Sam Goldwasser

Default Knob for multiturn control

I have a spectrophotometer with a wavelength adjustment like this:

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/multitrn.jpg

but I'm missing the black (in this photo) knob. It must have been accidently
lost before I acquired the device - the knob is easily removed so the
calibration can be adjusted.

Does anyone have an extra knob kicking around or know where to obtain just the
knob?

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

NSM

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
| I have a spectrophotometer with a wavelength adjustment like this:
|
| http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/multitrn.jpg
|
| but I'm missing the black (in this photo) knob. It must have been
accidently
| lost before I acquired the device - the knob is easily removed so the
| calibration can be adjusted.
|
| Does anyone have an extra knob kicking around or know where to obtain just
the
| knob?

Mouser.com amongst many others.

Sam Goldwasser

"NSM" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
| I have a spectrophotometer with a wavelength adjustment like this:
|
| http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/multitrn.jpg
|
| but I'm missing the black (in this photo) knob. It must have been
accidently
| lost before I acquired the device - the knob is easily removed so the
| calibration can be adjusted.
|
| Does anyone have an extra knob kicking around or know where to obtain just
the
| knob?

Mouser.com amongst many others.

Sorry if I missed where in their catalog it might be. They have the
Vishey multiturn assemblies but I don't see knobs sold separately. This is not
just some common knob for a 1/4" shaft. It snaps onto a large outer shaft
that has set screws to permit the relationship of the dial and pot or
whatever is being turned, to be calibrated.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

NSM

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

| Sorry if I missed where in their catalog it might be. They have the
| Vishey multiturn assemblies but I don't see knobs sold separately. This
is not
| just some common knob for a 1/4" shaft. It snaps onto a large outer shaft
| that has set screws to permit the relationship of the dial and pot or
| whatever is being turned, to be calibrated.

I assumed you'd replace the whole assembly. Hard to imagine you could buy
parts for this these days.

Sam Goldwasser

"NSM" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

| Sorry if I missed where in their catalog it might be. They have the
| Vishey multiturn assemblies but I don't see knobs sold separately. This
is not
| just some common knob for a 1/4" shaft. It snaps onto a large outer shaft
| that has set screws to permit the relationship of the dial and pot or
| whatever is being turned, to be calibrated.

I assumed you'd replace the whole assembly. Hard to imagine you could buy
parts for this these days.

Let's see.... Cost of new assembly: $20+S&H. Cost of knob? It's probably
available because I'm probably not the first one to have come across a
device without it. There is nothing wrong the thing, that knob is desiged
to snap off so the calibration can be adjusted.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

NSM

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

| Let's see.... Cost of new assembly: $20+S&H. Cost of knob? It's
probably
| available because I'm probably not the first one to have come across a
| device without it. There is nothing wrong the thing, that knob is desiged
| to snap off so the calibration can be adjusted.

Tell me about it. But, 40 years ago I fixed IF transformers on tube radios
by repairing the coil inside. Now I can't even find most parts I am used to
using!

In fact, see

for the way things are now!!

Maybe Mouser has a suggestion? Or try the maker?

Sam Goldwasser

"NSM" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

| Let's see.... Cost of new assembly: $20+S&H. Cost of knob? It's
probably
| available because I'm probably not the first one to have come across a
| device without it. There is nothing wrong the thing, that knob is desiged
| to snap off so the calibration can be adjusted.

Tell me about it. But, 40 years ago I fixed IF transformers on tube radios
by repairing the coil inside. Now I can't even find most parts I am used to
using!

In fact, see

for the way things are now!!

Maybe Mouser has a suggestion? Or try the maker?

Yeah, something like that, or just live with it.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

NSM

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
| "NSM" writes:

| Maybe Mouser has a suggestion? Or try the maker?
|
| Yeah, something like that, or just live with it.

I know there's now an active trade in Heathkit knobs because apparently the
accountants ordered all the dies destroyed when they closed the kit lines.

Neil

DaveM

"Ross Herbert" wrote in message
On 07 Jan 2005 09:31:00 -0500, Sam Goldwasser
wrote:

"NSM" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
| I have a spectrophotometer with a wavelength adjustment like this:
|
| http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/multitrn.jpg
|
| but I'm missing the black (in this photo) knob. It must have been
accidently
| lost before I acquired the device - the knob is easily removed so the
| calibration can be adjusted.
|
| Does anyone have an extra knob kicking around or know where to obtain
just
the
| knob?

Mouser.com amongst many others.

Sorry if I missed where in their catalog it might be. They have the
Vishey multiturn assemblies but I don't see knobs sold separately. This
is not
just some common knob for a 1/4" shaft. It snaps onto a large outer shaft
that has set screws to permit the relationship of the dial and pot or
whatever is being turned, to be calibrated.

Precisely what are the details of the shaft on which this knob must
fit? One would imagine that if this is not your standard
run-of-the-mill 1/4 inch shaft then this info is vital before anyone
can suggest a source. Unless everyone is familiar with the particular
potentiometer they don't know what the shaft looks like.

Sam,
That looks like a Spectrol style turns counting dial. See Mouser catalog
page 429 http://www.mouser.com/catalog/620/429.pdf, Part No 594-15111 and
see if that is the one you're looking for. Surplus Sales also lists one at
http://www.surplussales.com/ShaftHardware/ShaftH-2.html.

Cheers!!!
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

Sam Goldwasser

wrote:

"NSM" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
| I have a spectrophotometer with a wavelength adjustment like this:
|
| http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/multitrn.jpg
|
| but I'm missing the black (in this photo) knob. It must have been
accidently
| lost before I acquired the device - the knob is easily removed so the
| calibration can be adjusted.
|
| Does anyone have an extra knob kicking around or know where to obtain just
the
| knob?

Mouser.com amongst many others.

Sorry if I missed where in their catalog it might be. They have the
Vishey multiturn assemblies but I don't see knobs sold separately. This is not
just some common knob for a 1/4" shaft. It snaps onto a large outer shaft
that has set screws to permit the relationship of the dial and pot or
whatever is being turned, to be calibrated.

Precisely what are the details of the shaft on which this knob must
fit? One would imagine that if this is not your standard
run-of-the-mill 1/4 inch shaft then this info is vital before anyone
can suggest a source. Unless everyone is familiar with the particular
potentiometer they don't know what the shaft looks like.

It's probably unique to that multiturn dial, has nothing to do with the
potentiomenter or whatever it drives. Likely only available from Vishay
or whowever makes it for them.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Sam Goldwasser

wrote:

"NSM" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
| I have a spectrophotometer with a wavelength adjustment like this:
|
| http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/multitrn.jpg
|
| but I'm missing the black (in this photo) knob. It must have been
accidently
| lost before I acquired the device - the knob is easily removed so the
| calibration can be adjusted.
|
| Does anyone have an extra knob kicking around or know where to obtain
just
the
| knob?

Mouser.com amongst many others.

Sorry if I missed where in their catalog it might be. They have the
Vishey multiturn assemblies but I don't see knobs sold separately. This
is not
just some common knob for a 1/4" shaft. It snaps onto a large outer shaft
that has set screws to permit the relationship of the dial and pot or
whatever is being turned, to be calibrated.

Precisely what are the details of the shaft on which this knob must
fit? One would imagine that if this is not your standard
run-of-the-mill 1/4 inch shaft then this info is vital before anyone
can suggest a source. Unless everyone is familiar with the particular
potentiometer they don't know what the shaft looks like.

Sam,
That looks like a Spectrol style turns counting dial. See Mouser catalog
page 429 http://www.mouser.com/catalog/620/429.pdf, Part No 594-15111 and
see if that is the one you're looking for. Surplus Sales also lists one at
http://www.surplussales.com/ShaftHardware/ShaftH-2.html.

Yeah, both of those are probably the correct dial. Now I just wan that
knob!

Sorry, I didn't mean for everyone to spend their free or not so free time
searching for this. I just thought someone might look at it and say: "Oh,
that... I have a bunch spare knobs here somewhere."

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Bill Janssen

wrote:

"NSM" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
| I have a spectrophotometer with a wavelength adjustment like this:
|
| http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/multitrn.jpg
|
| but I'm missing the black (in this photo) knob. It must have been
accidently
| lost before I acquired the device - the knob is easily removed so the
| calibration can be adjusted.
|
| Does anyone have an extra knob kicking around or know where to obtain just
the
| knob?

I have one or two of those counter dials in my parts box. If you still
need it send Email

Bill K7NOM

[...]

Sam Goldwasser

Bill Janssen writes:

wrote:

"NSM" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
| I have a spectrophotometer with a wavelength adjustment like this:
|
| http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/multitrn.jpg
|
| but I'm missing the black (in this photo) knob. It must have been
accidently
| lost before I acquired the device - the knob is easily removed so the
| calibration can be adjusted.
|
| Does anyone have an extra knob kicking around or know where to obtain just
the
| knob?

I have one or two of those counter dials in my parts box. If you still
need it send Email

Thanks! Will do.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Choosing a HOT WATER RECIRCULATOR for QUICK HOT WATER DELIVERY or for HOT WATER ON D'MAND is now a whole lot easier. [email protected] Home Repair 22 June 7th 06 02:09 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 06:52 AM
JVC GR-DVM70 Broken Off Control Knob MarkC Electronics Repair 0 April 25th 04 07:52 AM
Central Heating control unit replacement - advice please Damian Home Repair 1 December 29th 03 02:35 AM