Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics
GuitarPsych

Default changing from 1.5V battery to 9V battery

I have a very simple circuit that I run an electric guitar signal
through and I'm thinking of modifying it from a 1.5 V battery to a 9V
battery. What modifications do I need to do to the circuit? (I am
obviously a beginner).
Posted to alt.electronics
JeffM

...modifying it from a 1.5 V battery to a 9V battery.
GuitarPsych

Seems like a dumb idea. A cell is much cheaper than a battery.
What advantage could there possibly be?

Posted to alt.electronics
GuitarPsych

These are reasons just off the top of my head:

1) To go through the process just to learn.

2) To standardize all my effects pedals so I only have to carry 1 type
of extra battery, therefore minimizing carrying space and weight and
minimizing the chance I will be out of the one I need.

3) The standardization will also eventually allow me to work on a
project that allows all my pedals to run on a power supply that accepts
multiple pedals. The power supply works with pedals expecting 9V. I am
unclear if it would work with pedals expecting 1.5 V... I have my
doubts, therefore the conversion project.

4) The 1 AA battery dies quickly.

JeffM wrote:
...modifying it from a 1.5 V battery to a 9V battery.
GuitarPsych

Seems like a dumb idea. A cell is much cheaper than a battery.
What advantage could there possibly be?

Posted to alt.electronics
Jasen Betts

On 2006-03-15, GuitarPsych wrote:

I have a very simple circuit that I run an electric guitar signal
through and I'm thinking of modifying it from a 1.5 V battery to a 9V
battery.

What modifications do I need to do to the circuit?

the easiest modification would be to modify the power input to reduce the
voltage to 1.5V, but all that will do is increase your battery bill.

(I am obviously a beginner).

why are you wanting to modify it?

--

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to alt.electronics
Jasen Betts

On 2006-03-16, GuitarPsych wrote:
These are reasons just off the top of my head:

1) To go through the process just to learn.

this Is a good reason

2) To standardize all my effects pedals so I only have to carry 1 type
of extra battery, therefore minimizing carrying space and weight and
minimizing the chance I will be out of the one I need.

another good reason.

3) The standardization will also eventually allow me to work on a
project that allows all my pedals to run on a power supply that accepts
multiple pedals. The power supply works with pedals expecting 9V. I am
unclear if it would work with pedals expecting 1.5 V... I have my
doubts, therefore the conversion project.

this could prove more challenging than it seems at fiirst glance
often interconnected DC powered devices can't be powered in parallel
due to them using different signal ground potentials.

4) The 1 AA battery dies quickly.

the 9V typically contains less energy and costs many times as much
it will die faster, possibly much faster.

so that's two for and two agaist.

Bye.
Jasen

Posted to alt.electronics
GuitarPsych

I'd rather not make this about a debate as to whether it's a good idea
overall. I may in fact not actually do the conversion. Regardless, I
would just like to know how to go about doing it, IF I chose to.

Posted to alt.electronics
Jasen Betts

On 2006-03-16, GuitarPsych wrote:
I'd rather not make this about a debate as to whether it's a good idea
overall. I may in fact not actually do the conversion. Regardless, I
would just like to know how to go about doing it, IF I chose to.

OK what you do is analyse the circuit and figure out how it works then
modify it to work from 9v. that or put some sort of voltage converter in
there.

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to alt.electronics
default

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:39:50 -0800, GuitarPsych wrote:

I have a very simple circuit that I run an electric guitar signal
through and I'm thinking of modifying it from a 1.5 V battery to a 9V
battery. What modifications do I need to do to the circuit? (I am
obviously a beginner).

If you plan to run your stuff on a power supply the 1.5 volt can be
met with one of the three terminal regulators to step down the voltage
from 9. I think the LM317 outputs something like 1.2 volts with no
adjustment resistors. Goggle for it and the data sheet will tell you
how to connect it and how to calculate the resistor to give the output
voltage you want.

Running it with a 9 volt battery will just waste a lot of power and
end up costing a lot more.

You could make a buck switching supply to lower the voltage
efficiently - but you're still talking about a more expensive battery
cost.

Going the other way, 1.5 to 9, makes more sense if size isn't a big
concern. Particularly if you can use D batteries.

There's a semi-obsolete IC designed to do just that - Part is the
TL496. Designed to take 1.5 or 3 volts and output 9 volts at 20-40
milliamps.

Someone was marketing a kit for the TL496 with all the parts and
circuit board to make a 9 volt battery eliminator.

Posted to alt.electronics
GuitarPsych

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, but if not, all I can do is
again ask my original question. It is a very simple circuit, 9
resistors and 4 capacitors. I'm just wondering in general what
modifications I would need to do if, on the diagram it lists a 1.5V
battery and I want to use a 9V battery. Would I raise/lower the values
of certain resistors/capacitors? Would I need to do anything?

Posted to alt.electronics
GuitarPsych

I must be asking this question in a way that is throwing people off,
because there seems to be a lot of resistance to actually answer the
question. Let me try another way:

Let's say a friend of yours is in an electronics class and given a
simple circuit design, 9 resistors and 4 capacitors, with a 1.5V battery
power supply. The assignment is to test the circuit to see if it would
function if the battery power supply were changed to 9V. How would you
suggest to your friend to do that? What would they look at in the
circuit? And if something would need to be changed, what would it be?
Raising/lowering resistor/capacitor values? Adding/subtracting
resistors/capacitors? etc.

GuitarPsych wrote:

I have a very simple circuit that I run an electric guitar signal
through and I'm thinking of modifying it from a 1.5 V battery to a 9V
battery. What modifications do I need to do to the circuit? (I am
obviously a beginner).

Posted to alt.electronics
John Fields

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:22:43 -0800, GuitarPsych
wrote:

I must be asking this question in a way that is throwing people off,
because there seems to be a lot of resistance to actually answer the
question.

---
Weird, Isn't it?

If you can post a schematic somewhere I'll give you a hand.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Posted to alt.electronics
Jasen Betts

On 2006-03-17, GuitarPsych wrote:

It is a very simple circuit, 9
resistors and 4 capacitors. I'm just wondering in general what
modifications I would need to do if, on the diagram it lists a 1.5V
battery and I want to use a 9V battery. Would I raise/lower the values
of certain resistors/capacitors? Would I need to do anything?

some,or all, of the parts may need to be changed if you want to feed the
circuit directly from 9V.

typically resistors are increased and capacitors relaced with ones designed
to handlle the higher voltages but keeping the signal path essentially the
same... without knowing how the parts are interconnected I can't guess which
ones you should change.

--

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to alt.electronics
GuitarPsych

Thank you!
It is the FZ-1A listed on this diagram.

http://www.thesortouts.org/images/MAESTRO4.GIF

wrote:

I must be asking this question in a way that is throwing people off,
because there seems to be a lot of resistance to actually answer the
question.

---
Weird, Isn't it?

If you can post a schematic somewhere I'll give you a hand.

Posted to alt.electronics
Tater Schuld

"GuitarPsych" wrote in message
. ..
I have a very simple circuit that I run an electric guitar signal through
and I'm thinking of modifying it from a 1.5 V battery to a 9V battery.
What modifications do I need to do to the circuit? (I am obviously a
beginner).

rather than question why you would want to do so, I'll suggest an answer.

I assume you either want to have all your gear run off one power supply, or
you want to keep buying only one type battery(I suggest the single supply
idea, as batteries add up).

I don't think a LM78015 (does this exists?) would do it as the input voltage
would be too high and cause a lot of juice to be lost due to heat (and
lessen the life of your battery a LOT)

tell us what the power usage in milliamps is and maybe you could just use a
simple resistor voltage splitter.

I can almost bet that someone is going to suggest a DC-DC converter that is
a 1000 times more complicated that what you need.

in fact. here's the circuit you need......2 resistors tied in series. one
resistor will be 6 times the size of the smaller resistor. the smaller
resistor needs to equal the total resistance of the circuit in question,
which you calculate using ohms law and the current capabilities of the
circuit that needs the 1.5 volts.

corrections anyone?

Posted to alt.electronics
John Fields

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:34:25 -0800, GuitarPsych
wrote:

Thank you!
It is the FZ-1A listed on this diagram.

---
OK, It looks like you can just go ahead and connect the battery and
adjust the 50k pot (shown as R6 on the attached simulation) to get
the output you need, but you might have to short out the 2.2k and
remove the 22k resistors shown on your schematic in order to keep
the second transistor from going into saturation.

I couldn't find a germanium PNP spice model, so I went ahead and
used silicon just to see what would happen, and it looks like if you
can get the base of the second transistor biased close enough to
ground, you can get it to work. The thing hardly draws any current,
so the 9V battery ought to last a while, but when it starts getting
weak you can get sone extra life out of it by adjusting the pot
again, as required...

If you want to fool around with it you can download the simulator
from:

http://www.linear.com/company/software.jsp

and here's the circuit file:

Version 4
SHEET 1 952 680
WIRE -544 304 -544 -32
WIRE -544 544 -544 384
WIRE -400 304 -400 224
WIRE -400 544 -544 544
WIRE -400 544 -400 384
WIRE -400 592 -400 544
WIRE -304 224 -400 224
WIRE -192 224 -224 224
WIRE -96 224 -128 224
WIRE -96 352 -96 224
WIRE -96 544 -400 544
WIRE -96 544 -96 432
WIRE -32 224 -96 224
WIRE 32 -32 -544 -32
WIRE 32 176 32 -32
WIRE 32 288 32 272
WIRE 32 352 32 288
WIRE 32 544 -96 544
WIRE 32 544 32 432
WIRE 112 288 32 288
WIRE 192 -32 32 -32
WIRE 192 32 192 -32
WIRE 192 288 176 288
WIRE 192 288 192 112
WIRE 224 288 192 288
WIRE 224 352 224 288
WIRE 224 544 32 544
WIRE 224 544 224 432
WIRE 272 288 224 288
WIRE 336 -32 192 -32
WIRE 336 32 336 -32
WIRE 336 208 336 112
WIRE 336 240 336 208
WIRE 336 544 224 544
WIRE 336 544 336 336
WIRE 384 208 336 208
WIRE 496 208 448 208
WIRE 496 352 496 208
WIRE 496 544 336 544
WIRE 496 544 496 432
WIRE 624 208 496 208
WIRE 688 -32 336 -32
WIRE 688 16 688 -32
WIRE 688 128 688 96
WIRE 688 160 688 128
WIRE 688 544 496 544
WIRE 688 544 688 256
WIRE 752 128 688 128
WIRE 864 128 816 128
WIRE 864 288 864 128
WIRE 864 432 864 368
WIRE 864 544 688 544
WIRE 864 544 864 512
FLAG -400 592 0
SYMBOL pnp -32 176 R0
WINDOW 0 51 33 Left 0
WINDOW 3 48 63 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName Q1
SYMATTR Value 2N5087
SYMBOL res 16 336 R0
SYMATTR InstName R1
SYMATTR Value 10k
SYMBOL cap 176 272 R90
WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 0
WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 0
SYMATTR InstName C1
SYMATTR Value 1e-6
SYMBOL pnp 272 240 R0
SYMATTR InstName Q2
SYMATTR Value 2N5087
SYMBOL res 320 16 R0
SYMATTR InstName R2
SYMATTR Value 10k
SYMBOL res -112 336 R0
SYMATTR InstName R3
SYMATTR Value 1e6
SYMBOL cap -128 208 R90
WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 0
WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 0
SYMATTR InstName C2
SYMATTR Value .01e-6
SYMBOL res -208 208 R90
WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0
WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0
SYMATTR InstName R4
SYMATTR Value 100k
SYMBOL voltage -400 288 R0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName V1
SYMATTR Value SINE(0 1 1000)
SYMBOL res 176 16 R0
SYMATTR InstName R5
SYMATTR Value 470k
SYMBOL res 208 336 R0
SYMATTR InstName R6
SYMATTR Value 50k
SYMBOL cap 448 192 R90
WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 0
WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 0
SYMATTR InstName C3
SYMATTR Value 1e-6
SYMBOL res 480 336 R0
SYMATTR InstName R7
SYMATTR Value 10k
SYMBOL pnp 624 160 R0
WINDOW 0 43 34 Left 0
WINDOW 3 57 63 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName Q3
SYMATTR Value 2N5087
SYMBOL res 848 272 R0
SYMATTR InstName R8
SYMATTR Value 22k
SYMBOL res 848 416 R0
SYMATTR InstName R9
SYMATTR Value 22k
SYMBOL cap 816 112 R90
WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 0
WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 0
SYMATTR InstName C4
SYMATTR Value .0033e-6
SYMBOL res 672 0 R0
SYMATTR InstName R10
SYMATTR Value 10k
SYMBOL voltage -544 400 R180
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName V2
SYMATTR Value 9
TEXT -578 616 Left 0 !.tran .1

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

Posted to alt.electronics
GuitarPsych

Ok, thanks for the info. Regarding linear.com, I can't seem to figure
out what software to download ... there are many options yet none
clearly say "circuit simulator".

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.electronics
JeffM

GuitarPsych wrote:
I can't seem to figure out what software to download
there are many options yet none clearly say "circuit simulator".

You're looking for a SPICE package:
Linear Technology's Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis
(LTspice) aka "SwitcherCAD III".
(Direct link) http://ltspice.linear.com/software/swcadiii.exe
..
..
Your posting style:
The gold standard is
to leave the name of the person to whom you are responding
and just enough of the previous post to give "context"
which reminds the next reader/responder
what the last part of the thread mentioned.

Your new text goes BELOW that.
(Note how I did it.)

Posted to alt.electronics
nikhilele

better u use a step-down/buck DC-DC convetor which will give u a nice
1.5v from a 9V battery.

U might be doing this to have longer life of battery.

if u r using 9V - 1.5V linear voltage regulator you will waste a large
amout of power.

So go for switching regulator.
they price less then 1$.

Posted to alt.electronics
Tater Schuld

"nikhilele" wrote in message
oups.com...
better u use a step-down/buck DC-DC convetor which will give u a nice
1.5v from a 9V battery.

U might be doing this to have longer life of battery.

if u r using 9V - 1.5V linear voltage regulator you will waste a large
amout of power.

So go for switching regulator.
they price less then 1$.

got a source for these?