Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

butlercellars

Default Mortar Stained Tiles

I recently retiled our foyer with 16" tan ceramic tiles. The problem is the
thin-set mortar apparently seeped up into the tiles from the bottom and
stained many of them. I gave them several days to dry, and I even pulled one
up and thoroughly dried it, but the stains are permanent. All the tiles
discolored at least somewhat after laying them. Some look OK, but most will
have to be replaced.

I've never encountered that before. Is this this problem very common? Does
it mean the tiles are poor quality? Would it be reasonable to request the
store to give me replacement tiles?

-Bob

G Henslee

butlercellars wrote:
I recently retiled our foyer with 16" tan ceramic tiles. The problem is the
thin-set mortar apparently seeped up into the tiles from the bottom and
stained many of them. I gave them several days to dry, and I even pulled one
up and thoroughly dried it, but the stains are permanent. All the tiles
discolored at least somewhat after laying them. Some look OK, but most will
have to be replaced.

I've never encountered that before. Is this this problem very common? Does
it mean the tiles are poor quality? Would it be reasonable to request the
store to give me replacement tiles?

-Bob

What kind of tile? Possibly an unglazed product that is showing
staining from the *top* due to sponging/cleaning it as you tiled?

Let us know what the store tells you.