Electronics (alt.electronics)

Convert Miniature Lamps to LED on Stereo Receiver

Old June 16th 04, 01:09 AM
canaanskier

Default Convert Miniature Lamps to LED on Stereo Receiver

Hi Everyone,

Here's the situation. I have a 20 year old amplifier made by Yamaha that
has a number of buttons on the front that are lit by 14.5 V 80mA bulbs. The
bulbs are not available any longer and I haven't been able to find suitable
replacements. My question is this: Is it possible to substitute LEDs with
a minor modification of the the source current, ie., can I go to Radio Shack
and buy something that will enable the LED to work in this situation. I'm
not sure but I suspect that the current is AC. If you have any ideas I
would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.

P.S.

If you want to reply directly please remove the x-y-z from my email address.

Old June 16th 04, 01:34 AM
vze1xj6z

In article , canaanskier@x-y-z-
prodigy.net says...
Hi Everyone,

Here's the situation. I have a 20 year old amplifier made by Yamaha that
has a number of buttons on the front that are lit by 14.5 V 80mA bulbs. The
bulbs are not available any longer and I haven't been able to find suitable
replacements. My question is this: Is it possible to substitute LEDs with
a minor modification of the the source current, ie., can I go to Radio Shack
and buy something that will enable the LED to work in this situation. I'm
not sure but I suspect that the current is AC. If you have any ideas I
would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.

P.S.

If you want to reply directly please remove the x-y-z from my email address.

a 680 or 820 ohm resistor in series with the LED should do the trick,
whether ac or not. If it's ac the "diode" will "flicker" - "thirty"
times per second.
Old June 16th 04, 02:56 PM
Al

In article ,
"canaanskier" wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Here's the situation. I have a 20 year old amplifier made by Yamaha that
has a number of buttons on the front that are lit by 14.5 V 80mA bulbs. The
bulbs are not available any longer and I haven't been able to find suitable
replacements. My question is this: Is it possible to substitute LEDs with
a minor modification of the the source current, ie., can I go to Radio Shack
and buy something that will enable the LED to work in this situation. I'm
not sure but I suspect that the current is AC. If you have any ideas I
would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.

P.S.

If you want to reply directly please remove the x-y-z from my email address.

Check out:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...=320&type=stor

They have a number of lamps available.

Al

--
There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......
Old June 26th 04, 05:17 AM
Soeren

vze1xj6z wrote in
:

If it's ac the "diode" will "flicker" - "thirty" times per second.

Nope, 60 times a second (assuming 60 Hz AC) or it's a very odd "diode"
(LED).

--
Regards,
Soeren

* If it puzzles you dear... Reverse engineer *
New forum: URL:http://www.ElektronikTeknolog.dk/cgi-bin/SPEED/