Eric

Default Technical report on rabbits ears

Does anybody know of a technical report of the "indoor aerial" I was told a
few years ago the there is no resemblance between the rabbits ears and
aerial theory, just I have a few people who want to argue the point, and
hoping there might be a URL around that might show I'm right or partly
right.

---

Jerry G.

The basic TV rabbit ears are a simple 300 ohm dual dipole antenna. Look
up dipole antennas and you should have some explanations. A dual dipole
antenna is based on the simple single dipole antenna. The 2 dipoles work
in a parallel type of operation to accommodate having a balanced type of
antenna, to match to the 300 ohms.

If you were to add on a 300 ohm to 75 ohm converter, then you can use a
single dipole antenna (single rod type antenna that most of the newer
sets are using for local indoor use). The TV sets that have the single
dipole antenna have the their RF entry in the 75 ohm impedance design.

On the rabbit ears, each dipole is adjustable (length and angle) to
compensate for frequency, reflections, and directivity.

Many of the manufactures of rabbit ears added on traps, and other gadget
type options to make these more adjustable. Many of these add-ons
worsened the rabbit ear performance, and or made them more complicated
to use.

Most of the sites you will find on the web deal with armature radio. The
impedance for communications equipment 50 ohms (52 ohms) by standard.

Antenna Basics:
http://www.electronics-tutorials.com...nna-basics.htm

Antenna Calculator & Information:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennaedcalc.html

--

Jerry G.
======

"Eric" wrote in message
Does anybody know of a technical report of the "indoor aerial" I was
told a
few years ago the there is no resemblance between the rabbits ears and
aerial theory, just I have a few people who want to argue the point, and
hoping there might be a URL around that might show I'm right or partly
right.

---

Dbowey

Jerry G posted:

[...]

A rabbit ears antenna is *not* a dual dipole antenna. It is simply a dipole
antenna adjustable to a half-wavelength through, at least, the low (2-13) TV
channels.

Don

Sofie

"Eric" wrote in message
Does anybody know of a technical report of the "indoor aerial" I was told

few years ago the there is no resemblance between the rabbits ears and
aerial theory, just I have a few people who want to argue the point, and
hoping there might be a URL around that might show I'm right or partly
right.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Eric:
Actually, since rabbit ears are an "open dipole" not a folded dipole, the
impedance of a simple dipole is closer to a nominal 75 ohms..... and that
is only the case if the ears are in a straight line and are not in a
typically found "V" formation. Since rabbit ears are fed with a 300 ohm
twin-lead and usually fed into a 300 ohm to 75 ohm transformer/adapter so it
will plug into the 75 ohm "F" connector on the back of a television or
VCR....... all of these mis-matches significantly reduce the efficiency on
the whole operation...... however..... since rabbit ears are usually only
used in local strong signal areas all of these mismatches in reality are
simply overlooked..... and can work surprisingly well in some areas.
A "folded" dipole, similar to the cheap FM tuner "T" antennas, is optimally
a 300 ohm device and are usually made entirely out of 300 ohm twin-lead
including the nominally 5 to 6 foot long horizontal antenna element that
forms a closed loop.... or "folded dipole." Some cheaper versions of the
FM "T" antenna do not utilize 300 ohm twin-lead and are just a simple "open"
dipole and are usually and properly connected to the 75 ohm terminals on the
back of the FM tuner.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

Eric

I heard a engineering school did tests and came up with the conclusion it
looks like a aerial but that was as far as it got. Then I told this to a
owner that started & owned a aerial manufacturing company, who agreed.

Now personally I don't give too ****s what the out come is, but I wonder who
other people talk too before that make a issue of nothing

"Eric" wrote in message
Does anybody know of a technical report of the "indoor aerial" I was
told a
few years ago the there is no resemblance between the rabbits ears and
aerial theory, just I have a few people who want to argue the point, and
hoping there might be a URL around that might show I'm right or partly
right.

---

---

Leonard Caillouet

....as practiced by "harm" operators...

Leonard

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
"armature radio"

Tee-Hee.

mz

"Jerry G." wrote in message

snip
Most of the sites you will find on the web deal with armature radio.

snip

Eric

My step father had a indoor aerial, it was heap of rubbish, the house was
in view of the transmitter,
if you walked around, the color would come & go, I took it apart, there
was no balum the earth was going direct to one rod and the active part
of the coax was going direct to the other rod,

I made a balum for it, after much experiment (reinventing the wheel using my
aerial theory) came up with the "standard 75 to 300 Ohm balum" giving the
best result. After that the color stayed when you walked around the room.

It seems to me a lot of people don't know "Jack ****" about the indoor
aerials or aerial theory when it comes to talking about them, including the
people who make them.

"Sofie" wrote in message

"Eric" wrote in message
[...]

Mark D. Zacharias

"armature radio"

Tee-Hee.

mz

"Jerry G." wrote in message

snip
Most of the sites you will find on the web deal with armature radio.

snip

Mark D. Zacharias

"armature radio"

Tee-Hee.

mz

"Jerry G." wrote in message

snip
Most of the sites you will find on the web deal with armature radio.

snip

Asimov

"Sofie" bravely wrote to "All" (10 Sep 04 11:04:40)
--- on the heady topic of " Technical report on rabbits ears"

So From: "Sofie"

So "Eric" wrote in message
Does anybody know of a technical report of the "indoor aerial" I was told

few years ago the there is no resemblance between the rabbits ears and
aerial theory, just I have a few people who want to argue the point, and
hoping there might be a URL around that might show I'm right or partly
right.

So - - - - - - - - - - -

So Eric:
So Actually, since rabbit ears are an "open dipole" not a folded dipole,
So the impedance of a simple dipole is closer to a nominal 75 ohms.....
So and that is only the case if the ears are in a straight line and are
So not in a typically found "V" formation. Since rabbit ears are fed
So with a 300 ohm twin-lead and usually fed into a 300 ohm to 75 ohm
So transformer/adapter so it will plug into the 75 ohm "F" connector on
So the back of a television or VCR....... all of these mis-matches
So significantly reduce the efficiency on the whole operation......
So however..... since rabbit ears are usually only used in local strong
So signal areas all of these mismatches in reality are simply
So overlooked..... and can work surprisingly well in some areas. A
So "folded" dipole, similar to the cheap FM tuner "T" antennas, is
So optimally a 300 ohm device and are usually made entirely out of 300 ohm
So twin-lead including the nominally 5 to 6 foot long horizontal antenna
So element that forms a closed loop.... or "folded dipole." Some
So cheaper versions of the FM "T" antenna do not utilize 300 ohm twin-lead
So and are just a simple "open" dipole and are usually and properly
So connected to the 75 ohm terminals on the back of the FM tuner.

How about running a wire across connecting both ends together, then it
would behave more like a large closed loop (triangle?) and having
perhaps a better match it might even show some gain... not sure.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Bald spot? It's a solar panel for a sex machine.

Michael Black

"Asimov" ) writes:

How about running a wire across connecting both ends together, then it
would behave more like a large closed loop (triangle?) and having
perhaps a better match it might even show some gain... not sure.

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Bald spot? It's a solar panel for a sex machine.

When I went off cable back in 1997, given that most of the channels
I wanted were UHF, I just stuck a UHF loop on the set. Actually, I've
got some length of cable between it and the set, so I can move it around,
and hang it high. It works fine for the local VHF channels (the ones
over the line in Vermont and New York being adjacent to local channels
would at the very least need something better than rabbit ears), though
it does indeed need to be placed right to avoid ghostings. On UHF, it
does well enough, and most of those channels are of course down in New York
and Vermont. It's not perfect, but better than nothing. The loop might
not be the solution in other locales, where there are non-local VHF channels.

Michael