DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   JVC AV36950 Picture black, power light blinks on & off (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/88281-jvc-av36950-picture-black-power-light-blinks-off.html)

dejola January 26th 05 03:52 AM

JVC AV36950 Picture black, power light blinks on & off

This evening we were weatching TV on my 1998 vintage JVC AV36950 36" TV
when the screen went black. The red power light started blinking on and
off, and we could hear the sound snap, snap, snap, snap, etc. Also smell
slight odor of hot or burned plastic.

Unplugged set. Plugged it in again. Again blinking red power light and
snap, snap, snap sound.

Anybody care to hazard a guess about what's wrong?
Can I fix it myself?

Thanks.

John Hutchison January 26th 05 12:55 PM

"dejola" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
This evening we were weatching TV on my 1998 vintage JVC AV36950 36" TV
when the screen went black. The red power light started blinking on and
off, and we could hear the sound snap, snap, snap, snap, etc. Also smell
slight odor of hot or burned plastic.

Unplugged set. Plugged it in again.

Why would you plug it back in again after the slight odor of hot or burned
plastic.
Take it to a repair shop for an inteligent estimate of costs to repair.

kip

Art January 26th 05 11:57 PM

Probably a smoke generative hazard, Eh, Bloke the flippin thing is bloody
broke, Eh. Time to consider 1: Replace or 2: repair?? Either one is
definately up to you at this point.
"John Hutchison" wrote in message
.. .

dejola January 27th 05 02:24 AM

Well, well. So that proves the old saying. "Free advice is worth exactly
what you paid for it."

Thanks anyway.

[email protected] January 27th 05 02:37 AM

With the little information you provided, there is no way to even
hazard an educated guess. Obviously something in the set has failed
given the burning smell and the lack of proper functioning.

If you had removed the back off the set with it unplugged and asked
what is the black thing with the big red wire going to the top of the
tube because it has a big hole in it, then we could have guessed what
part had failed but still no way to know how far the damage went into
the electronics. You would need to have someone troubleshoot the set
who knows how to repair electronics.

dejola January 27th 05 10:53 PM

I thought the information about the blinking power light and the snap,
snap, snap sound would have been a clue. Anyway the set is in the repair
shop now and I hope the bill won't break the bank.

Thanks again.