg

I'm trying to figure out the pros/cons of a walkout vs. all 4 walls
being poured.

3ID64AR

This is what I'm thinking of doing.
http://www.winsorhomes.com/images/lcape_basement.jpg

I take it from your statement "Nothing is stopping you
from having windows in the poured walls, but it does make the pour and
the windows more expensive." - that poured walls are gong to be more
expensive than 3 framed walls? I'm acting as the General Contractor
and would like to do/help with as much of the work as possible to save
money and learn home construction. I figure framing will be the first
practical skill I could help in after grading and the foundation is
poured.

ameijers

"3ID64AR" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is what I'm thinking of doing.
http://www.winsorhomes.com/images/lcape_basement.jpg

I take it from your statement "Nothing is stopping you
from having windows in the poured walls, but it does make the pour and
the windows more expensive." - that poured walls are gong to be more
expensive than 3 framed walls? I'm acting as the General Contractor
and would like to do/help with as much of the work as possible to save
money and learn home construction. I figure framing will be the first
practical skill I could help in after grading and the foundation is
poured.

No, actually, I meant having a wall poured with window openings is more
expensive than a solid-wall basement. More engineering up front for layout,
more labor setting up the forms and doing the pour, need steel or a precast
lintel above the window, etc. No idea how that compares with the cost of
framing those walls- way too many variables to even take a swag at it. That
is why detailed cost estimates for houses cost money- there is a lot of
research involved. And you need detailed specs on the design before you can
start doing takeoffs and considering alternatives.

You sure you're up to acting as your own GC? No disrespect, but your
questions sound like a semester at Vo-Ed center, or volunteering for a
blitz-build with Habitat for Humanity, may be a good idea before you strike
out on your own with a major project. This is a regular topic on here-
Google 'owner builder' or 'acting as own GC', to learn some of the well
documented pitfalls. (Not the least of which is that most banks won't write
paper unless a recognized licensed GC is involved- they have to have
something to repo, and most owner-builders crash and burn before they get it
finished.)

Again, this isn't a flame- everyone has to start somewhere. My dad was a GC
for many years, and I grew up in the business, on-site as soon as I was tall
enough to hold a broom. But even if I could get out of the office job long
enough to supervise, I wouldn't try to be my own GC- I simply don't have the
local connections needed to make all the deals, juggle all the subs, etc.

aem sends...

3ID64AR

Thanks for sharing info on what you know about pouring basements.

No disrespect taken on you wondering if I'm ready to act as my own GC.
I'm about 1.5 months into my project - hope to break ground in the next
2 weeks. I've learned a lot already - picked a set of generic
bluprints that came with a Materials List, drew my own House Layout
with the setbacks and got that approved. Paid for my building permits
last week and contacted the Utilities Protection Service to locate/mark
all the underground utilites. I've found the Grader I want to use for
the lot and he's helping with some of the grey areas that I haven't
considered and he's also offering me some suggestions on what I need to
do. Learning General Contracting on the job in real time is going to
take longer and will cost more but I hope to make up a lot of that by
doing as much of the finish work, landscaping, clean up and whatever
else I can think of as the project progresses. After seeing all the
paperwork/requirements that a Lender wants before they will approve a
Construction Loan - I decided to use a Home Equity Line of Credit to
finance my Project. If building a house isn't difficult enough for an
experienced General Contractor - I'm also working a full-time job and
will have to keep everything going as best as I can in the mornings
before work, after work and during lunch/breaks.

My core plan to keep the project moving is to get 3 bids from each sub
and pick the one that not only has a fair price - but also comes across
as being helpful in helping me understand his portion of the
construction and what steps should come next.

Although this isn't the most efficient way to go about building a
house, the worst that can happen - as long as I'm properly insured, is
that I will end up paying thousands of dollars more than what an
experienced General Contractor could have built the same house for. I
feel the extra cost and time is worth it. After I finish, I think I
will be in a much better position to take on house number 2.

Thanks once again for sharing your knowledge and your comments are
welcome.