Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default leaking toilet, supply line or filling valve?

I just realize my toilet is leaking at the connection of supply line to
the toilet. I've replaced the supply line but it's still leaking. I
don't think is the filling valve but I'm no plumber and a first time
home owner. When I turn off the water, the leaking stop, so the water
is not coing from the filled toilet, could it be the nut where the
supply line connecting to the toilet? Any advice will be helpful.
Thanks.

John Weiss

wrote...
I just realize my toilet is leaking at the connection of supply line to
the toilet. I've replaced the supply line but it's still leaking. I
don't think is the filling valve but I'm no plumber and a first time
home owner. When I turn off the water, the leaking stop, so the water
is not coing from the filled toilet, could it be the nut where the
supply line connecting to the toilet?

There is a seal on the nut as well as a seal for the assembly to the toilet
tank. Get a replacement fill valve assembly, which should include both seals.
You may want to replace the flapper valve while you're at it. Once one seal
starts leaking, the others are likely to follow soon.

Al Bundy

Just tighten that nut a bit where the line goes into the toilet (fill
valve). Maybe you did not tighten it enough or perhaps you used the
wrong type line. They make a couple different seals for those and some
work better than others. One problem is that you can overtighten these
lines and cause a leak. And maybe the rubber seal inside the tank on
the bottom of the fill valve is distorted or broken, in which case I
would buy a new valve kit including the seal.

No

John and Al are worng - Sorry guys. Well, maybe I'm wrong and your right.
Well, anyway.

The key statement in the OP is "When I turn off the water, the leaking
stop".

That would indicate that the leak is somewhere between the washer on the
shutoff valve and the stop washer on the fill valve. My first thought was it
could be the packing nut on the shutoff valve.

Now that I re-read the OP and the other posts I think I'm probably wrong.

OK - So why can it leak at the connection from the supply line to the toilet
fill valve. Here is a thought - If you use one of those hard metal, chrome,
supply tubes. They can be a real pain to get alighned correctly. If thats
what the OP used for a replacement may I suggest one of the metal braided
flex lines with a built in washer on each end? Then no compression fittings
and less likely for leaks there. If it still leaks then its probably the
washer at the bottom of the fill valve. Or even the washer between the tank
a bowl.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just realize my toilet is leaking at the connection of supply line to
the toilet. I've replaced the supply line but it's still leaking. I
don't think is the filling valve but I'm no plumber and a first time
home owner. When I turn off the water, the leaking stop, so the water
is not coing from the filled toilet, could it be the nut where the
supply line connecting to the toilet? Any advice will be helpful.
Thanks.

I'm using the brand new flex line, I think you are right about the
washers at the location you mention, any easy way to replace those
without replacing the new fill valve?

No wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just realize my toilet is leaking at the connection of supply line

the toilet. I've replaced the supply line but it's still leaking.

don't think is the filling valve but I'm no plumber and a first

time
home owner. When I turn off the water, the leaking stop, so the

water
is not coing from the filled toilet, could it be the nut where the
supply line connecting to the toilet? Any advice will be helpful.
Thanks.

Replacing Main supply gate valve djay Home Repair 7 March 5th 05 10:52 PM
Hot water heater AND shutoff valve both leaking Steven Litvintchouk Home Repair 8 December 27th 03 03:53 AM
Generator Grounding PoP UK diy 10 November 13th 03 12:29 PM
Toilet leaking water on bathroom floor Blondie Home Repair 3 November 13th 03 01:39 AM
oil supply line to boiler. Lawrence UK diy 7 October 16th 03 09:42 AM