jake johnson

Default Older Zenith 27": selecting video input

My brother gave me this Zenith 27" TV (built in '97) about a year ago
and today I hooked a DVD player up to its video inputs. Amazingly,
there doesn't seem to be a way via remote control or otherwise to
select this video input. Apparently, I'm not the only one since I've
seen newsgroup postings for this same issue but they haven't included
the solution for me at least. I've turned it to Channel 1 but it
doesn't show the DVD signal. I've gone to Ch 2 and pressed Ch Down
and it pauses for a second but then goes to Ch 125 which is staticy.
The menu doesn't really have much and definitely doesn't cover video
input.

My brother (previous owner) couldn't remember how to get it to work,
but he did have a DVD player plugged into it from what he said (and it
would work). I didn't get the manual with the TV.

Anyways, I'd be very thankful if anyone can tell me how I can use my
DVD player with this TV.
NSM

"jake johnson" wrote in message
om...
| My brother gave me this Zenith 27" TV (built in '97) about a year ago
| and today I hooked a DVD player up to its video inputs. Amazingly,
| there doesn't seem to be a way via remote control or otherwise to
| select this video input. ...

FWIW, I have a much older RCA which uses Ch's 90, 91 and 92 for video in.

Chaos Master

jake johnson is, and always will be:
My brother gave me this Zenith 27" TV (built in '97) about a year ago
and today I hooked a DVD player up to its video inputs. Amazingly,
there doesn't seem to be a way via remote control or otherwise to
select this video input. Apparently, I'm not the only one since I've
seen newsgroup postings for this same issue but they haven't included
the solution for me at least. I've turned it to Channel 1 but it
doesn't show the DVD signal. I've gone to Ch 2 and pressed Ch Down
and it pauses for a second but then goes to Ch 125 which is staticy.
The menu doesn't really have much and definitely doesn't cover video
input.

Try changing to Channel 0 using the remote...

I remember some TV's that used this.

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from somewhere near Porto Alegre, Brazil.
"... one either has a ****, or not. Do you have yours?"

To reply remove "DEAD-SPAM" from address.
NSM

"jake johnson" wrote in message
om...
| My brother gave me this Zenith 27" TV (built in '97) about a year ago
| Anyways, I'd be very thankful if anyone can tell me how I can use my
| DVD player with this TV.

Another idea. Have the DVD hooked up and playing then have the TV scan for
channels if it does that.

jake johnson

"NSM" wrote in message news:WHzpd.3919$VL6.1605@clgrps13...
"jake johnson" wrote in message
om...
| My brother gave me this Zenith 27" TV (built in '97) about a year ago
| Anyways, I'd be very thankful if anyone can tell me how I can use my
| DVD player with this TV.

Another idea. Have the DVD hooked up and playing then have the TV scan for
channels if it does that.

Yep... unfortunately, I've tried channel 0 and the others... and the
channel scan idea. I'm thinking I need to unplug the TV from the wall
plug until it loses its setup so that it can get powered up with the
DVD player connected and retry these ideas. The remote control does
have a 'source' button but its for the VCR section of the remote. It
has no effect in TV mode. I'm really surprised how tough this is.
jake johnson

(Matthew P. Cummings) wrote in message om...
(jake johnson) wrote in message . com...
Anyways, I'd be very thankful if anyone can tell me how I can use my
DVD player with this TV.

The remote should have a button labeled TV/VCR/Source. That is how
it's done from a remote. From within the TV menu you just select the
source option. I don't have one in front of me so just generically go
into the menu and look for something that indicates what source you
want to watch.

Another poster suggested autoprogramming the TV which would work as
long as well if you do not have one of those DVD players that also
puts out on Ch 3/4 and have it hooked up to the coaxial input.

Yes, its the Zenith original remote and it does have a TV/VCR/Source
button but it has no function in TV mode. There isn't really a 'TV
menu' in a strict sense, but the menus that do exist are for selecting
Antenna or Cable, programming, and picture-related controls. That's
about it. I've attached a VCR to the video inputs and still no joy.
About the closest I come is the second's delay that occurs when I Ch
Down from Ch2 (which I thought was where the video input would be
found), but then it falls on static on Ch1. I even added Ch1 through
the menu but this made no difference.

I'm getting the impression that there might be something wrong which
might be causing the inability to select the video input (as strange
as that would be). The only visible problem with the TV is that
there's a reddish haze in the picture between areas of contrast.

Anyways, I appreciate the help.
RonKZ650

There is always a menu available on the front panel to select video input, or
below channel 2 (or 1) will select video. Since you've already tried this stuff
with no success, my guess would be somone has gotten into the service menu and
messed with it or the main module has been changed and never set up correctly.
It's possible to enable or disable the video inputs through the service menu to
suit different models, some of which didn't use the video jacks.
Ron

David Harris

Ummmm.

How about a model numer of the television?

David, on the Illinois prairie.
RonKZ650

Ummmm.

How about a model numer of the television?

Yea, I read back and see it's a 1997 model, but get the model number posted and
there's probably an easy step to take to fix the problem.
HEC Service

Could be the S-video option has been disabled via the customer menu.
This is done so that only the inputs in use are accessible.

Siggy
Home Entertainment Centre

On 26 Nov 2004 16:19:42 -0800, (jake johnson)
wrote:

[...]

Z Man

Input selection should be on the same sub menu as cable/ant.
You should be able to toggle through all inputs with the source button,
or through the menu
If it (AV inputs, S inputs) is/are not there, go to service menu, try
changing the environment parameter.
To get to service menu, press and hold menu til menu goes off screen,
push 9-8-7-6-enter

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

That was when they invented forks.When the VCR was tuned to the zero channel
(with RF modulator) and there was no scart connection (in Europe).Sometimes
you have to pull the antenna plug, when the signal of the (VCR)DVD
interferes with one of the channels.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitri?s
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
[...]

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

Modern DVDs have no RF modulator.No chance with scanning and channel
zero.You can get though an RF modulator for less than 15 euro. here.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitriïs
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

"jake johnson" wrote in message
om...
| My brother gave me this Zenith 27" TV (built in '97) about a year ago
| Anyways, I'd be very thankful if anyone can tell me how I can use my
| DVD player with this TV.

Another idea. Have the DVD hooked up and playing then have the TV scan for
channels if it does that.

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

Something similar happened to a customer of mine.They didn't have the
original remote, so they have to literally pull the antenna plug of the wall
(the signal of one channel is too strong and interferes with the vcr).I told
'em to get a new tv.In av mode, the tv shows a black screen.Anyway, who
needs a tv when there's the internet?

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitri?s
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
wrote:

Yep... unfortunately, I've tried channel 0 and the others... and the
channel scan idea. I'm thinking I need to unplug the TV from the wall
plug until it loses its setup so that it can get powered up with the
DVD player connected and retry these ideas. The remote control does
have a 'source' button but its for the VCR section of the remote. It
has no effect in TV mode. I'm really surprised how tough this is.

Even though the source button in by the VCR controls, it should
operate the TV when the remote is in TV mode. Are you SURE it's the
TV's original remote? If it's a universal remote, it could be
programmed for the wring code. Have you looked in the menu for a
source selection? You could try calling Zenith customer service.
This shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

One unlikely possibility is that the setting in the service menu that
tells the TV which features it has got changed. I've seen this a
couple of times on Zenith TVs.
Andy Cuffe

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

Yes, actually.10,000 hours of tv watching, the poor zenith is about to be
pensioned.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitri?s
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
wrote:

(Matthew P. Cummings) wrote in message

om...

Yes, its the Zenith original remote and it does have a TV/VCR/Source
button but it has no function in TV mode. \

Weel, then something is not right. The TV/VCR/Source button will
select the A/V input on all 1997 Zenith TVs. Since it's not, there's
either something wrong with the TV, or the remote.

Andy Cuffe

NTSC-compatible video signal circuit - ntsc.pdf (0/1) Rico Rivera Electronics 1 April 13th 04 06:57 PM
A Video for Beginners (a bit long) Fred Holder Woodturning 1 September 30th 03 09:37 PM
HELP tuning video belmont5 UK diy 8 September 28th 03 06:56 PM
Zenith IQ3597 Video Problem Mr. Lee Electronics Repair 2 August 27th 03 10:56 PM