Electronics (alt.electronics)

Kerry Lord

Default capacitor or something to provide steady 110V to stop breakers from blowing

Hello All,

We have a converted bus and when we travel we mostly plug into regular 15 to
20 amp outdoor GFI outlets. We have a few lights, RV frig, few heaters, bat
chargers, etc and this almost always blows the breaker at the outlet we are
plugged into.

Does anyone know of any products or perhaps someone can help me make
something using high power capacitors that will deliver greater amperage for
our bus while only drawing up to 15-20 amps from the source?

Thanks In Advance!

John Fields

On Mon, 09 May 2005 13:09:33 GMT, "Kerry Lord"
wrote:

Hello All,

We have a converted bus and when we travel we mostly plug into regular 15 to
20 amp outdoor GFI outlets. We have a few lights, RV frig, few heaters, bat
chargers, etc and this almost always blows the breaker at the outlet we are
plugged into.

Does anyone know of any products or perhaps someone can help me make
something using high power capacitors that will deliver greater amperage for
our bus while only drawing up to 15-20 amps from the source?

What you are asking for is impossible.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Andrew

We have a converted bus and when we travel we mostly plug into regular
15 to 20 amp outdoor GFI outlets. We have a few lights, RV frig, few
heaters, bat chargers, etc and this almost always blows the breaker at
the outlet we are plugged into.

Does anyone know of any products or perhaps someone can help me make
something using high power capacitors that will deliver greater
amperage for our bus while only drawing up to 15-20 amps from the
source?

Umm wouldn't it be wise to think that if your circuit breaker is tripping
then there is a reason for this?

Obviously all your appliances are drawing more than the circuit breaker is
rated for. The circuit breaker is there for a reason, which is to prevent
too much current flowing which includes two important reasons for doing so.

Firstly, so you don't end up dead by electricution.

Secondly, so you don't end up dead when your power cable overheats, catches
on fire and burns your bus down.

The best suggestion anyone can give you is go find an electrition. He or
she would possibly be able to seperate the appliances onto seperate
circuits with two circuit breakers.

It is possible that you are just using too much stuff. From my experience
with motorhomes/caravans etc, the fridge consumes a lot of power, thats why
we use three-way fridges and run them on gas when the bus is stopped.

Maybe you should rethink all the appliances you are running. Running the
fridge on gas (when you are stopped) if you can will save power.

Might also be possible to have some appliances seperately connected to a
second outlet at your caravan park or running from a seperate generator.

Lots of different ideas, but what you are thinking of is either dangerous
or impossible.

Cheers,

Andy S.
remixreality.zor.org
John Musselman

I'll guess that your "few heaters" are adding up to too much current. Try
adding up their ratings. You might do better with one larger heater. It
will run more but draw less peak current. I'll bet you blow the breaker
when your "few heaters" all cycle on at the same time.

Also, charge your batteries when you are out and the heaters are off.

John Musselman

"Kerry Lord" wrote in message
Hello All,

We have a converted bus and when we travel we mostly plug into regular 15
to 20 amp outdoor GFI outlets. We have a few lights, RV frig, few
heaters, bat chargers, etc and this almost always blows the breaker at the
outlet we are plugged into.

Does anyone know of any products or perhaps someone can help me make
something using high power capacitors that will deliver greater amperage
for our bus while only drawing up to 15-20 amps from the source?

Thanks In Advance!

Landon

Hi,

You need to disconnect everything and then start plugging everything in
one at a time until you find which device/unit is blowing the breaker.
Having an clamp on amp guage would deffinately help, if something is
drawing more current that what is stated on its sticker it needs to be
repaired or replaced.

Heaters draw a LOT of current when they are first turned on, try turning
them on one at a time and then waiting a few minutes before you turn on
the next one.

You could also have a loose connection in the AC wiring on the bus
somewhere, this will cause the current consumption to go WAY up.

You should also add up all the devices that are running on the 120AC
circuit, you may find that you are drawing WAY more than 15/20 amps.
All of your electrical devices should at least be marked with their
wattage, hopefully it has the amperage.

Converting to AMPS is easy, one of the electrical "laws" (like Ohm's
law) covers it: Wattage = amps multiplied by the voltage.

Or in your case, Amperage = watts divided by the voltage, (in layman's
terms) add up the wattage of everything and then divide it by 120, the
number you end up with is your total amperage draw.

-Landon

Kerry Lord wrote:
Hello All,

We have a converted bus and when we travel we mostly plug into regular 15 to
20 amp outdoor GFI outlets. We have a few lights, RV frig, few heaters, bat
chargers, etc and this almost always blows the breaker at the outlet we are
plugged into.

Does anyone know of any products or perhaps someone can help me make
something using high power capacitors that will deliver greater amperage for
our bus while only drawing up to 15-20 amps from the source?

Thanks In Advance!

Gar

If you are not exceeding the amperage of the GFI breaker then you probably
have a ground fault in one of your pieces of equipment. Try connecting or
disconnecting one at a time to find the faulty equipment.