Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Need to remove the deadbolt from a locked door

I just bought a forclosed home and so i got no keys for the house
except for the front door key.

I have a back door that has a deadbolt on it and is currently locked.
As you guessed it i have no key for it but i need to get it out so that
i can install a new one in its place. Any advise on how to get it out
would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you all for the quick replies. I dont think there are any screws
that are visible on the deadbolt. There seem to be two small golden
plates where the screws should have been. Would the screw be under the
plate and if so, how do i get them out? I could call a locksmith but
they are expensive. Thank you.

Once again thanks a lot for your help. I will try out your
recommendations tomorrow and let you guys know how it went.

I got it out. The plates that i was talking about turned when when you
put the key in. So as i did not have the key all i had to do was take 2
flat head screw drivers and push the plates up on one side and down on
the other and that showed me the screws. Thank you all for your help.

Ajay

Phil Munro

Andrew Koenig wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a back door that has a deadbolt on it and is currently locked.
As you guessed it i have no key for it but i need to get it out so that
i can install a new one in its place.

Can you take the pins out of the hinges? If so, you should be able to
remove the entire door.

Has anyone on this group ever actually done this? If the door is
a reasonable fit, this probably will not work. Door edges are cut at
an angle on the latch side to allow them to open without rubbing but to
still have a snug fit.
Trying to open the door at the pin side (with pins removed) does
not have the angled clearance. Also, the lock may need bending
depending on how far the bolt goes into the frame.
How do I know this? I had an inside closet door once with an old
lock that could not be unlocked. I tried this, and could not get the
(tight) door to budge. Finally I used a hack saw to cut through the
brass lock. --Phil

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555