Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default original tile was tiled over in the 70s - how to restore?

Hi,
My house has original ceramic tile from the 1900s. Some dufus tiled
over it in the 70s or 80s with a cheap and ugly ceramic tile.

Is there a way to remove the recent tile without damaging the original
tile underneath?

thanks!
Rogue Petunia

ameijers

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
My house has original ceramic tile from the 1900s. Some dufus tiled
over it in the 70s or 80s with a cheap and ugly ceramic tile.

Is there a way to remove the recent tile without damaging the original
tile underneath?

Floor or walls?
It depends what they did to the old tile before they put the new tile
down/on, and how they stuck the new tile on. Assuming old tile is sound and
they just used thinset, it should pop off pretty easy, assuming skinny grout
lines in original floor/walls. If they abraded or etched the glaze on the
old tiles to get a good bond, it'll be harder. If they used mastic, it'll be
a mess and a buttload of scraping and solvents. I'd be real suprised if old
tile was in good shaped, however. A hillbilly tileover like that is usually
due to popped or cracked tiles, bad stains, or other problems.

aem sends...

G Henslee

ameijers wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi,
My house has original ceramic tile from the 1900s. Some dufus tiled
over it in the 70s or 80s with a cheap and ugly ceramic tile.

Is there a way to remove the recent tile without damaging the original
tile underneath?

Extremely doubtful.

Having trouble removing old ceramic tile [email protected] Home Ownership 2 January 3rd 05 04:54 PM
Tile installation estimate in line with market? ate1 Home Repair 3 October 28th 04 11:13 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Ceramic tile over ceramic tile Don Home Ownership 1 November 23rd 03 06:34 AM
Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General Ben Home Repair 8 July 18th 03 02:25 PM