Best TV tuner sections for over-the-air reception

Old February 14th 05, 07:49 PM
PScooter63

Default Best TV tuner sections for over-the-air reception

I want to buy a new TV for my mom, who refuses to invest in even basic
cable. Her reception's pretty bad on the sets she has now, 'cause she
also won't allow the rooftop antenna to be renovated.

So... who's putting the best-quality tuner sections into their 20" sets
nowadays?

(Even on CATV, my very expensive Panasonic falters where supposedly
"lesser" models from JVC and Samsung do just fine.)

Thanks,
PScooter63

Old February 14th 05, 07:57 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On 14 Feb 2005 11:49:46 -0800, PScooter63 wrote:
I want to buy a new TV for my mom, who refuses to invest in even basic
cable. Her reception's pretty bad on the sets she has now, 'cause she
also won't allow the rooftop antenna to be renovated.

hmmmm.... While taking her out to a nice luncheon, have someone
replace the antenna and all of the exposed transmission line.
Would she even know? (She doesn't still climb up on the roof,
does she? :-)

" 'Tis easier to get forgiveness than permission. "

Jonesy
Old February 15th 05, 02:34 AM
dociscool

As the other poster mentioned, you're much better off just buying a new roof
antenna and replacing the outside coax. Use the existing roof mount and
internal wiring if it's known good. Just about all modern TVs with on screen
tuning have weak receivers really meant for cable or satellite only. The
best OTA reception you'll get out of a modern TV using even the most
expensive amplified rabbit ears is around 15 to 20 miles. You'll spend the
same money trying to find a better TV that probably won't receive much
better than what you have right now. Or...look in the flea markets for a
high qualtiy TV from the 70s like a Zenith, Sylvania, or Quasar as those
will usually pick up all of the regional stations just fine with rabbit
ears. They were really built for long range OTA reception in mind.

ups.com...

Old February 15th 05, 11:13 AM
Jeff Rigby

"PScooter63" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to buy a new TV for my mom, who refuses to invest in even basic
cable. Her reception's pretty bad on the sets she has now, 'cause she
also won't allow the rooftop antenna to be renovated.

So... who's putting the best-quality tuner sections into their 20" sets
nowadays?

(Even on CATV, my very expensive Panasonic falters where supposedly
"lesser" models from JVC and Samsung do just fine.)

Thanks,
PScooter63

Go to antennaweb.org and see what is available in her area. IF there are
quite a few DT stations (digital or HD) in her area you might want to invest
in a HD tuner that can downconvert (most can) to her TV. This in most cases
will give you a perfect picture where it bordered on unwatchable with analog
TV.