Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default PVC Pipe on a fuel tank ???

Hello and Thanks for looking at this question!

I had to move my fuel oil tank for basement repairs, and the 2"
steel fuel line pipe(8" nipple) was cut. The tank is very old and I'm
leary of twisting out the cut pieces and replacing a new nipple, mainly
because I'd have to thread the bottom in deeper than it is now to
thread it into the top elbow piece.
Anyway,,,,,Can I use somekind of PVC tubing and just slide it
over the 2 cut pipe pieces and use some special cement glue to seal it
??
Any help on the matter would be most appreciated. I'd like to
get this squared away soon so I can refill the tank while the oil
prices are lower this summer.

Thanks in advance................jesse

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello and Thanks for looking at this question!

I had to move my fuel oil tank for basement repairs, and the 2"
steel fuel line pipe(8" nipple) was cut. The tank is very old and I'm
leary of twisting out the cut pieces and replacing a new nipple, mainly
because I'd have to thread the bottom in deeper than it is now to
thread it into the top elbow piece.
Anyway,,,,,Can I use somekind of PVC tubing and just slide it
over the 2 cut pipe pieces and use some special cement glue to seal it
??
Any help on the matter would be most appreciated. I'd like to
get this squared away soon so I can refill the tank while the oil
prices are lower this summer.

Thanks in advance................jesse

no. fix it correctly by replacing the pipe.

kevin

... I'd have to thread the bottom in deeper than it is now to
thread it into the top elbow piece.

You mean, like, thread it WAY down into the one side, so it fits into
the little 8'' space available, then back it out as it threads into the
other side? If so... no. You can't do that.

No PVC either. And I'd be leery of any rubber gaskets either, unless
they are specifically designed and labeled for fuel oil.

Can't you just by a union fitting? That's the first thing I would look
at -- cheap, easy, simple, and probably up to code too, unlike the
other suggestions floating here. But don't listen to me -- go find
someone who knows fuel oil, pipe fittings, and code. Be sure to use the
right kind of goop or tape on the joints, too.

TURTLE

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello and Thanks for looking at this question!

I had to move my fuel oil tank for basement repairs, and the 2"
steel fuel line pipe(8" nipple) was cut. The tank is very old and I'm
leary of twisting out the cut pieces and replacing a new nipple, mainly
because I'd have to thread the bottom in deeper than it is now to
thread it into the top elbow piece.
Anyway,,,,,Can I use somekind of PVC tubing and just slide it
over the 2 cut pipe pieces and use some special cement glue to seal it
??
Any help on the matter would be most appreciated. I'd like to
get this squared away soon so I can refill the tank while the oil
prices are lower this summer.

Thanks in advance................jesse

This is Turtle.

You said there was a elbow fitting the short piece was screw into , well
repl;ace the elbow also and just fix all of it.

The PVC or plastic or glueing oil lines is not nice at all.

TURTLE

Harry K

TURTLE wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

25 years ago I had a similar situation. Checked with teh fuel oil
delivery people. Said PVC was fine. I installed with 2" PVC and have
had no problems/leaks since.

Harry K

Thanks to everyone who responded to my little problem. Very much
appreciated. I think I'll definately get somekind of metal fitting put
on there. I was just trying to save some $$$$$ and try to fix it
myself.
Once that tank is back in place and refilled with oil, there
ain't no goin back,,,ha,ha,,, Thanks