Simon Kay

Default Sony CPD-G400 monitor high voltage block

Hi,

I have a Sony CPD-G400 19" Trinitron monitor which I bought almost 4 years
ago.

Recently I started having problems with it, where it went washed out and
showed diagonal red lines. I reset the monitor and it was OK for a few
days. Then it started going dark.

I took it to a repair guy, who says the high voltage block needs to be
replaced, however Sony here in Australia doesn't carry spares as it is a
current model.

I really like the monitor - it had a really good image before it played up.

Can anyone give me some ideas please?

Thanks,
Simon

Simon:
I doubt if the high-voltage block cound cause that problem.
If the picture goes bright red with retrace lines, I would suspect
an intermittant short within the picture tube gun. My 25" TV does
that about once a week or so.
It might be a short of the red cathode with the heater. In that
case, I would try to power the heater pins with a separate supply.
A small 6.3 volt transformer might work. I have also heard of using
a wire wrapped two turns around the top core of the flyback to generate
the heater voltage.
Hope this helps...
John

Jerry G.

I have seen this type of fault come from either or both the CRT and or
the HV block, as your service man suggested.

Sony is no longer supporting their CRT monitors that are out of
production. They infact stopped all manufacturing of picture tubes, and
the components that go along with them.

Considering that your monitor is 4 years old, no matter how good it
was, and may be, I would suggest to not put any money in to it.

The LCD panels have dropped a lot in price, and I would replace it with
one, rather than to spend a few hundred dollars to fix a 4 year old
monitor.

Jerry G.
======

Simon Kay

Jerry & John,

Thanks for the replies - I appreciate the time you took to reply to my
question.

Much as it irks me, I'll most probablely pull the pin on the monitor & get
another. It just really p---es me off to pay top dollar for something that
should last for years to fail so soon after end of warrenty.

Thanks again,
Simon

oups.com...